Thursday, September 16, 2021

Vaccine troubles, McKay's, and Harry Hulk Woman!

I've been meaning to get the rona vaccine for months now, but for one reason or another, just kept forgetting to do so.

Some may wonder how that was possible, and to that I'd say it was easy. A). I've been busy all summer, B). Goldfish brain, C). I rarely pay any attention to the "news", D). I kind of live in a bubble out here in the sticks, and E). I haven't been overly fearful of catching the rona.

Despite all that, I really did think that I should get it, not necessarily for my well being mind you, but I figure that in the long-run, it would be beneficial to society as a whole for me to get it (and I don't even care about the general public all that much!).

The original plan was to get the J&J jab, but apparently I waited too long, because when I finally went to get it back in August, I was told that that particular option was no longer available around here. I could get the Moderna locally, or drive to somewhere like Knoxville or Nashville for the J&J. I'm not a big fan of needles, so only having the two-shot option at my disposal was a tad disappointing, but I also didn't feel like driving for a couple of hours just to get stabbed by a faceless whitecoat. Despite my dislike of needles, I swallowed my disappointment and went with the local Moderna.

The first shot was fine, just a sore arm for a couple of days, and I was back to my usual plucky self. Having not read about any of the other potential side effects, I assumed that I was basically in for the same thing when I got my second shot last Thursday... and I couldn't have been more wrong!

The shot itself was okay, and I felt fine right afterwards. I had the day off, and thinking that only a sore arm was coming, I spent most of the day outside hauling wood. I felt fine after that too, not even a sore arm. It was almost exactly 8pm that night when things started to go to shit.

The first side effect to come on was the chills. I went from just a little shaky, to teeth chattering in less than an hour. I could tell I was gonna be in for a long night. Despite it being over 70° in the house, I turned off my ceiling fan for the first time this summer, and went to bed wearing sweats, socks, and a t-shirt. I was wearing all that and still needed multiple blankets to fall asleep (I usually just have a sheet on my bed during the summer). I fell asleep quicker than I thought I would, but woke up two hours later amid a nuclear meltdown. I was sweating profusely, and had acquired an incredible headache. I never did go back to sleep. When I finally got up in the morning, I did so despite the headache's increase. And let me tell you, even for someone who grew up with migraines, and still gets frequent headaches of varying degrees, this was a headache for the ages!

Friday was fucking miserable. I couldn't get the headache to go away, and spent the whole day either feverishly sweating, or trying to shake out of my skin from the chills. I tried to play through it and do some stuff around the house, but I couldn't stand confidently for any length of time, so very little ended up actually getting done. I ate as little for dinner as I can remember in recent memory, and then my whole upper arm started turning red. Apparently that's not uncommon, but was still a little off-putting. Being dead-ass tired, I went to bed at the unheard of hour or 8pm Friday night, fell asleep immediately again, and slept for eight straight hours, which is also unheard of for me. Saturday was considerably better, only a minor headache, and only one bout of sweating. At least I was able to finally to some stuff again. I really hate not being able to do things!

I was mostly back to normal on Sunday, but I'll come back to Sunday in a moment. First, I wanted to point out that I never planned on telling anyone publicly that I got vaccinated, that's not my kind of flex. I only decided to do so after I had so much difficulty with it. I think it's good for those that still haven't gotten vaccinated to know that this kind of reaction is possible, but you know what, as sucky as my experience was, I'm still alive, and if you by chance have as much difficulty with it as I did, it'll be sucky, but you'll live too! Normally I'm not one to tell people what they should and shouldn't do, but this is one instance where I think it's necessary: If you haven't been vaccinated yet, and are able to be vaccinated, STOP BEING A SELFISH PRICK... and go get that prick!

PSA over, now let's get to some fun stuff.

/////////////////////////////////////////////

As mentioned, I was mostly back to normal Sunday morning, which was good, because I had a thing I had to do in Knoxville on Sunday. It might've been able to be pushed back, but I didn't want to do that. So, since I knew I'd be able to drive, I went and did my thing. Knowing that I'd be in Knoxville, I knew I'd have to make time for a stop at McKay's (a Disneyland for lovers of physical media) while I was there too, and I did.

It's been a few months since I was last there, and I've never gone on the weekend before, so in terms of people, and potential finds, I didn't really know what to expect. My other thing didn't take too long, so I had almost three hours of time blocked off for searching.

Normally I like to save the best for last, but if your a sports card fan, and you read all of that opening jibber-jabber, I think you deserve to see what I'm pretty sure was the deal of the day first...

I'm not much of a Twitterer, and I rarely tweet about anything before it shows up on the blog, but I thought a few people might get a kick out of this, so I went ahead and mentioned on there Sunday night. Turns out, more than a few people got a kick out of it, as I think it might've been my most liked tweet ever, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, I had never even heard of this book until everyone's favorite Owl blogged about a couple of weeks ago (sorry, I wasn't able to find the post to link up here?), but from the post itself, and all of the ensuing comments, I was able to gather that this book was kind of a big deal for a lot of people. Oh, and that it wasn't cheap on the secondary market either. It seemed somewhat interesting to me, but not enough for me to ever be shelling out big bucks for, so I basically just forgot about it -- that is until I was looking through the hobbies and collectibles section on Sunday, and noticed a massive book on one of the bottom shelves that said "Topps Baseball Cards" on the spine. I thought it might be the same book when I reached down to see the price, which by the way, going from Night Owl's post I thought would at least be $20. Turned out to be $2 (left the sticker so you could see it)! The dust jacket's seen better days, and a couple of the pages were dog-earred, but still, two bucks seemed like a pretty good deal (and the folks on Twitter agreed).

The one thing that I don't recall seeing mentioned in NO's post, was just how massive this book is, it's gotta weigh at least 10 pounds, and could easily be a murder weapon in Clue. I certainly got a workout lugging this thing around the store in one of those hand baskets for almost two hours.

I took a couple of pictures of the inside for someone on Twitter, and figured that I might as well show them here too, just in case I'm not the only one who hadn't been familiar with the book.

Anyway, I hadn't been seeking the book out, but it is kind of neat to have found a cheap copy. I have no doubt that it'll come in handy from time to time.

Everything else gotten was to appease my inner youth, and probably won't be of much interest to sports-only fans. Feel free to skip this next part.

I'm always on the lookout for cheap older film rags, and was fortunate enough to find a few this time.


This last issue here was the real prize, as I may be one of the bigger Captain Power fans you'll ever come across in the blogging world (I've got the entire toy line, all of the videos, and some other assorted paraphernalia). This issue had apparently been flying under my radar. And as a bonus, they're talking my episode of Star Trek as well.


The old 90's Marvel novels aren't cheap anywhere, and McKay's is no exception. The average price is in the $4-5 range, and as such, I rarely ever get any. I still look just in case though. Had some luck this time with one off condition book for $1.50, and...

... one nicer copy for $2.50. I'm very much looking forward to these!



It wouldn't be a trip to McKay's without bringing home at least one Christopher Pike. I've had the second book in this trilogy for a while now, but have been waiting to get the first before reading it. I started reading this last night, and am a tad surprised to find that it's kind of like I Know What you did Last Summer, ten years before that was a thing. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't think it would be along those lines.


It wouldn't be a trip to McKay's without getting at least one Bobby Stine as well.


At $3.50, this was my most expensive purchase. It's okay to splurge every now and then though, especially when paying with trade credit.

Overall, it was a good trip. The next one is gonna have some lofty standards to live up to!

//////////////////////////////////////////////

I received a fun PWE from, Greg, of Nine Pockets fame, earlier this week. I'm sure that most have already heard about it by now, but Greg has started a new business venture, and was doing a giveaway to celebrate (it may still be going on, I don't know, you'll have to check). Everyone got their choice of three of his recently printed customs, and for me it was an easy choice.

I'm a big fan of the Dirty Harry series (they're more relevant now than when they were originally released), so this was a no brainer. I never thought I'd see Harry Callahan on a baseball card, but here we are!

My scanner didn't do Greg's cards any favors, so if you haven't seen one in person yet, just take my word that they look way better than they do here. 

I grew up watching both of these series', in syndication of course. 

I only chose two cards, but Greg threw in a third...

CHiPs is one of a very select few shows from the "classic television" era that I've never seen a single episode of. I have seen Erik Estrada on quite a few other shows though, and do have his Adventure Time autograph, so now my Double E collection is two cards strong.

I really dig the '74 All-Star combos that Greg put together, and if he ever revisits the theme, I'm hoping for a Steve Austin/Jamie Summers pairing. I think that would be really neat.

Many thanks for the giveaway, Greg! Hopefully your new cards will sell like hotcakes, they're certainly gonna get enough publicity in the coming weeks to do so :)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

In other news, the COMC shipment that I requested back in April arrived last Friday. It actually wasn't that far off the original estimate. I thought it was gonna be considerably later though, given that the last time I looked at the counter, it said that there were something like 140,000 items still ahead of mine -- then I got an email two days later saying that my stuff had shipped. I've got 189 cards in here, and no idea when, or how, I might start showing any of them. 

/////////////////////////////////////////////

And one other thing of small note, I can never remember exactly when it is, and I don't feel like looking it up, but I do know that this blogs anniversary falls somewhere between September 15-19. I don't plan on posting anything else in the next couple of days, so I'm just gonna go ahead and congratulate myself now on being able to stick around for 6 years. I'm haven't been posting nearly as much as I used to do, but I'm still around, and I've outlasted a number of far superior blogs, so that's something, I guess?

If I come into any sort of windfall in the next couple of months, I might try to do a belated contest of some sort, but in the meantime, this'll have to do for now. 

I think I've gone on long enough for one post, and I've got about a weeks worth of blog reading to catch up on, so until next time...

36 comments:

  1. Wow. Sorry about the side effects of the shot. My long Vax story very short is I got the Phizer and fortunately didn't have any side-effects other than a sore arm the next day.

    RE: Topps Book - Very cool. I have the Football card Version I got some years back. I forget how much or from where exactly. It is very similar except its the Football version and the dust jacket's background color is a light blue instead of the dark blue. Same weight deal pretty heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wonder if I would've had any better luck with that one, or if this was just meant to be no matter which one I got.

      Ooh, I didn't know there was a football version! Taking a quick look at the online prices, I'm gonna have to luck into a cheap copy of that one too if I ever want to own it.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't seen any Dirty Harry movies. I've seen plenty of other Clint movies though.

    Sucks that you had to go through all that.

    You're way more patient than I am. I'm ticked at the Canadians for taking two months to get me my cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You're doing yourself a great disservice, Brendon!

      Yeah it did.

      Patience is key with COMC these days, and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your vax reaction. Early on those were very very common. With all the fam in the HC biz (inc. myself but on the financial side), I knew to wait at least 5 weeks between shots. I had no problems with PZR. My oldest kid did the moderna with 4 weeks between and she went through what you did.
    Great BB card book.
    Congrats! on the anniversary.
    My ComC order is due in 3 weeks, we'll see.
    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I don't know if waiting another week would've helped me or not, but I certainly would've been willing to give it a try had I had any inkling of what was coming.

      Delete
  4. My wife got the Moderna vaccine and a similar reaction as well. I got the Pfizer and didn't have anything beyond arm soreness. I don't know if that how each one goes, but from what others have told me it seems like the Moderna has more of a chance for stronger side effects. It's all behind you know anyway, so congrats! Congrats also on your blog's 6th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On one hand, it's nice to know that I wasn't alone. But on the other, I hate to think of anyone else having to go through that. But like you said, it's over, and hopefully I'll be covered if I do ever catch the rona.

      Delete
  5. I shall congratulate you! Congrats!

    $2 for the Topps book is something I have never heard of before. Sure, I didn't pay anything for it, but the gift-giver sure paid more than 2 bucks!

    I will be posting my customs from Gregory tonight. ... I went the Moderna route. My 2nd shot wasn't that bad. Sore arm. Felt rundown about 14 hours later. Not much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      After reading your post, and it's comments, I was pretty sure that it was one of the better deals that I've come across in a while.

      Lucky!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on 6 years! My COMC order got bumped into the "Checking & Packing" stage last week, so I'm hoping that means it gets here in the somewhat near future. Think I placed the order back in April.

    I got the J&J vaccine the day before it got pulled off the market in my area. Had a sore arm for a couple days, but thankfully no other side effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you did yours in April too, I would have to think that it's only a matter of time before it gets shipped.

      If I hadn't kept forgetting, I would've went with that one too. Of course, if I had known how the Moderna was gonna hit me, I think I would've made the hour-plus drive to Knoxville in order to get the J&J.

      Delete
  7. That blows man 👎 Glad you made out ok. How else would I have been able to see that kick-ass Captain Power ad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It blew big time! That article is really good, it actually contained a couple of tidbits that I didn't know (which will be shared on the blog at some point).

      Delete
  8. Damn. That's by far the worst side effects story I've heard so far. Sorry you had to go through that. I just had the sore arm thing.

    Sweet find on that $2 Topps book! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and I forgot to mention the dehydration too. I seemingly could not drink enough Gatorade or water for those first two days to help ease it. As much as it sucked, I am glad to hear that so many of you got off with just the sore arm. I'd hate to think we all had my experience.

      Thanks, it might be a while before I top[ps] that one :)

      Delete
  9. I did the investigative work and can tell you your 1st post was on September 19. If I don't catch you again before Sunday, Happy Anniversary!

    Gotta admit I don't think I've ever heard of Captain Power. If you're looking for a post idea.. I'd love to check out your collection and find out all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very nice of you to do that, Gavin. Thank you! Remembering the last day of September teens doesn't seem like it would be too hard -- maybe I'll be able to do so next year?

      I fully plan on doing a Captain Power post on my 3rd blog whenever I get it up and running (hopefully within the next month).

      Delete
  10. I'm happy you got vaccinated but wish your side effects weren't so severe. I was lucky and got vaxed with J & J back in April and only had a sore arm for a couple days. Love that Topps book. Now I'll have to keep on the lookout to get a copy. Congratulations on your blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too! Hopefully you'll be able to find a cheap copy as well, as I've shown, they are out there.

      Delete
  11. Happy Anniversary! I got my vaccine as soon as I was able like a good citizen, constantly refreshing the CVS website hoping for an opening. Next pandemic I'll wait until they start giving Yankee tickets out to the stragglers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if I had a wife to remind me of such things, I would've gotten mine much sooner too. As such, I'm at the mercy of my mush brain. Oh, and from what I've read in recent months, that next pandemic might be coming around much sooner than you think.

      Delete
  12. So much to take in lol. I was wondering where you have been.

    First, congrats on the blogversary.

    Second, thank you for getting your vaccine!!! I would shake your hand right now. There are way too many selfish people out there, some in my family from TN, that refuse to believe in the vaccine or the pandemic. I think it has to do with the fact they are scared more than the fact they think it's a government conspiracy. I got Pfizer and had no effects other than a sore arm. But, my wife felt like you for four days when she got the Pfizer. Another key for me as I was told by someone at the pharmacy, drink a ton before you get it done. I finished 8 gatorades and 4 vitamin waters before each shot.

    Third, always like a Stine pickup. That book I actually read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying not to die :)

      Thank you!

      It took a while, but it is nice to have finally gotten done. Like I said in the post, I just kept forgetting to get it. I went to the store one day back in July and planned on getting it that day, got myself all psyched up on the way there, and then completely forgot about it the second I walked in the door. That may seem hard to believe, but such things happen often to me. As far as your family goes, conspiracy theories are often easier to believe than the truth, especially these days with the internet, and all of the kooky shows on television. I don't blame those people for believing what they believe, I just wish there was a way to be able to get them to at least consider another viewpoint, as they're often quite stubborn... as I'm sure you already know!

      It's not one that I had when I was younger, so it'll be fun to see how it goes over with me.

      Delete
  13. Second shot was more difficult here as well but nothing along the lines of what you went through. Tough. Love the All-Star cards. Big fan of CHiPs. That Topps book sounds massive but fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear. It is a neat book, and seems to be one that most collectors should own. I just wish everybody that wanted one could find one for the same price that I did.

      Delete
  14. Glad the custom cards arrived, Jon! Thanks very much for the publicity. Glad you're doing alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll get better publicity from a few others on these, but I'm glad I was able to help spread the word some. Thanks again for the cards!

      Delete
  15. $2 for the Topps book is a great deal- and yes it is huge. I once took it on a car trip-not something I'm doing again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the anniversary.

    Team Moderna over here. If you want to go beat up some of the Pfizers, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I think we'll be outnumbered, but I'll definitely keep you in mind... just in case :)

      Delete
  17. My wife got the Moderna vaccine and had a really hard time for a few days. That Topps book is awesome! I used to have a copy at one point and lost it during one of my many moves two decades ago. I need to go find another copy of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an expensive book to lose! Also, quite a big one to lose!

      Delete
  18. Jon!!! I had the Pfizer shots. With the 2nd dose in May, I knew it might be tough and was. Basically the same as your story. I missed a day of work but it was only a 24 hour fight. You had me chuckling at "weapon in Clue!" Gotta agree - an Austin/Summers card is a necessity! I was happy to find your blog still active. A couple other shut down while I was away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie!!!! (I saw your three exclamation points, and raised you one) The blog is technically still active, but just barely!

      Delete