Sunday, February 23, 2020

A glutton for punishment

I've been a bad blogger this past week. The free time that I have at night, the time that's usually spent working on posts and/or reading and commenting on other people's posts, was instead spent on sorting cards and doing COMC's Challenges, neither of which I've spent much time doing in recent months.

I was kind of surprised by the sudden want to sort cards, as I think the last time I really did so was back in November. Now that I've moved on to player/person collecting (for the most part), I find myself having quite a bit of stuff that I no longer care about, and since I'm not of the "He who has the most stuff, wins!" mentality, it doesn't make much sense to keep all of this unwanted stuff around.

Basically I've just been sorting things into three piles (not literal piles), keep, give away, and sell. I've had a pretty productive week too, I'd say that I'm already about halfway through this process, and have also already started listing some of the "to sell" stuff. Another positive that has come from doing this, is that I've also found enough cards for at least six more Free Stuff Friday's, and I'm sure that the number of those cards will only continue to grow.

There has been one negative thing to come from all of this sorting though, I've found at least 20 more people that I'd like to start collections for, and about half of those are of the non-sport variety. This has also led to more time spent on COMC, as some of these collections are being started from scratch, and I've been trying to add a couple of cards to each of them. Since these cards require money, and I don't really want to add any to my account (especially now with the sales tax thing), so I've been do the Challenges instead, four or five bucks worth each day (this buys a lot of cards!).

So, like I said, bad blogger! I did try and work on a few posts here and there, but didn't get very far. Now that whole week has passed without posting, I'm feeling a bit guilty about not doing so. Since nothing's finished, I'm cranking out this quick filler post, and will hopefully have something a little more substantial to offer within the next few days.


I spent a little more time than usual on the road this past week, and as such found myself stopping in at a number of places, one of which was the Dollar Tree. As you can probably tell from the picture, I went ahead and did a thing that I said I was going to do again, i.e. buy any more packs of Hoops.

I've already made my feelings about this set known, and yet I still bought more, five packs no less! I really wish that one of these flipper's that I keep hearing about would materialize and buy out the rest of this location's stock, if only so I'd no longer be tempted by these damn things -- apparently the $1 price tag is just too low for me to resist.

If I wasn't impressed with my first three packs, you can probably already guess how I feel after five more, and if you can't, spoiler... I still don't care for them!

Since they're not any more exciting than last time, I'm just gonna blow through these packs. Does anyone else remember back when the various television commentators were trying to convince us that Chris Paul had a legitimate shot at breaking John Stockton's all-time assist record? I wonder how that worked out for him? The border is still blindingly white, but at least they used a pretty decent photo for Gordon Hayward's card.

I can't believe it, this pack actually yielded a keeper (Barkley)! Of course it also yielded a yellow parallel of one of my least players of all time.

I didn't know that these packs ever came with two rookies, not that it really matters though, as I don't think either of these are the rookies that everyone's been going apesh*t over.

Two rookies again... what the heck is going on here? Back in the 90's I had the touch when it came to picking packs, I think it's safe to say that I've lost said touch. And I know that I'm supposed to care about Jokic, but I don't.

Well, this pack has an ex-Blazer, so I guess that's something? It really isn't, but I'm trying to be positive here... can you tell?

So that's five more Hoops packs in the bag, and all of one keeper, which is slightly better than getting no keepers from my first three packs. Now if those damn vultures show up sometime before I go to the Dollar Tree again, that would be awesome.

On an unrelated, but also semi-related note, I found out this past week that the increasing pain that I've been experiencing in my right foot since about Christmas, is plantar fasciitis. I only mention this because for years I would hear of basketball players missing games due to this, and I'd always say things like "What a wuss!" or "Really, you can't play through that?", but I'm here to tell you that I was wrong, it is kind of painful, and I can see why players would miss games because of it. As for me, I've got it right in the arch, so if I stand wrong, or try to lean down with my weight on that foot, I get a shooting pain up in to my calf which causes my leg to try and buckle. Supposedly rest will take care of it, but if I haven't taken it easy all winter, I'm not about to start now that nicer weather is almost here, so I'll just have to "play" through it for the time being.

As mentioned, I'll try to get some better posts going for later in the week, but in the meantime I've got a bunch of other blogs to catch up on...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

31 comments:

  1. who are looking for in non sports, I have some to move

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on what it is I might have some too

      Delete
    2. I'm getting behind with blog stuff again, but I hope to have some lists up soon.

      Delete
  2. I've actually had the opposite problem; I've spent so much time blogging that I've neglected to catch up on trade/care packages and I'm keeping people waiting, which stresses me out more than it probably should. But when my mind is in a creative mood I have to ride that wave until it fades out, and right now all I want to do is write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then speaking on behalf of all of the blog readers... KEEP WRITING! :)

      Delete
  3. I would totally buy these packs and then pull no yellow Blazers and be sad about it. I don't think the Dollar Tree stores around here carry cards anymore, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even pull a non-yellow Blazer! It's funny too, I don't remember going into, or even ever seeing for that matter, a Dollar Tree in Portland. The first time I ever went into one was after I moved here. Have you tried any of the Vancouver locations? It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that they had cards and Portland didn't.

      Delete
  4. Fun post. Blake Griffin is so good...when he is on the court which of course he hasn't been able to do consistently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may have some talent, but I absolutely loathe him as a player.

      Delete
  5. You know, if you start blogging more that'll keep you off your foot! Haha!
    Seriously though, good luck healing your arch. Sounds miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but you know as well as I do that being outdoors, going on hikes, etc. is much more fun than just sitting around blogging.

      Delete
  6. You are not a bad blogger. Don't feel guilty about not blogging. We all take breaks from various activities for various lengths of time for various reasons. And we know bloggers blog whenever the circumstances are right. You just be you. We appreciate you and all of your posts.

    Plantar fasciitis does not sound like fun. I hope your foot condition improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I don't have a stressful job, or family commitments, like so many other bloggers, so there really isn't much excuse for me to not blog.

      Thanks, it isn't, so please be sure to never get it.

      Delete
    2. I don't have those things either, but I've been missing regular posts too.

      PS - Wizards sighting! Do you have a second starter set of Hoops yet?

      Delete
    3. Sounds like we're both dropping the ball then :)

      Second starter set? I don't even have one set going, I just can't seem to stop buying packs of this crappy set.

      Delete
  7. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel better soon! I'm interested to see who you are picking up in the non-sports arena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lists, and hopefully posts, will be coming soon.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't mean for my foot issue to be a thing, but I still appreciate all of the well wishes.

      Delete
  10. I tried to get into Panini Hoops a few times, but just couldn't. Not sure what it is, maybe the generic design? Who knows.

    Blog when you want to-- Don't feel like you NEED to. It's all in your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it's definitely the generic design!

      Yes, I know, it's always in our own heads.

      Delete
  11. Hope you foot feels better!!

    And if you are tossing away any of those 90s inserts I know of a home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I might be paring a few of those down.

      Delete
  12. I think you know what you can do with these Hoops cards too. In fact, since they don't carry them locally, perhaps I can even come up with a way for you to get them out of there...literally, as in, I'll send you some money, and you buy them and send them to me (unopened! I love opening packs!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your foot feels better soon. And best of luck with those COMC challenges. I'm down to under $50 in my account over there and don't have any plans to replenish it, unless the have some really cool incentives or something. The sales tax thing really stinks... but now that it's hit eBay as well... I look at it as a sign that I should probably cut back and appreciate the cards already sitting in my collection. Oh... and have fun with the sorting. I should probably try the three metaphorical stacks approach at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have to finally take up the Challenges as well then. The internet sales tax really sucks, I've checked and they are doing it for TN on COMC now, but it still hasn't gone into affect on eBay? As far as the sorting goes, it hasn't been fun, but it sure is nice to see the outgoing piles continue to outpace the keeping piles.

      Delete
  14. I hope your foot feels better. I am a little surprised that Coby White is not getting more hype. I am not sure how he is playing, but people loved him in college. Those UNC guys are always pretty popular in the NBA too. Maybe he just gets hyped locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's because the Bulls are so bad, at least that's what I've read.

      Delete