Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Sweetness... and a baby snake

After doing some rather strenuous work outside yesterday, I'm feeling a bit tired and lazy, so it's just going to be a one card post today:

Part of last year's COMC accumulation, this 1963 Topps Roberto Clemente was probably my biggest individual (not counting auto's) baseball card purchase from the site during the year. Being a Clemente, as well as a high number, this card usually carries a hefty price tag. Obviously mine's got a few condition issues (just a few), but even so, a card like this still sells for $10-15 on eBay, so I didn't think my paying a little under $9 for it was too bad of a deal.

Looking at Roberto's stats for 1963, it was pretty much business as usual as far as his numbers go, although he did have 12 stolen bases that season, which not only was a career high, but also the only time that his swipes reached into the double digits. It's also interesting to note that, in 1963 he set  personal records in games played and at-bats... both of which would be broken in the following couple of seasons.

I'm still not entirely sure if I want to work on the '63 set or not, but either way, this is still a pretty cool card to own... although someday I wouldn't mind getting one that's in a little bit better shape.

And on completely unrelated note, check out this cute little baby grey rat snake that I came across yesterday:

These are non-venomous and extremely common here, but somehow it's still the first one that I have seen. And don't worry, he (or she) was only in this coffee can long enough for me to move him to somewhere safer, as he was in danger of getting stepped on. It's hard to believe that this little fellow might end up reaching upwards of six feet in length, in fact while I'm on the subject...
 
... here's a picture (the head is to the left) that my mom took a couple of years ago showing the only grey rat snake that she has encountered in her time here. According to her, she was tending to her garden, and turned to find this guy curled up next to her feet, which gave her quite the start, as one would expect when finding an almost five foot long snake at your feet. It then proceeded to follow her around for the next hour or so, before disappearing just as quickly as it had arrived. I very much wish I could have seen this one.

Speaking of animals, I also saw a bald eagle this morning (flying very low), and while they were a common site back home, here in Tennessee they're much more of a rarity in the skies... so that was pretty cool too. Okay, I'm done rambling now!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. They have Bald Eagle Days in a nearby town along the Illinois River. Two weekends ago we took part and we enjoyed their all you can eat pancake breakfast then drove along the river road and saw 11 bald eagles. Pretty cool.
    Aside note: I wish I was somewhere warm enough that snakes would be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bald eagle days sounds like it would be pretty neat, from your description, it makes me think of something like whale watching... except on land, and not involving whales :)

      We actually had kind of cold winter here this year, but it's been warming up quick, and I think everyone's (2-footed, 4-footed, no-footed, etc.) itching to be out in the nice weather.

      Delete
  2. Any time you can grab a Clemente that cheap it's a good deal, in any condition.

    Your mom is a lot braver than I am; I would freak the F out if a snake followed me for anywhere close to an hour. My (wife's) niece, on the other hand, loves snakes. She has at least two in her Brooklyn apartment. I have not seen them. I don't think I want to :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that someone else thinks so to.

      As far as the being followed by the snake goes, I've noticed in the couple of years that I've been here, that a number of animals (especially the smaller ones) seem to be infinitely curious when they come across a human doing something. The curiosity factor seems to be strongest in things like bats, certain birds, frogs/toads, snakes, and even some spiders (always the bigger and scarier looking ones). The tree frogs and various toads seem to be the most interested, which I don't mind since it gives me someone to talk to when I'm outside doing stuff, although sometimes they can get in the way, but it is kind of cute when you move them to somewhere safer and then they end up coming back to continue watching.

      Delete
  3. I'm still not used to seeing bald eagles regularly here in minny. They were something I only read about while growing up in socal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I used to see them all the time, I don't know if I ever technically got used to it. Although I always enjoyed seeing the golden eagles more, as their size always made them a much more impressive sight.

      Delete
  4. Sweet Clemente! Now that I've speared the '65 and '71 Clementes, I think the next one on my list is gonna be the '63.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's the case, I'm sure you'll have one in no time at all, especially with you're crazy good card show mojo that you've got going on.

      Delete
  5. I get excited whenever I see someone pick up a Clemente. Congrats. Also, I'm scared to death of snakes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clemente's are very few and far between for me, so thank you!

      I used to have more of a fear of snakes, but it seems to have waned a bit over the last couple of years.

      Delete
  6. A bald eagle and a Clemente = one heckuva post. I've never had a bad experience with snakes, but they kinda freak me out. Your mom is really brave. I probably would have had a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would've been better had I been able to get a picture of the eagle, unfortunately that wasn't an option. My initial reaction to finding that snake curled up at my feet, probably would have been to scream like a girl while trying to jump out of my shoes! Although, I too would have been alright once I identified as a non-venomous species.

      Delete
  7. A $9 vintage Clemente, truly a nice pick up! I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one who converses with wildlife. I've never seen a rat snake but do have garters here. Last spring while raking, I disturbed one. It went right over my shoe and on its way. I did NOT scream like a girl. I love the country life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talk to pretty much every non-bipedal being that I encounter, so you're definitely not alone. And I too love the country, now that I've been here for a couple of years I don't think that I could ever go back to the suburban lifestyle.

      Delete