Thursday, February 1, 2024

Pack Sampling: 2024 CardBoredom Exclusive

From what I've been able to gather, the blogs will soon be inundated with the opening of packs and boxes from the coming release of Topps' flagship baseball set. Spoiler alert: I will be one of the few who doesn't partake in that particular frenzy. Nor will I be joining the craze for the next big thing the following week, or the week after that. But some of you probably already knew that. Thankfully, I'm many years past that kind of chaos. That being said, I won't be missing out entirely on the ripfest; as I've just unknowingly lucked into a pack of cards from what will undoubtedly be this year's hottest release.

This came courtesy of, David, who not only helms the excellent CardBoredom website, but is also behind the semi-recently started blog of the same name. I don't know how many packs were produced, but I'm assuming that they were fairly limited.

This release has received little to no hype, has had no commercials produced for it, no previews have been dropped on the Twitter, and no breakers have been paid to influence anyone to spend their lifesavings on it. In other words, I don't know what to expect from it. In a way, it's kind of like the old days when you didn't know what was what until you actually opened up your first pack. If the design of the pack is anything to go by though, I think I'm gonna be in for something good.

I've heard of people pulling something of great interest to them and then stating that it was almost like the that pack had their name on it. Well, this pack literally has my name on it, so that's gotta be a good sign, right?

It's been a few years since I've last opened up a pack of cards, and even longer since said pack was of the wax variety. I've dusted off my old, albeit short-lived, pack opening series for the occasion, and am ready to see if I remember how to do this right. So, without further ado...

Wow, a 1961 Topps Billy Muffett! I haven't opened any packs for a few years now, but I'd probably be more inclined to do so if more of them started off like this. It's hard to imagine that anything better could out of this particular pack, but there's still 14 more cards to go...

Another 1961 Topps Billy Muffett!! Were I to be attempting to collect this set I might be inclined to say something about the poor collation of this pack, but I'm not, so I won't. In fact, so far, this pack is collated almost like it had my name on it 😏

Two down, 13 to go...

It's a Billy Muffett hot pack!

I can imagine someone whose shown up here for the first time being confused by what they're seeing, and/or possibly thinking that I've been the recipient of a practical joke. If you're that someone, I can assure you that, no, I was not pranked -- this is one of my all-time favorite cards, and is one that I'm mildly hoarding. I say mildly, only because it's not my goal to own every single copy produced; just a whole bunch of them. And in case those in the know haven't figured out yet what David's done, let's move on to card #4...

Yep, it's another one. I was really tempted to do this 11 more times, but I'll put you out of your misery (the suspense must be killing you!)...

That's officially the best photo that you'll see on the blogs today. 

I can, without any hyperbole, say that is the greatest pack of cards that I've ever opened. Sure, I've probably opened packs that had cards worth more monetarily, but in terms of sentiment; this one top(p)s them all. And honestly too, I don't see how any future pack could ever take this one's place, well, maybe if there were 16 Billy Muffett's...

I can also now say, with only a hint of jest, that 15 of my beloved Billy Muffett's were pack pulled, by me no less. That's very cool.

Some may've noticed that the pack stated that it came with gum, which it did, safely sandwiched between two pieces of cardstock. Hopefully David won't be offended by my not chewing the gum; with all of my fillings I'd be afraid to try and chew gum at this point in my life (it sure smells good though!). I have, however, slipped it into a penny sleeve so that I can keep with the wrapper that I was thankfully able to salvage most of. I don't imagine that I'll ever be the recipient of another custom pack, so I will be keeping this one -- probably in the binder that's housing my Billy Muffett's.

I'd be remiss too if I didn't also show how the pack was shipped. Foam holders in between foam board. Take note Topps, that's how all of your cards can be guaranteed PSA 11's right from the get go.

To my monkey brain, people creating custom wrappers is akin to someone turning base metals into gold. Even with the curtain being pulled back, it still feels like wizardry. 

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical when I got David's email a few weeks ago saying that he had some cards for me. I don't have any want lists up on the blog currently, and aside from my leaving a few comments on his blog, we had never had any real contact. Clearly though, my skepticism was uncalled for, as David would've been hard pressed to send a better mailing.

Many thanks to David for this extremely fun (and thoughtful) surprise. I'm not sure that I was worth all of the effort, but am extremely grateful for it nonetheless.

16 comments:

  1. LOL well done by David. That's the Billy Muffet version of getting Bipped, but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Anyway, what you got was better than anything you'd find in 99.9% of packs these days. Kudos to David for the very cool pack design and execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...I think getting "Muffed" has a mischievous charm to it...

      Delete
  2. Very cool. Fascinating following the process he used on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I think it might be safe to say you will never rip another one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also a recipient of his generosity. Knew he had a website but not the blogspot site. Glad you pointed out that one, as I wanted to make comments on a couple of his posts but couldn't comment on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. Especially love the personalized wrapper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pack design and congrats on being the first to get Muffetted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome - and your comment about being better than cards in a modern day pack that is absolutely true! That packaging is really cool as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing!!! I love the card pack wrapper too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The package holding the cards is great on its own. I do agree that the photo of the thousand Billy Muffetts is the greatest picture I've seen today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a sharp-looking and thoughtful mailing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you enjoyed the Muffett cards as much as I have enjoyed watching you get to five full binder sheets of them. This has been quite the write-up, thank you.

    ReplyDelete