Tuesday, July 17, 2018

This post's future is so bright, that... blah, blah, blah

So I'm still working through the card show stuff, and anybody who's seen these recaps before, shouldn't be too terribly surprised to find out that I came home with quite a few shiny cards. The scanner has effectively dullified (I know, not a word) many of them, but here they are nonetheless:

This guy seems to be having a pretty decent season. Not a ton of difference between these two, but one's a prism refractor, while the other just a plain old run of the mill refractor.

As far as post-2000 refractors go, the 2001-02 Topps Chromes are my favorite (especially the black ones). I think a couple of these might be duplicates, but I still haven't checked yet.

I think that the Gerald Wallace X-Fractor tried to break my scanner, this substitute picture didn't turn out too bad though.

As per usual, there were a few Lineage refractors to be had...

... as well as some Platinum Diamond Lineage. And speaking of Platinum Diamond...

... I was able to find a needed pair from the regular old Topps set too. I had to pay fifty cents for Ichiro, I think that he was worth it though.

I'm starting to find that it's very difficult for me to pass up cheap (50 cents each) copies of serial numbered 2015 Topps Tek football. Being able to get two of the #'d to /25 Eric Dickerson's was pretty cool, cool enough that I've decided to try find as many of the other 23 as I can. In fact I'm actually going to be doing this with a couple of other cards that I really like, but I'll save those for another blog post.

I took this picture while the Tek's were on the scanner, so it's kind of crappy, but you can still sort of see just how awesome the back of the Dickerson's are.

Just some more random refractors. This is was the first time that I had ever come across a refractor of Junior, pretty neat, although it would have been better if he was shown as a Mariner.

Nick will have to let me know if he want's the Red, it's an Artist's Proof, with a sort of holofoil look to it. Also if anybody wants the pink Cutch, just let me know. The Posey has an almost holographic background that is really impressive in person, I might have to try and find more of those Topps Shelf cards.

Some fun 5/$1 cards in this group. The three Collector's Edge Peyton's are of the Preview variety. I was pretty sure that somebody out there collects him, so I picked up an extra (as can clearly be seen) of his 2000 T3 card, don't be shy if you want it. The Favre is amazeballs in person, and even though you can't tell from the scan, Donovan is a refractor.

Even though I still can't remember what they're called, I was happy to find a few more of these whatchamacallits.

And finally, what card show recap about shiny cards would be complete without some Archives Reserve?

Usually my scanner does a pretty good job with these, but not this time (I think it might be getting ready to crap out), so I had to go the picture route, which didn't turn out too bad... I was able to catch a little bit of the rainbow.

It is going to be a sad day when I eventually complete these, as I just can't imagine not being able to look for them anymore.

Ended up with a couple of duplicates, the Doby is already spoken for, but if anybody wants the others, well, you know the drill.

Found a pair from the football side too. Even though I only bought from two different people at this particular show, I of course still walked around to see everyone else's offerings, while doing so, I spotted a Walter Payton from this set with a $5 price tag. Even though he was calling my name, five bucks was just too much, especially when I've yet to pay more than 50 cents for one of these (usually much less), so Sweetness did not end up coming home with me... maybe I'll find a cheaper copy next time.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I've never met a Refractor I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met a few green ones that I didn't particularly care for.

      Delete
  2. I don't collect basketball anymore... and was out of the hobby when they were first released... but I absolutely love the 2001-02 Chrome basketball refractors. Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't collecting cards at the time of their release either, in fact I found out about them like two years ago, but since then I've been quite enamored with them.

      Delete
  3. Those whatchamcallits are the silver packs that topps gave out when you bought cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for the info! They must of made a lot of those cards then, because there seems to be an awful lot of them out there.

      Delete
  4. I can always appreciate some shiny cardboard, because one really never outgrows our childhood love for shiny objects. (And I can definitely use the Gallery Red and the Donruss Cutch if not already spoken for!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right! And both cards have been set aside for you.

      Delete
  5. gorgeous photos. Not sure how you took these refractor pics. Mine never turn out well unless I take them at a slight angle. I have a complete set of the Lineage refractors. Picked them up CHEAP in 2012 when I came back to the collecting fold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that I can tell you is that my phone can only take those kind of pictures with natural light, man-made lights seem to cause a slight blurring, so I have to hope that I'm around when the sun is at exact right spot... which doesn't seem to happen very often.

      Delete