Monday, May 2, 2016

To peel or not to peel...

As part of my usual array of inserts from the 10 cent boxes at last weekend's show, I got two 1995-96 Topps Finest Mystery Finest inserts with the black peel still intact:


I bet you can't remember the last time you saw a more interesting scan of two cards to open up a blog post, can you?

Before I go any further, I should probably show you the backs so you know who were dealing with here:


I never bought any packs of Finest way back when, as I was more of the quantity over quality sort, so I would have much rather gotten two or three packs of the regular Topps set over one pack of Finest. And because of that, I never got to experience the anticipation as to which version would be revealed by removing the peel.

For those that don't know, these came in three different versions. There is the common bordered version, the uncommon borderless silver version, and the rare borderless gold refractor version.

I have many copies of the common bordered cards for both of these guys, but none of the other two examples for either of them. So that certainly makes the idea of unmasking them more apeeling (clever!) . But there is also another part of me that likes the idea of keeping them on, thus preserving the mystery.

Any thoughts on my dilemma would be most appreciated.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments: