Sunday, November 15, 2020

So many pockets, so little time!

                                           
Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you with someone who's arms were full, but desperately needed something out of their pocket? They couldn't put whatever it is down, so they turned to you and asked if you could reach into their pocket and get whatever it was for them. You're not too keen on reaching into people's pockets, and are prepared to tell them as much, but before you can they hit you with old doe eyes and quivering lip routine. You try to resist, but it's just too much. Seconds later you begrudgingly agree to do so. They tell you which it pocket it is, and then turn a certain way to make it easier for you to achieve your goal, which it does, but also draws stares from curious onlookers. You take a deep breath, prepare for the worst, and reach in. Your deepest fears are quickly realized when your fingers encounter what later turns out to be a moist half-eaten sandwich, who's presence had been forgotten, and obviously went unmentioned by the owner of said pocket. Fearing what else may be found should you venture back in, you refuse any further pleas to make another attempt, a decision that ends up forever marring your relationship.

I hear a bunch of no's being shouted from the gallery, which I expected, I mean such a scenario has never happened to me either, but I have imagined similar scenes occurring the couple of times that someone has asked me to retrieve something from their pocket.

One persons pockets who I'm not afraid to reach into however are Julie's, she may be A Cracked Bat, but I think that we've all learned by now that she stores cards in her pockets, lots and lots of cards. 

I have no proof of it, but I'm convinced that at least part of Julie's daily attire must be made up of some sort of tactical gear, I can't think of anything else that sports so many pockets.

Not only are Julie's pockets full of cards, but they're good cards too, cards that folks actually want, no 2012 Triple Play for those pockets!

I believe Julie's 'Pick Pockets' feature is one of the older kinds of free stuff giveaways, it's been going on for most of this year, maybe longer, I don't know, I can't remember when she fired it up. I do know that I've claimed more than few cards from them, but had yet to show any here on the blog.

I mentioned in the last post that I had three scan folders going for Julie, last time was Julie1, and today the contents of Julie2 and Julie3 are being featured, all of which were cards obtained through Pick Pocket posts.

Everything was sort of in order of acquisition, but that got monkeyed with when I added a few cards that had accidently been added to another folder back to one of the "Julie's", and didn't take two seconds to properly label them. And now Blogger has done the old reverse order thing when the pictures were added to the post (Oh new Blogger, we were getting along so well!), I moved a few of them around, but got tired of playing with them, so I'm just gonna leave them half askew, it's not like anyone would've known had I not mentioned it.

Artistically speaking, one of these turned out much better than the other.

Scannily (it's a word, or at least it is according to Gogle 😉) speaking, one of these came out much better than the other. And speaking of scanning...

Jay from Card Hemorrhage said the other day that he was taking a break thanks to the poor performance from his new scanner. He didn't provide an example of what he was referring to, so I can't say for certain, but I'm willing to bet that it can't be any worse than what mine does to certain cards (i.e. most cards), with this Junior and the wonderful Curt Flood Deckle that led off the post being prime examples.

Looking at some of these cards that were gotten probably back in January or February, I can't figure why I scanned some of them the way I did. I mean why did I pair a 90's SI Kids with a modern finest? The only thing they have in common, at least that I know of, is that they're both awesome. Although, every time I see the Shaq card I have to do a double take, because the first glance always reads as "Snack" O'Neal, which could apply to his later career, but not so much to those early Orlando days.

It's not as bad as the previous pair, but here's another odd grouping, or not. I could just say it has a 'retro theme', three older players, and one older design? Stan should've gotten his own scan though, as it's by far my favorite card in this post.

Gypsy Queen is one of those brands that I just don't understand, and honestly don't care too. Most of the cards, and set designs, don't do anything for me. However (there's always a however), I will occasionally see one, or two, that strike my fancy, often in dime boxes, but in this case it was the Pick Pockets -- which worked out better, because I didn't have to go to Nashville to find them. I think I might be one of the few bloggers who'll admit to being a fan of MadBum's, and even though I have a small collection dedicated to him, I don't go out of my to find cards for it, anybody know why? Anyone? Did I hear someone say derpy face? If so, you are correct! Like 90% of his cards look similar to the above example, with many actually being worse. And it's definitely not what you'd call an aesthetically pleasing image, certainly not one that I'd be willing to shell out big bucks for. Dimes yes, dollars no.

As mentioned, the cards in this post are from all throughout the year, with all dates and times being lost to me. However (see, there's another one), I do remember the shiny Satchell, he came form the second to last round of Pick Pockets, and was the only card from that round that I claimed. I actually saw it the night that Julie put the page up, but after realizing that I only wanted one card, decided to sit back and see if anyone else wanted it more. Apparently they didn't, because it was still available for me to get a few days later.

Being the uber-generous soul that she is, Julie also included this nifty Junior to keep Satchell company during his journey south. I always forget that Sportflicks (or Sportflix) was still around in '95, heck, sometimes I even forget that I was still around in '95. I know someone who wishes it was still 1995... Junior! The world was still his oyster back then, and there seemed to be no limit to what he was going to be able to accomplish. Injuries are a real b*tch, especially when they happen to the good guys.

And with that, I am now caught up with all of the Julie folders... huzzah! Thanks again for letting me take so many cards from your pockets, Julie, and despite it taking me many, many, many months, to say so publicly, I really do appreciate it.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Julie would have to verify this, but she's been letting us pick our pockets for about two years now. My first claim was in January of 2019 and, unless I was one of the first to discover her Pick Pockets promotion (which I doubt because I'm rarely first for anything) I'm thinking she offered up some cards a little bit before that time.

    You picked some great cards, including the Flood, Jordan, and Satchel. The red bordered Musial is fantastic, too.

    This post reminds me that I really need to clean up my card scans. I've got dozens that don't make sense to me or dont fit a theme. Perhaps it's time to purge some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that wouldn't be good, as it might mean that some of these cards are even older than I thought they were!

      I figured you'd be down with the Musial too.

      Most of my stuff is pretty orderly, but these folders were a mess. I do have one COMC folder that can probably be purged though, the cards in it are not going to be of interest to anyone else, and I don't think that I'll be able to jazz them up at all.

      Delete
  2. I wish they’d do more Sporflicks or 3D cards these days. Miss that technology for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care much for the Sportflicks way back when, but have come to appreciate them more in recent years.

      Delete
  3. If you had posted this two weeks ago, I would have said I couldn't remember the last time I dug something out of another person's pocket. But last week, I grabbed the keys out of my friends pocket, b/c she was carrying our boba drinks.

    P.S. Julie sure has some awesome stuff in her pockets. Those Sport Kings are sweet. Love that set. Wish Sage would come back and create a 2020 version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's okay, I'll just have to say that I can't remember the last time I was asked for the both of us :)

      Delete
  4. Julie's always generous pockets are full of goodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're describing Willy Wonka :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know how much Junior is pining for '95, I think his career and life turned out OK. That Lajoie card is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, but people will always wonder how much more he could've accomplished without the injuries, which makes me think that he would have to wonder somilar things from time to time as well.

      Delete
  6. Chris is likely correct on the date. I start Pick Pockets in early 2019 but didn't mention it on the blog. I thought I'd wait to see how long it would take for folks to notice the new tab on my blog. It's been lot fun for me. I get a kick seeing the choices y'all make. Latest picks all hit the mail today so you'll have a new envelope soon. :) Thanks for the nice post(s). Pockets the Clown thanks you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention that, I do recall them being around longer. I remember seeing them, but didn't want to claim anything, lest I come across looking greedy. Obviously I wasn't able to resist forever though.

      Delete