Saturday, March 17, 2018

No name, no problem

Over the last couple of years I have filled up almost four 3200 ct boxes with "someday" cards, as in, someday I might work on these sets. While looking through one of those boxes recently, I realized that a) I'm never going to be able to work on all of those sets, and b) some of those sets aren't nearly as appealing as they once were.

So with that in mind, I have started going through all of these "someday" boxes, and trying to pare them down a bit. Everything is basically being divided into three different categories: stuff to keep, stuff for other bloggers, and stuff for the thrift store.

I haven't gotten too far along yet, but I've already found a couple of interesting things... things that shouldn't have ever made their way into those boxes in the first place! Today's card just happens to be a perfect example of that:

I had forgotten all about this 2013 Topps Target Red Mark Trumbo no name error. After looking around online, it appears that these no names errors aren't particularly rare -- although they aren't exactly common either -- at least as far as base cards go, I think the scarcity factor goes up little more when it comes to parallels.

If I read correctly, the problem (if you consider it so) occurs when sheets of cards get stuck together during the printing process, which is why they tend to come in bunches, like the folks have reported opening an entire pack of either no names or no foil applied.

As you can see, the backs remain unfazed by the printing error. I bought this card just about three years ago now, at the first Nashville card show that I attended after moving here. I may have forgotten that I had it, but I do remember being quite enamored by it at the time, and I had meant to try and find more... but obviously I never got around to it. In retrospect, I'm pretty happy about being able to have gotten it for fifty cents, especially reading that some people actually sent there no names back to Topps for a correct version, thus reducing the available supply for those of us who enjoy cards like this.

I have a space in the back of my blank backs binder for other errors, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how this card ended up being tucked away inside a box. I guess it doesn't really matter how it ended getting hidden away, as I'm just glad to have re-found it. And of course, it's very satisfying to be able to add it to the appropriate binder after all this time, now if I could just find a few more...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

8 comments:

  1. Is it bad I'm trying to figure out the team the Angels are playing against??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! I'm probably wrong, but I just assumed it was the Rangers.

      Delete
  2. It's been nearly 5 years and I just now learned about these no name cards. Very interesting.
    And yes, my guess was the Rangers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now that you do, you're gonna have to try and find a whole mess of no name Cubs, right? :)

      Delete
  3. I love collecting errors and misprints. Back in 2015, I found a bunch of the Topps Archetypes inserts that didn't have any foil on the front. I kept a few for my player PC's, but listed the other 7 on eBay for $100. A guy countered with $75 and I accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sound like it turned out to be quite the prosperous find for you! As far as errors go, I only actively collect blank backs (not the intentional ones), but I certainly won't walk away from cards like this no name either.

      Delete
  4. I've long had a soft spot for errors like this one. I've pulled a couple no-foil misprints in my day, and while I probably should've been unhappy with the quality control, they're actually kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure would like to be able to say that I pulled an error of some sort, it seems like with all the packs/boxes of stuff that I opened in the early 90's, that I should have gotten one at some point, but I never did.

      Delete