Sunday, May 12, 2019

One Random Pack: 1991-92 Fleer basketball


1991-92 Fleer? Basketball? Sunday? Mother's Day? I know, I know, I'm just asking for disappointment with this one. But that's okay, this is a fun set, so if I'm writing this one for crickets, well then... chirp chirp chirp!

I picked up this mildly mushed pack for a quarter a while back at the "copy/printing/sports cards-on-the-side" shop that's about twenty minutes away from me. I've opened more than a few boxes of this stuff over the years, but I figured .25 cents for a blog post was a pretty good deal, so I went ahead and grabbed a pack.

If you collected cards back in the early 90's, you know what to expect with this one, 14 very blue cards (none of that 4 cards per pack nonsense), with a chance at pulling one of those hot new Pro Visions.

This ended up being a very Blazers-centric pack, not that I'm complaining mind you, I just thought that it was worth noting before we got going. Oh, and apparently my scanner really dislikes these cards, so that's something to be aware of as well.

A year later he was playing in Portland. Also came back for a brief stint in the early 2000's.

A decade later he would be coaching in Portland.

An actual Blazer! There's also ex-Blazer Mychal Thompson to the left of Jerome. JK was my favorite Blazer when I was a kid, and this is one of two cards that I got Jerome to sign in person back in like '92.

As a kid, I always felt like his name could only be said out loud if there were no adults around :)

Blazer killer!

Ripped the heart out of Blazers fans on more than one occasion.

One of the few guys that I don't remember seeing play from this era, my only memories of him come from his cards.

No Blazers connection that I know of, but he did coach the Oregon Duck's woman's team for a few years.

Played on the same high school basketball team as future (at that time) Blazer, Darnell Valentine.

Brother Jim was an absolute stud with the Blazers for almost a decade.

Fleer used to have such great backs.

No direct link to Portland, but he is a guy that I would've liked to have seen in a Blazers uniform (I know, it's a stretch).

Served two stints as a Blazers assistant coach.

I saw Mark play a lot as a kid, and I've just learned that he's third on the all-time list for field goal percentage, only Artis Gilmore and Shaquille O'Neal are ahead of him... not bad company.

Fun fact: Joe Wolf is a distant cousin of Don Coyote :)

See, what did I tell you, at least half the pack had some sort of connection to the Blazers!

I will be keeping Kersey, Stockton, and Strickland. I can't imagine that anybody would want any of the other cards, but if you do, don't be shy about saying so.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

18 comments:

  1. Good pull for sure and fun stroll down memory lane. I used to have that set...maybe I still do? I don't know. I busted a ton of packs back in the day. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people had this set way back when, heck, like you, there's probably a lot of people out there who might have it now... and not even know it :)

      Delete
  2. Man, those are some short shorts! A couple of HOFers, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short shorts were the name of the game back then! And it was fairly solid pack namewise, of course there was a lot more star power back then, so you'd rarely get a dud pack in that respect.

      Delete
  3. one of the strangest card designs of all time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but that's also what made it so great at the time, and is also partly why it still stands out so much even today -- nobody ever did anything like this again.

      Delete
  4. You need to list your dupes for trade on the Database. I traded away most of the cards from this set that I had available.

    I finally completed it in 2017. Nice to have it all done finally. Still chasing the Tony's Pizza promos though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just donated a bunch of these right before Christmas, I mean with a set like this, I'd rather just give them to whoever wants them, listing and trading seems like an awful lot of work right now.

      Delete
  5. HA - I just opened a pack of this set yesterday (post coming in about half an hour)! I kind of want the Magic, I don't think I have it from my first round of collecting this as a kid... I pulled a Malone in my pack if you want a friend for Stockton to pass to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the sets to be featured on the same day... and we choose 1991-92 Fleer!?!? That's so great! I'll have to see about the Malone, but either way, Magic is yours. Looking forward to your post :)

      Delete
  6. I didn't purchase a lot of this product back in the day... mainly because I went all in on the premiere edition of Upper Deck basketball. And if I did buy something other than UD, it was Skybox. I did eventually pick up the Pro-Vision inserts though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like everybody who was interested in basketball at that time went all in on the first Upper Deck set, as you obviously remember, it was a pretty big deal back then -- same with those first two years of Skybox sets.

      Delete
  7. If you lived in Portland then this pack was meant for y................... Oooops. That Earvin card is just Magic. It could be true but, I'm also gullible enough to believe that Joe Wolf, Don Coyote are related. 25 cents well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been feeling pretty homesick again lately, so this pack was kind of nice, but also a little depressing. Earvin... Magic... you!!!! Gullible? Go ahead and look it up, it's completely true, scout's honor :)

      Delete
  8. What is basketball??? Actually, while I didn't watch the game then and still don't now, 90s basketball found it's way into my collection at that time. I was a prospector after all. That's the only reason I recognize a couple of these players. Lynam's tie clashes against the vibrant blue design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a type of ballet! I know that you've mentioned on more than one occasion, but I still can't picture you as a prospector - floppy hat, suspenders, an old stubborn mule - it just doesn't sound like the you that I now know :)

      Delete
  9. One of my favorite basketball designs even though I don’t collect basketball. Sold a lot of those packs back in the day at the card shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like it quite a bit too, of course it helps that it hasn't been used a million times.

      Delete