Saturday, February 18, 2023

Better late than never

Is there a record, amongst bloggers who actively exchange cards with other bloggers, of who's gone the longest before trading with the Night Owl? If there is, I think I now own it.

I started this blog almost 7 1/2 years ago, and have been fortunate enough to receive, and send out cards to quite a few different bloggers, and blog readers, during that time. However, it wasn't until just this past December that I partook in my first bit of extra-curricular activity with the ever popular winged wordsmith behind Night Owl Cards (and now 1993 UPPER DECK as well).

Some of you might be wondering what took so long, and honestly, I don't really know. I don't think that there's any reason why, it just, for whatever reason, took us a while to swap some cards. For blog purposes, it would've probably been more exciting if their was some great backstory involving murder and betrayal, but there isn't, sorry. 
 
I think I could count on half a hand that number of times that 1987 Topps has appeared on this blog. At this point in time, most collectors seem to either really love the set, or really hate it. Haven't you heard, it's 2023, the internet demands that you pick a side! Me though, well, I guess you could say that I'm indifferent to it. Thanks to my brain slowly turning to mush, I can't say for certain anymore, but it's possible that the very first pack of cards I ever got were 1987 Topps, and if it wasn't the first, it was certainly one of the earlier sets that I collected. With that in mind, there should be at least some nostalgia attached to the set for me, but it's hard to be nostalgic for something that's never gone away -- and from what I've been able to gather, is never gonna go away. I may be neutral on the set, but after all of the blog posts that I've seen in recent years, I'm very glad that I'm not collecting anything current, because I'd probably have a very different take on it, what with it's design constantly being rehashed and all.

These two cards stem back to last year when, much to Mr. Owl's chagrin, he was "gifted" a vending box of 1987 Topps from somebody at work. The resulting blog post was equal parts "Look what someone had the gall to give me!" and "Please take these off of my hands!!!". I knew that I couldn't help him move very many, but I did rattle off a couple of names of guys that I seem to be in need of, and Jamie and Joe were the two that he was able to take care of (please don't ask who the other names were, because I cannot remember anymore). I have a blank backed copy of Jamie's rookie, but somehow did not already have a regular one. And Joe is one of a handful guys that I'm trying not to collect, but still am sort of anyway.

As nice as it was to get them, I'm not sure that these two would've been enough to justify the cost of a stamp. However, they had company...

I suspect that this, and the next card, are copies that have both been upgraded, thus rendering their slightly off-condition counterparts expendable. I too will undoubtedly upgrade this one at some point, but for now, it's just fine for my set. And given current prices, it'll probably continue to be fine for at least the next couple of years.

If the Post was unexpected, which it was, I don't know how to describe this one. I mean, it's not everyday that someone sends me a playing days Erskine. Sure, there's a vertical crease going down the middle, but it doesn't detract from the overall image very much. I've come to realize that if I want to pursue this set in any sort of serious fashion, I will have to be more tolerant towards acquiring cards that are in a similar state. If not, I'll have to be content to sit on the sidelines until the moneyed crowd moves on to something else.

Many thanks to our resident avian author for the envelope, hopefully it won't be another 7+ years before we can do this again.


On an unrelated note, I noticed yet another new blog on the block, and as usual, thought it was worth mentioning. So, if you have a few spare minutes, and are inclined to want to do something nice for someone else, go show Dillard's Dugout some love. One of the best ways to prevent a new blogger from getting discouraged is to let them know that they aren't typing into a void.

14 comments:

  1. I know there's at least one card blogger who I haven't traded with who has been around longer. That's bound to happen with me as I'm not one to reach out and start a deal that often (I see the same happening on TCDB). ... The Sherrys I had are of equal condition so I just picked whatever was closest. ... The person who gifted me the '87 Topps was my BOSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to reach out to fellow bloggers (that I didn't know yet) quite frequently, but for whatever reason, I don't do so very much anymore.

      Delete
  2. Some beautiful old cards there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done some exchanges with NO a few times, but I'm sure there are a few bloggers I've never exchanged with that might surpass the 7.5 years mark.

    P.S. Thanks for sharing another new card blog. Just added it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that there's a few other "old-timers" that I haven't exchanged anything with, but those folks don't actively trade.

      Delete
  4. I'm also indifferent to 87 Topps.

    Checking out the Dillard blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why Night Owl is the GOAT - ask for two run-of-the-mill '87 Topps singles and receive two surprise vintage issues, including a '55 Dodger! I'm not shocked that bloggers like you have gone a long time without trading w/him. It's basically impossible for me to find anything he needs unless it's a set filler - and even then, one of his hundred other followers probably beat me to it.

    1987 Topps was the first set I tried to complete so there's some nostalgia there. But Topps is doing everything in their power to make us all sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that that is the problem. Even if I do have something for him, by the time I get around to thinking that I should send it, four other people will have already done so before then.

      Nostalgia is something that I understand quite well, so even though the set may not mean much to me, I can certainly understand why it would to others; and I would never try to shit on their feels (as the kids would say).

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. He is a popular fellow, there's no denying that!

      Delete