Thursday, March 5, 2020

Making room for Moyer


It's been another slow week around here on the blog. Apparently I'm incapable of sorting lots of cards and working on blog posts at the same time, not literally at the same time mind you, just on the same days.

Not working on posts has been a bad thing, but by not doing so I've been able to get through about 75% of my cards, or at least the one's that were questionable as far if I wanted to keep or not. So far the sort has gone really well, the boxes of stuff to sell and giveaway continue to outpace the keepers, and since trying to thin the herd was the whole point of doing this, so I've been quite pleased with how it's been turning out.

It's been going a lot quicker than I thought it would too, which is also nice, given how much I hate sorting large volumes of cards. I am definitely getting tired of this big sort, and even though I'm fairly close to finishing, I think I'm gonna take the rest of this week off, and probably next week as well. This will hopefully give me a chance to get a few finished posts stored in the reserve, and go back to the sorting in a few weeks.

Aside from the finding so many cards that I no longer feel the need to keep, the other big thing to come from this endeavor is a bunch of new player collections. Most of those have been of the football variety, but there has been a few baseball players added as well, although only one of them has played semi-recently, that being Jamie Moyer.

I can't imagine that the starting of this collection will be of much interest to too many people, but I haven't been doing very many baseball posts as of late, so any excuse to do one...

The good thing about me starting new player collections is that I'm usually only starting with a couple of cards, so it's pretty easy to get all of them into one post, and Jamie Moyer is no exception!

The idea to start collecting Jamie came when I found his card in a stack of 1995 Score Gold Rush that I was going through, a card that I didn't even recall having -- which by the way, is part of the reason for this big sort, as I'm officially tired of finding things that I didn't remember having! Anyways, at one time I was pretending to work on that set, and had bought a cheap lot or two on eBay, which got inventoried, and then put in a box, where they've been sitting now for at least five years. Jamie ended up being the only card that I'm going to keep, so in my mind that was a very successful go through.

After mulling over the idea of starting a Jamie Moyer collection for a couple of minutes, and then deciding that yes, I did want to do so -- I went in search of other card of his.

Off the top of my head, I could only think of one other card of his that I had, that being a 1987 Topps rookie blank back that I got off of Listia a number of years ago. I can't remember exactly when I got it, but if I had to guess I'd say it was five or six years ago, definitely pre-blog, because I was using that site quite a bit back then... back before greed took hold of the site's creator(s).

I don't have a lot of contemporary baseball cards, so I knew that if I were going to find any more of Jamie's cards, I'd have to turn to my misc. team binders, which is basically where I just stash the random stuff that I like, but doesn't fit anywhere else. Those two binders ended up yielding another two cards, one of which is this bitchin' white Turkey Red.

It's hard to believe that it's been over twenty years since he joined the Mariners, 24 to be exact! I had only seen him pitch a couple of times before he came to Seattle, and honestly didn't think too much about him either way before doing so, but being a die-hard Mariners fan at the time, it didn't take long to warm up to him. His pitching style was unique to say the least, and he had/has a very likable personality, which always make it easier to root for someone. In fact, I liked him so much, that he ended up being one of the few players who's career I tried to actively follow after leaving the team. And I was very happy for him when he was able to get that ring with Philly, although I would've much rather seen him do so back in 2001 with the Mariners.

Though it was found in one of my random team binders, this card comes from yet another abandoned set build, and I believe that this could be considered a sunset card as well, or at least one of his many sunset cards that were released in 2012.

Four cards isn't much of a start, especially since the TCDB says that he has almost 1,200 to his name, but at least these four cards make up for a nice cross section of his career. I would imagine too that some of those almost 1,200 cards are stickers, postcards, etc., so the actual number might be a little closer to 1,100... which is still an awful lot of cards to chase!

Oh, and speaking of the TCDB, I had some time the other morning to play around, and rather than trying to work on a blog post, I instead spent some of that time taking the site for a test run, a test run that ultimately ended with me driving into a metaphoric brick wall. Talk about confusing! I tried to add some cards to a collection list, at least that's what I thought I was trying to do, but it sure didn't turn out so well. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I think I'm gonna have to hit up the YouTube and see if anyone's made a "TCDB for dum dums" video, before trying again. But seriously though, I will try again, it just might be a few weeks before I feel like failing again.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

22 comments:

  1. Jamie Moyer's a lot of fun (loved watching him pitch), and one of my player collections, though I'm pretty low-key about it, so I probably won't snake too much stuff out from under you. Best of luck chasin' his cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I had seen someone else who was collecting him, but for the life of me couldn't remember who it was... now I know!

      Delete
  2. I've also kicked around the idea of collecting Jamie Moyer cards. Love guys like that who stuck around forever.

    If you find a "TCDB for dum dums" video, let us know because I could use it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly did play for a long time!

      Oh no, you too? It sucks to think of someone else having difficulties with the site, but it's also kind of nice to know that I'm not alone :)

      Delete
  3. I started this exact same small collecting effort recently too. Should make for a nice random page of baseball cards to have a 2012 and a 1987 on the same page for the same player. (My goal is just 9 cards).

    The whole thing makes me want to check out his book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a span would make for a neat page! Hopefully you'll be blogging about the project at some point.

      Book? I didn't even know that he had one!

      Delete
  4. Since he played forever on a bunch of different teams, I thought he'd make a good player collection too, but I've got enough already, so I didn't do it. I bet I can add to yours though! :) Might even have a couple set aside already from before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get quite a few myself, enough so that I'm really hoping that I don't find too many more. That would be cool if you could, but please don't go out of your way though.

      Delete
  5. I'm no expert in using the TCDB, but you're always welcome to message me there with any questions. I'll help as best I can! (My user name there is Kep75).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm gonna need a complete tutorial!

      Delete
  6. I bet the community hooks you up quickly with a Moyer stash. Not sure if you've looked yet, but at the bottom of any TCDB page is an gray block with links. I found the FAQs quite helpful. I find the forums educational as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know, I can't imagine very many people having a bunch of his cards lying around, which is fine, since getting cards sent to me wasn't the point of the post. I read the FAQ's... they didn't help :(

      Delete
  7. Moyer is an easy guy to like. No reason not to collect him. He should also have plenty of great cards. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't ever have to worry about guy who threw 85 mph fastball's being accused of juicing while he was playing :)

      Delete
  8. A Moyer pc will net you a lot of variety in terms of card designs and teams, that's for sure! And, if I may offer a shameless plug, I would be interested in dodgers from your abandoned 1995 score gold rush venture, along with a pat kelly card if you have it and are willing to trade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking too. It'll allow me to get cards/parallels from sets that I normally wouldn't have any reason to get cards from. I'll take a look and see if I have anything, and no trade will be necessary if I do :)

      Delete
  9. Lol. I'd totally watch a TCDB for dum dums video on YT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like there might be enough of us out there to warrant the making of just such a video by some enterprising young soul!

      Delete
  10. I had no idea there would be such a demand for a video tutorial on using TCDB. I don't know if I'd be the best person for creating such a thing as I'm a little more of a behind the scenes type, but I currently have 200 different collections on there, and have a large number of my cards listed there (still missing about 60-80K of stuff available for trade). For those of you who are struggling with the database, please send me a PM on TCDB (vrooomed) and tell me what area or areas are troubling you. I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are legion! :)

      If you're not the person to do it, maybe you'd someone who is? In the meantime, it's good of you to offer assistance to those of us who are struggling to figure out how to use the site.

      Delete
  11. The fact that Moyer started his career in the late 1980s and kept going through the beginning of the 2010s is truly remarkable. Love the 2012 Topps parallel by the way. I never knew that he played for the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His longevity was pretty awesome! I remember his final go with the Rockies well enough, but I always forget that he was an Oriole.

      Delete