Monday, February 18, 2019

Are you ready for some more football?

Like it or not, I've got another post here of more football cards from November's card show, on the plus side though, there's a lot more variety today than my previous Prizm only post.

The guy that I got all of the Prizm in the previous post from, had two 3200 ct football dime boxes, and while they weren't the best dime boxes that I've ever gone through, I was still able to find some gems (at least to me) amongst all of the early 90's base cards that made up the bulk of these boxes.

Ten cent refractors are always fun, doubly so when they're of player's that I'm actually familiar with. And the Witten is an Xfractor, so I guess I should say that ten cent Xfractors are always fun as well.

Between these two guys, there's almost too much handsome for one post! Even though I wasn't familiar with this set beforehand (2013 Topps '59 design minis), I couldn't pass up the opportunity at getting my first Tom Brady card.

The scan for 1000-Yard Club Dickerson does not do it justice at all. It is such a cool card in hand, I don't know how to describe it, but it's got a refractor-like quality, but the background, which moves, feels like there depth to it - kind of like a hologram, but not a hologram, if that makes any sense.

The Sayers did not scan well at all, and the Shuler is supposed to have a greenish tint to it... at least the Boz turned out alright though.

A couple of miscellaneous inserts and serial numbered cards here, my favorite being the Red Grange, which I initially thought (because of the shine and depth) was a Prizm insert of some sort, turns out it wasn't, it's from the 2016 Panini Rookies & Stars Great American Heroes insert set.

I was kind of surprised to find a pair of semi-vintage hall of famers, and an autographed semi-vintage hall of very gooder in these boxes. I am fond of autographs, so the Morton was pretty cool, but I really dig the '74 Larry Little - it's just a nice looking card.

It's not every day that you find such clean and sharp cornered 61's in a dime box, I'm not working on the set anymore, but I'll take them just the same. Not only are these in really great shape, but none of these guys were slouches either, both Mutschellar and Patton earned rings with their respective teams, and all three were selected to Pro Bowls.

This would be it as far as my dime box purchases went, but this guy did have a $1 box as well. Not a great box, but I did find the Carter and Tarkenton purple prizms from the previous post in there, as well as this beauty:

Other than being slightly crooked, this photo turned out really well, which is a good thing, because I really wanted everyone to see how neat this Frank Gore gold refractor was. One of my favorite cards from the day for sure, and in case anyone cares, it's also #'d to 50.

Between these, the Prizms, and some of the baseball from the first post, I did pretty well with this new seller, hopefully I'll see him there again some time.

Now, if that wasn't enough football for you, I also got a few things from Jim's 6/$1 boxes:

You can never go wrong with lenticular, unless you're scanning it, then apparently you can wrong with the Collector's Edge Quantum Motion cards.

People seem to either love or hate Colin Kaepernick, me, I'm indifferent towards him (as I am with most athletes), I do however love acetate inserts, so Colin wasn't about to be left behind. And it's hard to tell, but the Dez is a mini sepia refractor, who knew that there even was such things?

Some cool miscellaneous 90's (and 2000) inserts/parallels, please forgive the wonky scan.

Here's something that was new to me, 1993 Pro Set Power Combos Prizms. I will fight anyone that says that these aren't the coolest thing you've seen all day!

As interesting as these are, they're also a bit confusing. The backs are being shown with both cards being right side up, but you can tell that the Chargers isn't oriented properly, also the numbering is different. At first I thought it was an error of some sort, turns out it isn't, as they're from two different insert sets - Power Combos Prizms, and Power Combos Prizms PC. From the front, they look the same to me, so other than the numbering, I have no idea what the difference is.

How about a 1970 Kellogg's for just 15 cents? I don't ever see any Kellogg's at shows, so to find this one, which is in absolutely mint condition, was a real treat. This is actually my first ever card from that set as well, now if I could just find a few more at this price...

I did pick up a few basketball cards at this show as well (not nearly as many as usual though), and had intended to show them in the next post, but after looking at the scan again - which didn't turn out too well - I think I'll just wait and dump them in an odds and ends post somewhere down the road, I don't have much to say about them either, so they'll be better suited for that kind of setting.

If all goes well, I'll be attending one of the twice a year mega shows this weekend, so I just might have another series of card show posts in three months time :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

20 comments:

  1. Lots of nice cards there Jon. Love that Kelloggs. I have some of those Power Combos somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have some of those Power Combos somewhere"... than you are a most fortunate fellow indeed!

      Delete
  2. Wow, some great variety! Lenticular all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that Lenticular was still so popular?

      Delete
  3. Whoa. I need the mark brunell and Kordell Stewart lol. Great pickups overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention it, but the Kordell is great because it's one of those dual photo lenticular cards, which you don't see very much anymore.

      Delete
  4. Completely agree on lenticular. Why aren't there more of those today?? I think Opening Day had the "Opening Day Stars" a few years ago, but I can't think of many other recent ones. There's definitely no "Topps Sportflics" set coming out...

    I have the Chad Pennington of that "E-X" set...those are lovely.

    Excellent finds - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're too creative for modern sets, it's much easier to just cut up an old t-shirt and call it good.

      I picked up a few more of the E-Xceptional inserts over the past year on COMC, they'll be in my COMC posts once I start getting to them (hopefully this week).

      Delete
  5. I should really try and expand my football collection. There are some awesome designed cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea! I've been amazed by all the different kinds of cards that I've been finding since I started focusing on football again last year.

      Delete
  6. Very nice finds! That was a heck of a dime box -- and the Dave Robinson is fantastic! Gore, Carter, and Tarkenton are terrific dollar buys as well.

    I stumbled across those Power Combos variations when cataloging my cards on TCDB (I dont have any, I was just adding '90s Packers to my wantlist) it was surprising to find that even in 1993 the parallels were already getting out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind parallels, I just expect them to be a parallel of something, as mentioned, I can't even tell these apart from the front... so I guess it's a parallel number?

      Delete
  7. I was in awe as soon as I saw the Aaron Rodgers refractor... but then I started seeing stuff like that Morton signed 75T card. That's a solid dime box haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised to find the Morton auto for only dime, I mean I know he's still alive and signs a lot, but I would still expect his signature to go for a little more.

      Delete
  8. Awesome card pickups, really like that 1970 Kellogg's #15 Dave Robinson. It's in much better shape than mine (I actually mailed away for the complete set when it was issued and still have the set. Unfortunately, they curled considerably soon after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had to be pretty cool to get the whole set in one full swoop, saves you the trouble of having to eat hundreds of boxes of Corn Flakes just to complete the set. That's too bad about the curling, but I would imagine that that was common for the time, especially since you didn't have the option of putting them in top loaders.

      Delete
  9. you picked some gems! Clay Matthews - wow - he has no neck! Can't go wrong with any dime box 61s and 15 cents for mint Kelloggs? I usually take an 800 count box with me and fill it at my fave dime box table. I can't help but wonder what I've missed by looking over only baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he does have a neck, it's just that the photo makes him look neckless. An 800 count box wouldn't do you much good here, as most of (if not all) of the dime boxes at these shows are made up of cards in toploaders. And wondering about what has been missed is something that, I believe, every collector ever has thought about.

      Delete
  10. Nice haul! If you want Heath Shulers - hit me up! I have plenty of extra Redskins from that time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not looking for Shuler in particular, just interesting inserts and parallels.

      Delete