Thursday, February 25, 2021

Rattled by McKay's

I got a lot of stuff to get to here today, so please forgive the lack of buildup. For those that need something though, okay, I got you -- my once a month yearning to go to McKay's (heaven for lovers of all things physical media) came upon me a couple of weeks back , so I made the trip to Knoxville in order to satisfy my desire. Cool? Cool.


I though I'd start with something different for a change. I struck out on toys, I mean they had a bunch, but nothing for me. I did however find this really nifty slammer in one of the two very full fast food premiums bins. I know for a fact that I never saw one of these way back when, and looking around online, it appears that One & Only Toy and Games Inc. only made a couple of pog related items, including at least three different slammers that were packaged like this -- though this is the only one that "rattled". I think that it's partially filled with BB's, or something very similar to, which makes for a fun effect, but would've made for a sh*tty slammer. Something that's shifting it's weight while being thrown down would have been less than ideal, and wouldn't have had the desired effect, i.e. flipped over very many caps. And it may have sucked as far as Pog playing goes, but it does look cool, and I enjoy seeing it hung up on my wall everyday.


I remember being in a Border's (anyone still remember that bookstore?) back in '02 (I had to look inside the book cover to get the year), and coming across this book while I was perusing the new releases. It seemed like such an odd book at the time, but did sound really interesting nonetheless. The new release price was much more than I'll ever spend on a book, so I had to settle for checking it out at the library not too long after. It was an excellent book, very well researched, and I had planned on buying a copy once they started going down, but than the usual happened, I ended up forgetting all about it almost immediately after I had to return it. And it stayed forgotten until sometime around this past Christmas when I came across a reference to it in another book. I started looking for a copy online, but couldn't find one under $7 (not including shipping), so I held off and hoped that I could find a cheaper one the next time I went to McKay's, and I did! $1.50 is heckuva lot better than $7. I've got about 50 pages left to finish my long overdue reread, and I'm happy to report that it's just as good now as it was almost twenty years ago, possibly even better. I don't recommend things very often, but I'd so with this book, or at least I would to any history lovers out there.


I recently spoke of my first experience reading Graham Masterton, which I concluded by saying that I'd have to read something else of his, as I couldn't quite gauge his abilities from that one book, so this was me getting another one of his books to try.


Is it weird for someone who wants absolutely nothing to do with large bodies of water, to get great joy from reading maritime stories? Asking for a friend ;-)


I'm fairly certain that there are no Forever Knight fans reading this, so I won't bore anyone by going on endlessly about it, but will mention that the show was a childhood favorite, and would still make my top 10 favorite shows list. The books started up after the show had ended, and are usually terribly difficult to find, especially for a budget-conscious reader. Finding one that I don't have for 95¢ was pretty cool, of course like a lot of things at this point, nobody remembers the show (or the original television movie), and nobody cares about the books, so there's really no reason for them to still be expensive.

I was more than pleased to find that they had marked down a bunch (100+) of compilations and added them to the bargain CD section (95¢ or less), took me quite awhile to look through them though:


I think I've already discussed these before, but back in the glorious pre-internet days, the Living in Oblivion series was tops among 80's compilations, and used to be rather pricey, key word(s) "used to be". Nowadays they can be had for the price of a song, literally... assuming that that song is a dollar. That's how much it costs to download a song, right? I don't know, I've never downloaded music before, but either way, this was less than a dollar, so if a song costs a dollar, this was less than a song.


Most of the compilations were of the 50's, 60's, and 70's varieties, which is why it took me so long to look through them. This was the only one that I ended up getting though. I have the Charlie Feathers tracks on vinyl, but don't think that I own any of the others, in any format.


It's funny, the 90's were my prime era for music, but as I've gotten  older, I've begun to dislike the music from that era more and more. I think it's mostly just because I've heard a lot of the radio staples too many times at this point, and don't really need to hear a lot of them anymore. Of course there are some exceptions, some of which are contained on this album.


I wasn't of "clubbing" age during the 90's, but I did spend a lot of time in arcades, and this album reminds me of arcades in the late 90's, more specifically, mall arcades in the late 90's. I really, really, miss those days!

Moving on to the bargain ($1.95 or less) DVD/Blu-Ray section...


This was pretty crazy, I was looking at this show last time I was there, and was semi-tempted to pay $6.95 for it, but ultimately end up passing on it. Fast forward a couple of months, and now I find it for $1.95, which was much more my kind of price. Sometimes patience/cheapness does pay off!


I've mentioned in past McKay's posts that they seem to be including a lot more television show seasons in with their bargain stuff than they used to. Normally though they're shows that I'd never watch, and will never watch, but this time there was a few things of interest (Ip Man being the biggest). I don't know if I had ever planned on watching the Hannibal series or not, I mean I certainly heard enough about it, but for $1.95 it's worth trying. I've never been big on the films, well, save for Manhunter, that one was good, so I will not be surprised if I don't end up liking the show.


This is the slightly edited version of Phenomena. I never knew that a retitled cut existed, and having still not watched it (this version that is), I don't know what has been edited out, but I'll pop it in and find out at some point. This was more of a curiosity get than anything.


I hadn't planned to upgrade my Secret of the Ooze video, but some of this stuff is getting so cheap on Blu-Ray, it seems like I'd be losing out by not doing so.


Like with the Turtles above, AOD was just too cheap not to upgrade. I've had both on video for over 25 years now, and both tapes still work as good as the day I got them, and now with me not needing to put any more wear and tear on them, they'll probably still be in great working order when I'm gone.

Quick fun fact regarding AOD: A former longtime friend of mine's uncle was an extra in the film. Unfortunately I can no longer remember which scene he appeared in, or even what he looked like.

That does it for the actual purchases, but I did pick-up a few freebies on my way in, so...


Current YA fiction doesn't usually do much for me, but this one had catchy cover, and sounds like it could potentially be something. I'm in no hurry to read it, but I know that when I do get around to it I'll probably know within like ten pages or so whether or not it'll be to my liking. It just has the kind of feel to it to me.


Aside from the corner wear, I'm kind of surprised that this would've been out in the free boxes, as it seems like the sort of thing that certain people might've paid at least a dollar for. Heck, I don't even have much interest in things pertaining to New York City, and I would've paid a buck for it.


I'll be starting this one after I finish "Salt", hopefully it'll be as good as it sounds.

Not bad haul this time if I do say so myself. What made it even better too was that my mom had given me list of books that she was looking for, and I was able to knock some of those out as well. Oh, and I took in a bunch of stuff for trade again, and the credit from that took care of everything.

It was relatively early when I got done, and still was by the time I got done eating lunch (I always take my own and eat it in the car when I come out), so I decided to make a few more stops on my way home, the first of which was the Book Cellar:


Young Jon used to LOVE these kind of books, and old Jon still buys and reads them to help hang onto what's left of young Jon. Also, it's a Scholastic book from 1965, so I kind of had to have it.


I had no clue that there was an Elementary book series. I was gonna wait until I read it before looking up how many books there were, as I didn't want to have it spoiled by seeing what kind of rating it's received by random internet dipsh*ts (I've gotten to the point where I absolutely loathe reviews and ratings, especially those of the internet variety).

Not shown is the half-a-dozen more books found from my mom's booklist. My two books were added to by these cassettes that I found in the free boxes on my way out. I knew quite a bit of French at one time, but most of it's gone now. I'm hoping that these tapes might help bring a little of it back. As for Dutch and Russian, well, I don't have a great deal of interest in trying to learn either, but if I can learn a few words, or more importantly, learn to recognize a few words when I hear them, than these will have paid for themselves (which isn't hard to do since they were free).

Besides having the time to do so, the other reason I wanted to stop before getting home was because my mom had mentioned needing another bookshelf, and I just had a feeling that if I went to the thrift store that's across the parking lot from the Book Cellar on this day, that I would find one. And you know something, I was right, because I did, and it was a good one too! I also managed to find another little something for myself...


There aren't too many Humphrey Bogart films that I don't own, but this was one of them. Awesome movie for those of you who dig the older stuff, it had been a while since I last saw it, but it still holds up really well, or course most of his stuff does, so it's not like I'm breaking new ground by saying that this one does too.

Much like last time, this turned out to be basically a perfect day for me. Nothing went wrong, and I was able to bring home plenty of cheap entertainment. It's probably a good thing I don't live too close to Knoxville, otherwise I'd be at McKay's multiple times a week, and all you'd see around here is recaps... so I guess it's good thing for you too that I don't live any closer to Knoxville!

26 comments:

  1. I was of "clubbing age" in the 90's. Guess I didn't do so much of that, because I don't know any of those songs. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you were just hanging out at different establishments.

      Delete
  2. Army of Darkness is one of my all time favs, and that MTV Buzz Bin collection would have found heavy play in my CD player back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AOD still holds up really well, which is probably why it's still fairly popular.

      Delete
  3. I have that same version of the Living in Oblivion CD, purchased way before CDs were a $1. I don't remember what I paid. ... Late '90s alternative music makes me a little sad, but at least it's better than what's currently playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got most of the series now, although they've all been gotten in recent years. I would've loved to have had them back when they came out, but couldn't afford to pay that much for CD's at the time. As far as current music goes, there is some good stuff still out there, you just have to look a lot harder to find it, certainly harder than one used to have to.

      Delete
  4. Whoa. Lots of goodies. Cool slammer. The Salt book sounds interesting. Totally remember the Living in Oblivion compilation CD's. I enjoyed Hannibal. And I loved Elementary (the show). Never read the book(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect, I should've probably taken a picture of the slammer outside it's package. Elementary was the last new show that I liked, and at this point, might end up being the last new show that I ever end up liking.

      Delete
  5. Love those CDs. And that book about sodium chloride looks intriguing too (subtle chemistry lesson there for you, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, I'm really surprised that I enjoyed the reread as much as I did.

      Delete
  6. These are always fun posts. Looks like that Brooklyn Bridge book was the 2nd in what became a very long, prestigious career for David McCullough. Two-time Pulitzer winner etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with his name, but have never read any of his books before.

      Delete
  7. Slammers? I'll have to research this.

    The Bogey movie's interesting.

    Gay Talese wrote a book on the building of the Verrazano - Narrows Bridge. It's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a former Pog player, I take it?

      If you haven't already done so, you should seek it out.

      Thanks for the recommendation, I've written it down and will look for it later.

      Delete
  8. I like a lot of those songs in those compilations although being a musician, I spent my weekends playing in the finest biker bars in the Northeast. Needless to say those songs were not part of the club's playlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that there was a lot of Thorogood-esque music being played at those bars.

      Delete
  9. I either have the same ship book in a different printing or one very similar, that I purchased at a local library book sale. It was in fact the first book I read that I purchased at the book sale. That was probably 2011 or so so I don't remember much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a similarly titled book as well, so you could easily have one yourself. I would imagine that there are a lot of maritime books with similar titles out there.

      Delete
  10. Oooh I like that Buzz Bin CD! Lots of great tracks on that one. The Dance Mix even has a couple I've heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good. I looked up Vol. 1 to see what was on it too, and can honestly say I don't ever need to get that one.

      Delete
  11. Cool story about finding that book on salt! My favorite of this batch has to be the French and Russian cassettes though, if for no other reason because they're cassettes. I wonder if I still have any sort of device that would play them. There's probably a "personal stereo" in the attic at my mom's place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I have like a dozen different things that play cassettes, two of which are within arm's reach as I type this.

      Delete
  12. Late to read this, but glad I did. I had the Buzz Bin CD a few years after it came out and just now realized I don't anymore. It was pretty good, but I am jealous of the Club CD. I was never in the club scene, but for a buck I would have bought a CD just for Darude. Even more so some of the other hits on there were bangers too (bangers is my way of trying to stay hip). Overall you got some nice stuff. Next time you are out it might be worth hitting a Dollar Tree or two, I've seen some people find the Ninja Turtles blu ray and Ip Man there. Next time I go I'm really hoping to score a 3 pack of Death Wish (2-4) on blu ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Club Hits is really good, and is probably my favorite CD purchase in the last year or so. It's an awesome car album. I saw that there a couple more volumes, and I will now be on the lookout for those as well. None of the Dollar Tree's around me have DVD's, and I've yet to try any in Knoxville, maybe one of these days I will. That Death Wish set would be an awesome get for $1, I'd definitely grab one if I ever came across it.

      Delete
  13. Always fun to see your McKay haul! Border's was my fave back in the 90s. I could spend the day and a couple hundred dollars every visit.

    ReplyDelete