Wednesday, November 6, 2019

More Roby's from Robby

As someone who had never been a serious player collector before, and who had most certainly never even considered trying to super collect anyone, I've learned a few things rather quickly in the months since deciding to do so -- things that most player/team collectors probably already know, but all of which have been new to me.

a) This is definitely going to be more of a marathon than a sprint! I probably already knew that this would be the case, but it's become much more of a reality as of late. Other than blogging about them, I didn't spend a whole lot of time doing any card stuff this past summer, and October was the busiest month I've had in years, so adding new things to this new(ish) collection has been slow at best so far.

b) Even by little kid standards I was terribly impatient when I was young, nowadays when I look around at our modern have-to-have-it-now world, I often feel like I might be one of the most patient people around. I mention this because I've found that working on this Reggie Roby collection of mine is going to require plenty of patience, especially when it comes to acquiring a few of his more difficult to find cards, and the online sellers that are in possession of them. I feel no pressure to rush things, nor do I have to have everything right now, so I don't mind waiting until prices fall into my range, or just waiting until another lower priced copy of whatever shows up.

c) I'm very glad that I chose to super collect someone who has a finite amount of cards, and who isn't likely to have too many more made of them. Reggie has 143 cards, which is kind of a lot, but is nowhere near the amount of cards that are being produced for most modern players have, or even the more popular retired greats. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to collect a modern player (I'm now convinced more than ever that Brian aka Collecting Cutch might be a bit touched in the head... ha!), but since I don't have much interest in most modern players, this isn't something that I will ever have to concern myself with.

d) People seem to really like helping with player/team collections. Case in point, Robby, he of Detroit Tigers Cards and Stuff (and Twitter), no sooner had I finished posting about the first batch of cards he sent, when another unannounced PWE showed up...

Up until the end of September I had never owned a card from the '86 Topps set before, now I own two! I found a "key rookie" from the set in a dime box (future post) at the super mega card show, which was cool, but not nearly as cool as being gifted the most important (to me) card in the set.

Reggie missed a few games due to injury in '87, which caused him to set career lows in punts and total yards, but on the flipside he also established a career long punt that year as well, 77 yards.

I've talked in the past about Topps' lack of action shots when it came to Reggie's base cards, but unbeknownst to me they did give him at least one "In Action" card fairly early on -- it would only take them five more years to picture him in motion again. BTW, I really dig this card!

1989 saw Reggie being selected to his second of three Pro Bowl's.

It was a bit fortuitous of Robby to send this 1990 Topps (w/ disclaimer) along, as although I already had one, it had minor accident a few weeks before -- to be more specific, it, along with one of his two 1992 Upper Deck cards had a rather unpleasant meeting with a wood floor. I had been carrying my now growing stack of Roby's, along with the binder and a laptop, over to a table where I was going to commence putting said stack of Roby's into said binder, but on the way there my laptop started slipping and when I went stop it from doing so any further... two cards fell onto the floor! Until I moved to my current dwelling, it had been many years since I lived anywhere with wood floors, and if there's one thing that I've learned in the last few years, it's that when cards fall onto wood floors, they always land corner first, and the aftermath is never pretty. On a semi-related note, I do have an unopened box of '90 Topps, which I'm hoping will have the missing disclaimer version in it, but it might be another month or two before I find out (I want to get a bunch of other cards cleaned up before I open any boxes).

Thanks again to Robby for the surprise mailing, I don't get them very often, so when I do it's always a treat. Getting another batch of Roby's also encouraged me to finally make a want list, which has been at the top of the blog for a few weeks now -- although with the Secret Santa now upon us, I would've made a list for that anyway. Speaking of the Secret Santa, if you're interested in participating, and haven't already signed up, you can do so here.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. Jon, email me your address, I found another autographed Roby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thank you! An email will be sent later tonight.

      Delete
  2. Who didn't like Roby and that huge leg kick? Will enjoy watching you pick up more along the way. Fun post and wood floors are the devil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that there's a few people out there who didn't. Hopefully I can start picking up some of my own pretty soon, and stop relying on others to build this collection!

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea for a player PC. I was a bit of a Dolphins fan in those days, and Roby was fun to watch and collect. If I have any Roby cards you need I will let you know.

    It's funny you should mention having two cards from the 1986 Topps set; I'm only missing two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See all the excitement that you've been missing?

      Only two cards left! Seems like you've really made a lot of headway with that set.

      Delete
  4. That 87T action shot card is fantastic. And you don't see that single bar face mask very often. Looks like even he was forced to update it by 1990.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that card, I just can't believe it took me this long to find out about it!

      Delete