Monday, January 21, 2019

Bombed by Billy

Of the many packages that I received from fellow bloggers (and one non-blogging friend) during December, one stood out from the rest, not because it was better -- I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I consider everything that is ever sent to me to be equally great. The thought behind the mailing will always mean so much more to me than it's contents ever could -- no, this package from Billy, the tireless genius behind Cardboard History, stood out merely because it was only the one that I had no idea was coming.

It's not very often that I get a completely unexpected package in the mail, it's also not very often that someone sends me a package with 100+ cards in it!

Being from Billy, you'd expect it to be heavy on the basketball, and it was, but there were also a few non-basketball surprises to be had.

I certainly was surprised to see a large grouping of 1974 Visual Panographics U.S. Presidents right off the bat, talk about unexpected!

I'm going to go ahead and say that I had never seen these before, even though I'm pretty sure that I have, I just can't remember the when and where. I'm just showing 12 here, but Billy sent along 22 of the 37-card set. I can't seem to find out how these were distributed, other than that they came as two-card panels that were perforated in the middle, anybody out there know how these were sold?

I thought I'd go ahead a scan the back of my favorite president, the only problem is... I don't have a favorite president! So, you get Zachary Taylor. For being such little cards, they sure did squeeze in a lot of info, even if some of them contain more lore than fact.

I am not a NASCAR guy, my dad was, but I've just never had interest in it - so if you're wondering why there was NASCAR card (say that five times fast) included, well, I'll let the penny sleeve that it was in, do the talking:
How wonderful is that? I don't know if I agree entirely with that sentiment, but I certainly do appreciate the thought behind it, and because of that I will be hanging on to the card, which of course will be kept inside this penny sleeve.

And we've reached the basketball portion of the package, of which I will just be showing about half, otherwise I'd have to break this into two posts (normally I wouldn't mind, but I have so much stuff to catch up on).

Nice group of '96-97 Fleer Metal here, I don't have too many fond memories of Sheed as a Blazer, but I was a fan of The Wizard (Walt Williams) during his short stint with the team. And I don't know why exactly, I always get a kick out of seeing Dino Radja.

I already had these two Action Packed cards, but I thought I'd show them anyway, if only because the scan makes it look like Larry Legend just went a few rounds with Iron Mike.

I know that Panini has recently started adding sticker inserts to some of their products again, which is a good thing, but they'll never reach the greatness that was the All-Stars stickers from the late 80's Fleer sets.

I seem to be getting an awful lot of Toine cards as of late, which for the record, I am not actively seeking - that being said, I'll pick up cheap inserts of his anytime I come across them, or accept base cards of his when they're being sent by Billy :)

Inserts, inserts, and more inserts! Billy was kind enough to include quite a few of the 90's variety, and of the 30-40 that there were, I think I needed all but one (although getting duplicates of inserts from this era is okay with me). Since their debut, I have never stopped liking the 1993-94 Skybox Showdown Series, the head-to-head stats on the back are still fun to read - now if we could just go back to the days of Olajuwon vs. Mutombo... sigh.

Getting a Larry Johnson that I didn't already have is always a Welcome Addition.

I was trying to keep all of the base and inserts separate for scanning purposes, but as I'm adding these groups to the post, I see that the Damon Holoview Heroes slipped into this group of base unnoticed - I guess that's what happens when you have to stand up to scan, and you've been doing so for over an hour, weariness starts to officially set in. Some really fun base cards here though, and I think that I only had one other Holoview Heroes, so it's inclusion was greatly appreciated.

It wasn't all 90's inserts.

And finally, a nice group of player's from the past on new-ish cards. I know a lot of people grumble over guys like these being included into newer sets, but for me it's getting to the point where I'm only interested in retired players portion of checklists.

Thank you again for the cards, and for all of the thought that went into them, Billy! Everything that I had for you was in the Secret Santa package, but hopefully I can start building back up the reserves and be able to surprise you with a mailing at some point in the not too distant future.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

25 comments:

  1. They made NBA Action Packed??? The things I learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Action Packed was all over the place.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed them Jon! I had been meaning to send you a package of stuff and I finally got my act together in December. Genius? I don't know about that! I literally laughed out loud at the fact that you scanned the penny sleeve. I'm not sure a genius would miss spell NASCAR after reading and writing it a million times over more than 25 years, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked up the definition recently (or ever), but I don't think genius means perfect, if that's the case, then geniuses can make mistakes too - even those of the spelling variety. If it makes you feel any better, I try to misspell my own name on just about every other email I send out, now I ask you, who does that? Thank goodness I always catch it before I hit the send button, but one of these days I won't... and somebody is going to end up getting an email from Jom :)

      Delete
  3. Big Country Reeves Stick'ums for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly, although you're not so bad yourself :)

      Delete
  5. A very generous surprise gift from Billy. The Presidential cards are neat, and I love the Stoudamire Spx. Kinda thought the Donruss Retro insert set would be right up your alley, considering your affinity for Panini Classics and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never even seen the Retro cards before, I guess now that I have, I should probably go see who's on the checklist.

      Delete
  6. I collect presidential and historical cards. I never noticed how much Pres #9 resembled Dracula. Well-rounded package from Billy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about you, makes sense though!

      Delete
  7. Zachary Taylor -- the only president in history who died from eating bad cherries. Quite a legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard that before, thanks for dropping some knowledge... it helped smarten up the post a little bit :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome care package. Those Presidential cards are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to listen to Presidents Of The USA. Sweet mail day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty sweet piece of mail, thankfully I got to it before the passing piranha's did :)

      Delete
    2. The piranhas were confused.

      Delete
  10. I collected those American Presidents card when I was a kid. I seem to recall them coming in packages of Wonder Bread, but I could be confusing that with some of their other non-sport issues. Pretty sure it was some foodstuff, though. Still have a bunch of them, although they're not in great condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Them being a food issue would make sense, now if it could just be narrowed down. As an aside, I haven't seen you around here lately, Brett -- but I always appreciate the insight that you bring to the comments section :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Yeah, Billy really came through with those.

      Delete