Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Are you down with SCC?


After having blogged for over four years now, I can honestly say that the best thing that has come from doing so, is the relationships that have been developed with my fellow bloggers, as well as with some of the non-blogging readers/commenters who've been kind enough to drop by over the years.

This is a sentiment that I know many share, as it's been expressed in many posts over the years. Some see this though as just another added benefit to the already enjoyable act of blogging, I on the other hand consider it to be the primary reason, if not the only reason, for my still being around (on the blogs that is).


I've made it no secret in recent years that I don't really care for the actual act of blogging. Writing about collectibles isn't all that fun to me, and I HATE scanning! Taking, and editing, photographs, isn't as bad as scanning, but it's still up there on my list of least favorite activities. But you know what I do enjoy (you do if you've been paying attention)? The people! The people involved with blogs (writers and readers) are some of the greatest people that you'll ever encounter, and are certainly the greatest group of card collectors that you'll find anywhere.


I don't work at a place with a lot of of other people, I don't travel via public transit, and my social anxiety prevents me from, well, socializing. So the bulk of my interacting with other humans comes from being involved with the blogs, and these interactions are pretty important to me, meaning that even though I may not enjoy blogging most of the time, I'm not likely to be going anywhere, anytime soon -- at least not as long as a bunch of other people continue to blog, and as long as I know, and see, that people are still reading and commenting on this blog.


I was fortunate enough to have received five packages from fellow bloggers during the month of December (got another one just the other day too), all of whom I have had some contact with outside of the blog, which I have been very thankful for -- the fact that they all thought of me enough to send cards is just an extra added perk that has come from those cherished relationships.

Another perk that comes with getting to know your fellow bloggers, is that you start to get a good sense of what they do and don't collect. There are many instances where such knowledge can come in handy, one of the minor one's being when someone is showing the contents of a pack or box on their blog, and you see something of interest, and know that there's a good chance that they won't be keeping it -- this makes inquiring about said thing of interest much less awkward (it's still pretty awkward for me though). This exact scenario took place last month when Matt, the tireless wonder behind Sport Card Collectors, opened up a box of 2019-20 Prizm.

I was very interested in a pair of cards that came from his box, namely the Damian Lillard and Ray Allen orange cracked ice's, and was fairly certain that he wouldn't be holding on to them, so I asked about their availability, and long story short, a few weeks later they were in hand along with a few other shiny new cards that had been thrown in for good measure. I don't collect the Lakers, or Lonzo Ball, but that orange parallel is really neat, and will be a nice addition to my couple of pages of miscellaneous Lakers cards.

Thanks again for the cards, Matt! And more importantly, thanks for the many back and forths that we've had over the last few years :)

And one final thing, I had fully intended on being caught up with everyone's generosity by now, but I have been struggling mightily with posts since about the beginning of November, so public thank you's have been slow at best. I'm starting to feel guilty - I know, there's no need to, but I still do - so I will try my best to get caught up with those within the next couple of weeks.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. Does that guy really wear the number zero? Also, you're a great peep Jon. Our interactions via email through the years has always been a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he's a zero! Probably grew up idolizing Gilbert Arenas. I guess now we technically have been exchanging emails for years... time flies!

      Delete
  2. Lonzo's card pops off the page! Jon, I'm happy you're still here. You are an intelligent fellow, kind-hearted, fun and a great source of encouragement. Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, and it's really shiny in person too! Intelligent? I don't know about that, but I do get by... you're a saint for saying so though :)

      Delete
  3. Two of my favorites there in Lillard and Allen. The Orange cracked ice parallels really pop.

    I'm grateful that you are still posting and I'm grateful for our discussions on the blogs and via email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look really good! When I saw Matt's post, I didn't even know these were going to be cracked ice's, I just thought they were regular orange parallels. By the by, if you haven't seen them yet, you should go take a look at the red ice Ray Allen, I'm pretty sure that you'll be wanting one after seeing it. I grabbed a cheap one off of COMC after getting this orange one, and I certainly wouldn't mind getting a few more.

      Thanks, I very much appreciate all of the interactions that we've had in the last couple of years, hopefully they'll continue for many more :)

      Delete
  4. Oh man. I hate scanning too. And I won't even begin to tell you how guilty I feel about bloggers I owe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As popular as you are, I can only imagine!

      Delete
  5. Thank you as well for being there. Anytime you need me, just send a DM or email anytime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're good people, Matt! Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise :)

      Delete