Tuesday, December 29, 2020

I hadn't been dreaming of a white Christmas

When I got up Christmas morning it was 16° with a real feel of 3° outside, making it our coldest morning of the year. And if that wasn't bad enough, it had done this during the night/wee hours of the morning:

At 18/10°, Christmas day became the coldest day of the year, The real feel never got above single digits. It wasn't cool. Or I guess technically it was cool, but it wasn't cool

It snowed it a bit more during the day, even though it wasn't supposed to be doing so. I don't know about the weather people in your area, but the so called "forecasters" here, haven't been doing their job so well as of late (or really all year for that matter). 

Knowing ahead of time that it was at least going to be colder than normal on Christmas, my mom and I's now annual Christmas hike had to be taken two days earlier when it was a slightly more comfortable 54° out. [I mention it every year, but for those that don't know, or don't remember, my mom's birthday is on Christmas. A few years ago she suggested going for an impromptu hike on that day, and not being one to deny a birthday request, or need much persuasion to go wander around in the woods, we did; and it's sort of been a tradition ever since]

I didn't take a lot of pictures this year, but did have a nice time nonetheless. Well, save for a pitbull that was briefly pushing my patience to it's utmost extreme. It was obviously someone's pet, but I'm not  huge fan of dogs in general (incident when I was young), especially when they're being aggressive, and pet or not, this one was walking that very thin line between just being annoying and being a threat. 

As I said, the day itself was pretty good, but Wednesday night was a whole 'nother matter. The coming cold front met up with the "warm" air that was already here, which produced big winds all night, and dumping rain the next day. Before eventually turning into snow. I didn't get a lot of sleep Wednesday night (I think I might have a slight case of PTSD from the big storm earlier this year), but at least no trees came down this time, branches yes, trees no.

Despite the snow, and cold, Christmas day itself wasn't too bad. I spent most of the day doing small projects around the house, even completing a few.

And even though I'm long past the asking for anything on Christmas age, I still got a few things, two of which did fit in with the blogs normal content, so...

My mom did really well with this one! Horror magazines are always a welcome sight, Eerie being one of the more desirable for me. It's also a SPECIAL CHRISTMAS ISSUE, so that seemed rather appropriate for the day.

I don't own a coffee table, but am still partial to certain coffee table books.

I haven't started reading it yet, but did skim through the pages. This book is loaded with images of expensive books that I will never own, and hopefully the content will be able to live up to the pictures.

I wasn't feeling very Christmas-y this year, but all-in-all the holiday season turned out to be better than I expected. Given the less than stellar year we've had, I hope that all of you reading this were able to say the same!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Sitting here on the Florida/Georgia line we didn't get any of the white stuff (I'm thankful), but we were cold 28 degrees on Christmas morning and that wasn't the lowest last week (24, 25, 25). Supposed to get 3 more days in the mid twenties again after the New's year Day rain. Tell your mom Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a headline about iguana's freezing in FL, but didn't click on it, as it sounded like it was going to be sad, too sad! 28 degrees isn't no picnic either, but at least you were able to avoid the snow. I passed along your well wishes, mom said thank you :)

      Delete
  2. My area had an inch of snow on Christmas. The temps have been oddly above normal. New Years' week will have highs of 40. My Okies had 8 or so inches over a couple of days a week or so ago. All I can say is - I ain't ah complainin'! Hope your weather improves quickly. :) Happy New Year, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were back in the 50's, which has been a little better. There's still plenty of room for improvement though! And thank you, I hope that your year will be happier as well :)

      Delete
  3. Send some snow down to the SoCal region. I miss the snow! Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have it all, Ryan! And thank you, I hope that you and your family have an awesome year as well.

      Delete
  4. A. I love the cold... but if it's less than 30 degrees... that's a bit too much.

    B. The tradition of walking with your mom on her birthday is awesome.

    C. I love dogs... but dogs off the leash without their owners freak me out.

    D. Cool presents from you mom. I'd love to read Night of the Jackass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. I dislike it immensely. Anything less than 65 is no good!

      B. Agreed. I hope it never ends!

      C. Dogs off leashes is the norm for rural TN. I don't like it, but have grown accustomed to it.

      D. Maybe I'll scan it, and do a post about it at some point?

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of nature. I just had a lot of wind and rain, so much so that it washed away all of the snow that was on the ground and kept my sump pump VERY busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have a sump pump to be kept busy, life would probably be much less pleasant without it.

      Delete
  6. Love the snow pictures. Here in SoCal we just had a rather big storm that left snow in our San Gabriel Mountains. In fact, earlier on Tuesday I could see snow on the mountains from my front door. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss mountains, there aren't any real mountains here in TN, just hills that people call mountains.

      Delete
  7. You will be surprised by my blog post on Saturday then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will I? I guess we'll have to wait and see just how surprised I actually am :)

      Delete