Saturday, September 5, 2020

Deal of the century


I think that everyone knows all about eBay's super fantastic once-in-a-lifetime coupon by now, right? The $25 off of a purchase of $25.01 or more coupon, yes? Technically it's still going on, so I guess if you somehow hadn't heard about it, you've still got time.

I found out about it last weekend during a brief (very brief as it would turn out) stop over on the Twitter. It was one of those things that you really couldn't miss, as the usual bickering and complaining had seemingly been put on hold for one night, only to be replaced by a series of collective orgasms from the card community, the seeing of which made me instantly long for the days of bickering and complaining -- it truly was that gross.

Not being above influence, I managed to pry myself away from the all of the fluids that were being virtually exchanged, and made my way to everyone'e  "favorite" auction site. Not having anything above $25.01 in my watch list, as well as not holding out much hope of this manna applying to yours truly, I just found, and subsequently added, some random expensive thing to my cart. After all, I'm not gonna waste a bunch of time looking for something, only to find out that the code doesn't work for me.

So, I got my expensive item in cart, went to the checkout, added the HAPPY25 code into the promotions box, hit the 'apply', and...

Wait for it...



Wait for it...



Geez, what part of "wait for it" don't you understand? :)



Okay, moment of truth...


What? WHAT??? That's bulljive! Is this discrimination? Am I being discriminated against? Is it because I'm Irish? Is eBay anti Irish? Never in all my years... someone get Johnny Cochrane on the blower, I think I've got a case for him!

I sincerely hope that no one thinks that I'm being serious, I mean it's true that the code didn't work for me, but everything else is just me f*cking around, oh, but that part about Twitter was true as well, and it was a bit disturbing.

So, while the code didn't work for me, which really wasn't that disappointing, as I didn't relish the thought of spending hours on eBay trying to find something (something too that was actually reasonably priced, just cause it's free money, doesn't mean I would've been rewarding anyone's bad behavior by buying their stupidly high priced item), but I do hope that it worked for everyone else, you deserved it!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

30 comments:

  1. Code didn't work for me either. I think it only works on ebay accounts that've been around since the 90s or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they say, but a number of people seemed to have slipped through the cracks.

      Delete
  2. It did work for me. I've only had an account for a few years. Ebay fine print says for one item over 25.01 before tax and shipping. Must be used on a "buy it now." No best offers or auctions. I don't understand the randomness of this either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My test item fit all of that criteria. I'm glad to hear that it worked for you though, and will be curious to see what you used it on.

      Delete
  3. Didn't work for me, bummer. And it is because you are Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't work for me either and I'm not even Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it would work for me though as there is a 2010 Ginter relic I need but the seller is asking way too much for it. Getting a "free" $25 would help me out.

      Delete
    2. I wish it would've worked for you too, heck, I would've been completely okay if it worked for everyone but me.

      Delete
  5. The message I received from eBay (2 days after Josh at royals and randoms made me aware of the code) said that it is "a special coupon just for our first members". I joined in December of 1999 for what it's worth. Also, I'm not Irish, but I do have some Scot in me on my father's side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two accounts, the first of which was opened in either '02 or '03. Scottish, eh? I never pictured you as the kilt type :)

      Delete
  6. When I received the email from eBay with the code, it did mention that this was a thank you for being a member from the beginning. I wasn't a member since the very, very beginning... but I have been since the late 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I don't even think eBay knows exactly what it's qualifications were.

      Delete
  7. I officially joined ebay in 2002 but I've been using it since 1998 but back then I used my store's ID and didn't bother making my own...I shorted myself $25 20 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw it while looking at my eBay messages for the first time in about five years. Used it on a non-sport set that I had previously made offers to two other sellers for and didn't get any response from either of them. Found the same set for $30 less than the first two and then used the coupon which cut it down that much further.
    I've been on the 'Bay since 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didnt work for me either, was very disappointing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet there was no shortage of stuff that you could've used it on, too!

      Delete
    2. I would have absolutely crammed a lot in

      Delete
  10. I thought the code was only good for members who have had an account for 20+ years, but Julie brings up a good point about the conditions. There does seem to be a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wonder how many people qualified, but tried to use it the wrong way, and ended up leaving money on the table because they thought it didn't work.

      Delete
  11. Didn't work for me either. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would've been a little difficult for you to have had an account before 2000, provided that's one of the criteria of course.

      Delete
  12. Man, I can never get them to work. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that you wouldn't have much trouble in finding something to use it on either!

      Delete