Friday, March 18, 2022

Wow

The auctions on Sportlots have always been hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes there's a proliferation of interesting items listed, and other times, it's just a bunch of glorified dime box cards. There are rarely enough new items listed each day to warrant my looking through them that often, but I have a found a couple of really good deals on there over the years, so with that in mind, I do go and skim through the relevant (to me) listings every couple of days or so. It usually only takes a couple of minutes, so even if I don't come across anything of interest, I don't feel like I've wasted much time, if any, looking.

Yesterday was one of those days that I went to look. Upon landing on the site, I noticed a familiar listing right there on the front of the site where they feature the auctions that are ending soon. I say familiar, because it feels like I had been seeing it for months, which, when discussing a Sportlots auction, is entirely possible. As an aside, for those that don't know, Sportlots auctions are ostensibly 3-day listings, but every time a new high bid is entered, the listing resets to day 1. So if there are enough interested parties, an auction on there could, in theory, go on almost indefinitely. I've never liked that format myself, but others seem to be okay with it, so maybe it's just a me thing.

Anyway, back to this old listing...

Oh, sorry, another quick aside, I've just finally learned how to take screenshots with my laptop and phone, so if anything looks off here, I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

Ok, so this the listing the caught my eye yesterday morning. I knew that I had seen it before, but it felt like it was many months ago. As it turns out, it was a rather old listing.

I couldn't get the whole history on to one page, but you can see that this auction started over two months ago. It looked like it might finally be ending when I saw it yesterday, and since you can't look at completed auctions on this site, I decided grab some of these images in case it was gone this morning -- which it was.

I didn't think to grab a close-up until after I had closed down my laptop last night.
I realize that I'm completely out of touch with just about everything at this point, and I'm sure that there are people out there who still go gaga over relic cards, and I'm also sure that someone's gonna tell me that a Mike Trout relic/patch something-or-another just recently sold for a million dollars (or some other ridiculous sum), but I just find it hard to believe that anyone would pay this much for one of these newer relics of very questionable origins (I also find it hard to believe that at least two people spent the last couple of months bidding back and forth for this particular card)  And this has nothing to do with the player featured, I mean I collect Roger Maris, or at least I try to; but even if money weren't an issue, I couldn't see myself ever paying more than a couple of dollars for this glorified insert.

The card itself is butt fugly, and Panini's guarantee on the back is just downright silly. It says something to the affect of "Panini of America guarantees that this game-worn material is authentic". Ha! It sure doesn't sound like Roger ever even saw this material, does it? In fact, that sort of disclaimer makes me think more of Stu, from the mail room, wearing this "material" during a recent game of Monopoly. And slapping a 1-of-1 on the back doesn't make it any more authentic. Now that I think about it though, maybe these bidders were both collectors of all things "Stu"? In a funny sort of  way, that might actually make more sense :)

19 comments:

  1. I thought at first that you had gotten a really good deal on an auction. Oh well.

    That is pretty weird. I certainly wouldn't pay $200 for any modern card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the unintentional swerve, John. If things keep going the way that they've been going, you're not gonna be seeing any really good deals around here in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Ugly card.

    His place in baseball history is well-known. But yeah - $200 is a lot more than I would pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that most bloggers wouldn't be paying that much for a card like this.

      Delete
  3. Totally agree. That auction format is maddening and this card is both lame and overpriced. And I'm saying this even though Maris is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, he's got a lot more interesting cards out there that are considerably more affordable than this.

      Delete
  4. A. You're not alone. An auction that resets itself would drive me nuts. I'm way too impatient.

    B. I enjoy game-used memorabilia cards, but wouldn't spend over $100 for one unless it was Babe Ruth... or signed by someone like Mike Trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly hard to keep up with if you're trying to bid on something.

      I'm not saying that they're all bad, just the ones with these shady guarantees.

      Delete
  5. I usually pay little attention to Sportlots auctions, but the price on that one did catch my eye. Have no clue why anyone would spend that much on a such a bland card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's boring as all get out. And I have no clue either.

      Delete
  6. I wonder if it is the 1/1 status rather than the patch that drove the price up. If you have two Maris supercollectors with money, than perhaps it's not surprising a unique card went for that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is, certain collectors love those 1/1's; and they're usually the ones with money to burn.

      Delete
  7. I do not understand the obsession with 1/1 cards. I have pulled a bunch of them over the years and I think I have ended up selling them all at some point. It's amazing what some people will spend money on.

    I like some of the old relic cards, but I think they should all be treated skeptically. There was a former MLB player whose kids went to my school a few years back. He has bat relic cards. I was talking to him about one day. He said a guy from a card company showed up one day and asked for a bat, so he reached into his locker and gave him one that was unused from a batch that he did not like. Not game used, but the back of the card claims it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people just get off on the idea of owning something that no one else can. I have a couple of 1/1's in player collections, but if I'm being honest, I don't consider those cards to be any more special just because they say 1/1.

      I believe it. There's been a few other stories out there over the years too, that make it a lot harder to believe that the majority of the relic cards are what they say they are.

      Delete
  8. I like the ones that used to show a picture of the actual relic on the back, especially the items that were clearly used. Those could usually at least be somewhat verified by matching up the pieces to the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so hard to look at these relics and try to believe they are real from players so long ago. You want to believe but jts hard to. Most of their veteran or legendary players in products now are player used. Bleh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Also, even if they were real, I'd much rather Panini, or Topps, not cut up something this old. If you wanna do a 1/1, then just do a redemption for the actual jersey... still intact!

      Delete