Tuesday, May 23, 2017

TTM Triumph: Al Skinner

I haven't done one of these posts in a while now, mostly due to the lack of returns, which usually happens... when you're not actively sending out any requests.

It's been at least six months now since I sent out my last request, even though I was having an almost 80% success rate, I just really got burned out when it came to the letter writing. Having not sent anything out recently, I was a bit surprised to see one of my familiar SASE's arrive in the mail a couple of weeks back. Having not received any of these back for a few months now, I couldn't tear this envelope open quick enough in my attempt to see who it was from.

If I was surprised to even get one of my older requests back, I was even more surprised to see who it was, as I really didn't think this one was ever coming back. My request to Mr. Skinner was part of my very first batch sent out, which according to my records, was on 10/29/15. I remember when I sent this one out, I felt like it was a bit of a risk, because not only weren't there any successful returns posted anywhere online, there weren't even any attempts mentioned anywhere. So all in all, I'm glad I decided to give him a go.

Al Skinner was a beast at UMass, leading the team in rebounding in his sophomore through senior seasons, and in scoring in his junior and senior seasons. During his senior season he also happened to record the first triple-double in team history while playing against St. Peter's, finishing with 28-18-10. He would go on to play three seasons in the ABA with the New York/New Jersey Nets, where along with former fellow Minutemen star, Dr. J, he would win a title during the '75-76 season. After the ABA folded, he played three seasons in the NBA, before retiring after a season playing in Spain. Mr. Skinner is currently the head coach at Kennesaw State.

As always, I would like to send out a big thank you to Mr. Skinner.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love an old Umass guy. I think Petino might have been on that team also. Was a good coach at BC. Politics at the school did him in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, this was another one of those posts that I figured would probably only be of interest to you. And you're right, Rick Pitino and Al Skinner were on the same team for, I think, three years.

      Delete