Thursday, December 26, 2019

Do you believe in Sandy Claws?

After two years worth of Secret Santa hosting now under my belt, I can tell you that there are exactly three things that I don't like about doing so: a) worrying that something is gonna go catastrophically wrong -- and then being blamed for it, b) trying to find out why someone hasn't gotten there package yet, and c) telling whoever drew my name that they have to buy me something.

That last one is more awkward than anything, but so far both people that I've had to tell this to have taken it in stride, for which I'm eternally grateful, as I don't do awkward well.

This year's uncomfortable email was sent to, Matt, from Diamond Jesters, who is someone that I hadn't had the good fortune to have had any real contact with yet, so as far as what to expect gift wise goes, I was completely clueless (this is one instance when being clueless is actually a good thing).

Christmas cards are always a good thing! Confession, I was in such a rush to send out the package to my giftee, that I forgot to include a Christmas card, sorry Jared :(

 Sandy Claws... AWESOME!

I'm pretty sure that Matt is just a baseball guy, so to get something that wasn't baseball related from him was kind of surprise, but to get something as seemingly hard to find as this 1986 McDonald's Reggie Roby from him was just like... whoa! I haven't looked into the details of this particular promotion yet, but I do know that it was a regional thing. They came in three four different colors (black, blue, gold, and green), which probably meant something, and as you can imagine, there aren't a ton of unscratched cards still around. There doesn't even seem to be a lot of cards without tabs around, so either they didn't make a lot of them (I doubt that), or just not very many people hung on to the cards after they were scratched. Coming in at roughly 3" x 4 3/4", I was a bit surprised at how big the card was, but I guess that's what happens when you've never seen one in person before, and haven't seen any measurements online either.

That card alone would've been enough for me, but there was more...

I can honestly say that unopened packs of anything are about the last thing that I would've expected to see come out of my SS package, but there they were... and they didn't stay unopened very long! Opening up new packs is not something that I get to do very often, so no matter what came out of them, it was gonna be fun either way.

These days collectors seem to be all about the "hits", so I'll start with the "hits". This card was in the pack backwards, so I was pretty sure that that meant something, but after looking at it for minute, I couldn't figure out what? The border was different from the others, and there wasn't any extra shiny bits, so I was left wondering... at least until I took to the webz! I'm sure that everyone who's looking at this can see what's so special about it, but just in case there's another me out there, his bat is a candy cane!!!!!! Apparently I haven't paid enough attention to the blog posts that I've seen with these, because I had no idea that I was suppose to be looking for things like that. I found out that this is an SP variation, and it falls at 1:7 packs.

It's hard to tell from the scan, but this one has the metallic snowflakes, which at 1:2 packs, are the most common of the parallels.

To me they're just "meh", but to a lot of other collectors these days, rookies are where it's at... so here's some rookies!

Got some guys that I'm familiar with...

... and some that I'm not!

Horizontal cards may not always look the best in pages, but they often allow for much better images. The universe must be trying to tell me that I need more Jorge Soler in my life, as I got him in both packs.

I'm seen some folks dismiss the holiday sets for being too "gimmicky", but they don't bother me in the least, as really anything other than a base card could be considered too "gimmicky", and there aren't too many people who only collect base cards anymore, so their complaints tend to sound like someone who's complaining just for complaining sake. I like the holly border on these BTW, I would've preferred it to be a full border, but they still look good as is.

Thanks for the fun Secret Santa package, Matt! I got to add an elusive card to the Reggie Roby collection, and I got the opportunity to open up some Christmas themed packs, seemed like a win-win in my book :)

Oh, and one final thing. Even though is post was about Matt's gift, I just wanted to publicly acknowledge the cards that I've received this month from Billy (Cardboard History), Chris (The Collector), Greg (The Collective Mind), Josh (Royals and Randoms), and Matt (Sport Card Collectors). This month got away from me, but I fully intend to post about each and every one of these packages in January, so until then, thanks again for all of the generous things that were sent my way.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. You definitely need more Jorge Soler in your life. He hit more HR than Trout last season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you already know how I feel about Mike Trout, so...

      Delete
  2. You're right; I have a number of those McDonald's cards, and I've never seen one with a tab, let alone unscratched. That's a really unique addition to a really unique PC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously then the one's without tabs aren't too difficult to come by, meaning that I should've encountered at least one by now.

      Delete
  3. RE: The McDonalds cards. If I recall correctly the colors for the scratch off area was a way for them to tell which week during the promotion the cards were released. I think there might have been something tied into the schedules. I don't recall exact details as far as the contest and freebies. There is also a green so its 4 colors. For the most part these were distributed by areas. For instance here in the DC area we would get exclusively Redskins and the All-Star team. Odd I must not have seen any recently because I was a little surprised by Trevor's comment about never seeing one with a tab unscratched or other. I don't recall what they looked like scratched. Ah here is a link to a nice description of the "contest" https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/cards/mcdonalds-football-cards-bears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of the info, and the link, Kirk! The TCDB only lists three colors, so that's what I went with, but I appreciate the correction.

      Delete
  4. Glad you liked it! I'm not a football cards guy, so I was just looking for something unique for you Roby collection. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going by the article that Kirk provided, it looks like the blue tabs are the hardest to find, so I guess an extra thank you is in order for getting, and sending, the rarest of the four colors :)

      Delete
  5. That is a very cool Roby card! I haven't seen those McD's scratch-offs in person but they look very interesting from seeing them online. Perhaps I'll track down a Packer one day.

    There's no need to feel awkward about assigning yourself to someone - but if you do, you could always cherry-pick someone you're familiar with to give you a gift. Who would know? ;)

    The candy cane Yelich card is really neat. And if I'd known you rarely get to open packs anymore I would have brought home a bunch of 50 cent packs from the tub I saw at the card show. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty neat, I should've added a scan of the back to the post, because they're pretty impressive info wise.

      I know that you're being facetious, but from a moral standpoint, I just couldn't ever do that. When I saw that Matt got my name I sort of figured he might have a little trouble finding something, which he may have (he didn't say), but either way he came up with a pretty solid package.

      I think so too, I just wish I could've spotted the candy cane without the internet's help. And I don't want to go back and read the post, but if I didn't say it, I meant that I don't get to open newer packs anymore. I still have a bunch of unopened older packs, it's just that with ever increasing cost of the newer stuff, I can't justify purchasing any, five bucks or more for a pack is just too darn much.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for putting together this year's round of Secret Santa. I realize I opted out... but I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's posts about what they received.

    P.S. Love those 1986 McDonalds game cards. I remember collecting the 49ers and Raiders when I was a kid. Like Kirk stated... I'm pretty sure the colored tabs have to do with the week of release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll reconsider joining again next year, no matter who's hosting.

      Apparently everyone but me was familiar with those cards. I was too young to care about such things at the time, and even if I was a little older, I don't know if any sets were even ever released in Oregon. Even though there are plenty of Seahawks fans in the state, I don't know if that would've warranted a Seahawks set being available so far from the team's home base.

      Delete
    2. Maybe. I was a little overwhelmed this year by everything from personal stuff to work stuff... and the fact that I already owe half the blogosphere didn't help. If I can stay on top of care packages this year, I'll think about it.

      As for living in areas where there wasn't an NFL team in the vicinity... I think McDonalds solved that issue by producing a set that contained Pro Bowlers instead of local guys.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I know, you've had some year! You need to tell everyone to stop sending you things, that way you won't owe so many people come next Christmas... which would free you up to join the Secret Santa :)

      Delete