Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Getting too smart for it's own good

I noticed my phone doing a curious thing while texting with my mom this past weekend. For what I hope are obvious reasons, I will not be posting screen shots of the text conversation. I did however, go to Google to see if this curiosity would replicate itself, which it did, so I'll be posting those grabs instead.

I was getting ready to type "replying" during our conversation, and couldn't help but notice the first thing that popped up in the auto-suggest (auto-fill?) box after I typed the "r". Despite being in mid conversation, I took a second to follow the phone's lead, and tapped on the "Reggie", which brought up a delightful, if not totally unexpected, result...

Google may not know what's up, but my phone clearly does. And for record, no, I didn't leave Reggie Roby's name just randomly placed in the conversation.

It's also worth pointing out that while my phone may be syncing up with my being, Google seems to be going in the opposite direction. Need proof? Just look at those three suggested items on the first screen. "restaurants near me" Really? In all my years of internetting, I have not once sought out an eatery near me, or anywhere else for that matter. "russia ukraine"? Yeah, right! Why would I, or anyone else, be seeking out something that's currently on the home page of just about every single website. And "Regions Bank", I don't even know what that is -- aside from being a bank of some sort. Those are searches for boring people. You want interesting searches, look at the first three on that screen, those are all me! Granted, I only remember doing one of the three, but still, at least they've got soul. "restaurants near me"... GTFOH with that lame-ass suggestion!

I guess it's just you and me, phone. Nobody gets me like you do :)

10 comments:

  1. I guess the next question is, how well do you want Google to know you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how many different accounts I have with them, I would've assumed that they knew everything about me already.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'd prefer no phones period, myself. I suppose if I'm unfortunate to live long enough to see a time when it's just me, I'll get my wish.

      Delete
  3. Interesting. Rosicrucian Museum but not Rose Garden…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across the museum while working on an upcoming post for my Portland Beavers blog. It looks like somewhere that I would've enjoyed going to quite a bit. Now that I'm on the other side of the country though, I doubt that I'll ever get there.

      Delete
  4. Interesting that Rosicrucian Museum ranks high on the R search. I could understand if it happened on my phone, since I live twenty minutes away from the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I mentioned it in the post, but probably wasn't clear enough (as usual). The first three things on the first screen are search history items, the museum being one of them. That's also why they have that little clock thing next to them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was from when I was trying to come up with a name for my new blog. Unfortunately, "Ramble On" was already taken.

      Delete