Friday, June 16, 2023

A post inspired by a post about blog inspired purchases

Say that five times fast!

A semi-recent post from Jim about purchases inspired by things seen on blogs reminded me that I too had a couple of older blog inspired purchases still sitting in a scan folder.

I couldn't tell you when it was, but at some point in the not too distant past, Nick, of n j w v fame, did a post in which this card of Rita Cansino (better known as Rita Hayworth) appeared. I already had a few cards from the 1936 Moderne Schönheitsgalerie set, so I was somewhat familiar with it, but apparently not enough to know that a young Rita Hayworth (she was either 17 or 18 here) had been amongst the subjects.

After seeing Nick's post, I set off to find a copy of my own, which, not surprisingly, didn't work out very well, as there were none available for sale anywhere at the time. Since there was nothing else to do, I put it in my eBay saved searches and commenced to wait until an affordable copy popped up. I want to say that it was around this past Christmas that my saved search yielded a result, well, make that two results. The seller had two copies, one with the normal Kurmark back, and one with a Sultan back. As cheap as they were (I don't remember the prices, sorry), I knew that they wouldn't be up for very long, but for the life of me, I could not decide which back I wanted, so, I just went scorched earth and bought both...

Technically, these ado come from two different sets, but in my mind, since the fronts are identical, they might as well be from the same set (and both companies would've been under the same umbrella). Either way though, neither back is overly exciting, so let's get back to the front(s)...

In retrospect, I probably didn't need both, but... Du lebst nur einmal, habe ich recht?

For the sake of this post, I was trying to think of the first movie that I ever saw her in, and I guess it would've been Charlie Chan in Egypt. I saw most of Warner Oland's Charlie Chan pictures while still fairly young, and have seen "in Egypt" multiple times over the years. Like a number of other old franchises (Universal Monsters, Sherlock Holmes, Godzilla, etc.), the Charlie Chan films are my version of comfort food.

Without looking at a list I'm probably forgetting a few, but a couple of the pictures that I really liked her in were: The Shadow, Homicide Bureau, The Lady from Shanghai, and Human Cargo. [Yeah, I'm definitely forgetting a few]. 

Anyway, they're really nifty cards, and I'm grateful to Nick for posting about his, otherwise I might still have been in the dark on this one.

I can't remember if the shipping was free, or if there was no charge for additional cards, but I did get more cheap cards from the same seller.

I had been needing a Gail Patrick card for my Perry Mason collection (she was one of the shows producers and also appeared in the very last episode), and this 1934 Garbaty seemed like a really good choice. The border is a little chippy, but I sure like the design on this one, the blue really pops in person.

This card is kind of interesting because by the time it was released in 1936, Clara Bow's career had already been over for close to two years. She did appear in one of those Screen Snapshots shorts in the 40's, but those weren't really pictures per se. 

I have a bit of a Clara Bow collection, though I couldn't tell you why. I mean I've seen a bunch of her films, and am endlessly fascinated by early Hollywood, and even more so by the some of the early mega stars, but I don't think that's the reason why I'm attracted to her cards. Even though they weren't comparable in stature, or talent, I have a similar unexplainable draw to, and collection for, Marion Davies. It's one of those things that I really don't even think about the why, and if I do ever try to come with a reason, I just chalk it up to something from my childhood that I've since forgotten. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but it's as good of an answer as any.

24 comments:

  1. OK, cards of Rita Hayworth before she even was Rita Hayworth are pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Being bad influences on each other is what card blogs are all about (I actually have a post scheduled in which I credit you for inspiring a purchase).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how infrequently I've been posting on this blog, I can't imagine what I could've possibly influenced. I guess I'll find out at some point though...

      Delete
    2. Was in a comment on my blog. Post is going up tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I'll be the first to admit I didn't know Rita Hayworth went by any other name! Cool cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that it's a thing that many people talk about these days, so I'd have to imagine that a lot of folks don't know that she changed her name.

      Delete
  4. Because I've neverrrrrrrrrrr bought something because of a blog inspiration... Nice cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. i enjoy reading about these inspirations! sadly, the only movie i think i've seen with rita hayworth is shawshank redemption and that doesn't really count

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you what's funny, I'm probably one of the few people who still hasn't seen that movie.

      Delete
  6. Jim beat me to the Shawshank Redemption thing. I'm pretty sure that's where I learned her name. However this post opened my eyes to her beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clara Bow was such a big star for a while that I guess they thought it was worth including her even if she was not as active as the others.

    You are probably aware of this already, but in addition to baseball, football and hockey players, Diamond Match put out sets of Hollywood stars in the 1930s. I have John Howard, Larry Crabbe and Myrna Loy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that or the Germans didn't realize just how permanent her excommunication from Hollywood was, or would be.

      Oh yeah, I'm familiar with them. I've tried to bid on a few over the years, and have yet to have any success with that.

      Delete
  8. I am going to bust out some karaoke this next weekend....

    Rita Cansino gave good face
    Lauren, Katherine, Lana too
    Bette Davis, we love you
    Ladies with an attitude
    Fellas that were in the mood
    Don't just stand there, let's get to it
    Strike a pose, there's nothing to it
    Vogue (insert funky hand motions)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the reference (and slight change of lyrics), but geez 'o pete's do I dislike that song. I do like funky hand motions though :)

      Delete
    2. Apologies but I've kinda sort been doing this. https://njwv.wordpress.com/collecting/strike-a-pose/

      Delete
    3. Oh, wow! What a wonderful collection! I don't know if they'd be what you're looking for, but very affordable cards of both James Dean and Grace Kelly can be found in the various Dutch Gum series'.

      Delete
    4. I've figured that's where I'll have to go eventually. Just haven't really researched those yet.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, those cards are really fantastic. I can empathize with your dilemna of not knowing which to buy, so just taking both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real first-world problem, isn't it.

      Delete