Thursday, May 16, 2019

COMC Shuffle #11

Another week, another ten randomly selected items from last year's COMC hoard!

2013 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #AL
My memory isn't always the best, but I remember this card, as it was the first one that I bought (using earned credit) during last year's Black Friday sale. I already had one copy of this card, but it was so darn cheap that I just couldn't pass up getting another one. Most folks probably would've tried to flip it, I ain't most folks though, so I kept it, I mean there's really such a thing as having too many autographs of Mr. Tiger... even if they are duplicates?

1972 Topps #734
A 1972 High number... dun dun duuuuun! Whenever this was gotten, I was undoubtedly still under the impression that I would be working on the set at some point, however I am no longer under any such delusions. All is not lost though, as I will soon be starting something that I've been thinking about, and even talking about publicly, for years now, which is to try and collect all of the former Portland Beavers who appeared on cards through 1973 (I might change that cutoff point to '75). Bob Burda spent all of 1961 in Portland, so he would obviously fit right in to such a collection.

1971 Milk Duds whole box
I already covered my disappointment with the damaged Milk Dud boxes that I received, so I won't rehash it again here today, I'll just that Luis is the only one of the non-damaged boxes that I will be keeping.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Retail Green Prizms #254
The 2013 Prizm set has a few Christmas cards in it, that being a green parallel with a player in red jersey or vice-versa. I'm of the opinion that Hakeem (despite the bad scan) is the best looking of those Xmas cards, so much so in fact, that I ended up getting all of the available copies that the site had to offer. Now if another one ever shows up, the seller will probably price it at something crazy like $20, because COMC logic dictates that if you have the only one on the site, then it must be crazy rare... and worth a small fortune.

1933 Goudey #39
Mark was the last surviving member of the 1927 Murderer's Row, won two titles with the Yankees, but the thing that I find most interesting about him, isn't even baseball related, no, it's that he was born in San Francisco in July of 1904, less than two years before the 1906 earthquake. He touches on this a bit in a really good 1987 Los Angeles Times article -- he also shares plenty of anecdote's from his playing days as well.


2012 Panini Black Friday Progressions - magenta #47
If you had told me three years ago that I would one day own around twenty hockey cards, and that Chris Kreider would be representing almost half of that collection, I would've said "Who are you, and how did you get into my bathroom?".

2014-15 Panini Prizm Red, White, and Blue Pulsar Prizms #1
This kid is pretty good at the basketball.

2014 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #DWL
I know nothing of racing, and I'm not even going to pretend to, old D. Wayne (don't call me Dwayne!) was a card that I needed for my set, so I got him, that's all.

1973 Kellogg's Pro Super Stars #34
Ah, my favorite Kellogg's set! I always wonder how many people cringe every time I say that? But trust me, I'm not saying for the shock value, it truly is my favorite Kellogg's set, I'm not collecting it anymore, but I will still be picking up the bigger names when the price is right.

1999-00 Flair Showcase Elevators #7E
I think that this was only my second card from the set. Love this insert set too, it's like the cracked ice cards before there was such a thing as cracked ice cards. It's always nice to be able to get inserts of Pippen in a Blazers uni as well.

Looks like another week of shuffling is in the books, but I'll be back around the same time next week with another batch of randomly selected cards.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

20 comments:

  1. Love the Kaline but that's some super cool vintage too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised that you of all people would be a fan of the Kaline auto?

      Delete
  2. Dame! And Pippen as a Blazer too. Those were good teams. Nice Koenig card. I like the Olajuwons as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this post's content ended up being 20% Blazers, which certainly could've been worse. Now if they could just win a WCF game!!!!

      Delete
  3. Some cool pick ups. If you have some of those 72 high numbers sitting around you don't want/need - drop me a note. I need to get jump started again on my set build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that I have very many, but I couldn't tell you for sure right now, as my closet is pretty messy, so much so that I can't even get to the box that has my 72's in it. If I do find that I have some unwanted high's, I will be sure to send you an email.

      Delete
  4. I like the look of '73 Kellogg's -- it's just so jarring every time I see one next to its 3-D companions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly different, but I think Kellogg's only doing them for that one year is part of the reason why I like them so much.

      Delete
  5. That's ah one-ah pretty-ah Kaline! Too bad you have dupes. Must be terrible for you, a hardship I've never known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty tough, I just try to take it one day at a time though :)

      Delete
  6. Sweet vintage cards there. I love Prizm too. So much better than any Chrome products Topps puts out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Topps Chrome never really changes, Panini, for good or bad, at least switches up the look of Prizm every year.

      Delete
  7. That Kaline is sweet! I totally understand picking up an extra when the price is right. The 73K set is funny. When I look at the design without focusing on its lenticular brethren... it's a great looking oddball issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that you would, I can't remember the exact price, but it was somewhere around $6-7, and that was just too cheap to leave behind.

      Delete
  8. I love that Milk Duds Box. Sucks the other ones were all damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does suck, it's sucked for the last six months, and will probably continue to do so... I really need to try and get over it!

      Delete
  9. Those 1933 Goudeys never get old to see time and time again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! And hopefully everybody enjoys seeing the one's that I got last year, because it's not looking like I'll be getting too many this year.

      Delete
  10. They call them Milk "Duds" for a reason.


    Okay....... I'll stop hanging out in your bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!

      No, it's cool, mi baño es su baño :)

      Delete