Wednesday, February 7, 2024

The Super Bowl of scan dumps (Part 1)


One of my unofficial goals for this blog, this year, is to finally get all of my old scans, some of which have been collecting virtual dust for upwards of three years, into posts. I don't know how doable this'll be, what with me only posting a couple of times a month on here now, but I'm still gonna try to have all of the old folders cleared by year's end.

I think that the easiest way to achieve this goal will be to do a series of themed scan dumps (like I did last Halloween). One a month might be enough to get caught up, and still allow me to talk about other things in-between dumps (😄). 

The first batch for this year will be a two-parter in honor of the coming Super Bowl. 

As I've said on many occasions, I haven't watched a current sporting event in many years now, with the Super Bowl being no exception. I can't remember what year it was, but the last one that I watched was the Patriots v. Seahawks.

I'm so out of touch with what's currently happening that I couldn't even tell you whose playing this year. The only reason I know it's coming is from hearing commercials on the radio. In year's past, you could know the game was coming by all of the commercials about the "Big Game" starting up. Those are still a thing, but in recent years you also get an influx of commercials for sports betting apps/sites as well. You know those, right, the one's that promise you the potential for fabulous riches if you'd just be willing to bet next week's paycheck. I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I can't be the only one who thinks that those ads are gross. I hear them so often now that's already becoming hard to remember that there was a time when such things were considered taboo.

Anyway, despite my zero interest in current football happenings, I do still collect football cards; though I don't get them nearly as often as I used to. And when I do, they're are usually just for player collections (there's a few exceptions to that in this post).

Everything in this post came from COMC, and I believe that it's all been sitting in scan folders for at least two years, which - since I only request my stuff from them to be shipped once a year - means some of these could've been purchased upwards of 3-4 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that I got this card and the Bethea up top from the same seller, and only did so at the time because A). They were extremely cheap, and B). I didn't own a card of either guy and thought, at the time, that I should. Now that a couple of years have passed, I'm not so sure that I needed to.

Color-matching Prizms became all the rage for basketball collectors after the boom got going (mostly thanks to "influencers"), but I don't know if that same craze ever carried over to football. My interest in all things Prizm pretty much died once the boom started, and I've since sold off the bulk of my Prizm cards. I did keep all of the ones I had in player collections though. I think that this one in particular might just be one of my favorites, and is also one of my favorite Ronnie Lott cards (that I own).

I like the 2014 purple Prizm that I have for Fran a lot more than this 2015, but for less than a buck (I don't think that I would've paid more than that for it) this one isn't too bad. John Bunting didn't appear on a lot of cards, so it's kind of neat to see him lurking in the background of this one.

I briefly thought about collecting Tim Tebow, and I must've bought these two during that period. The thought didn't last long, and honestly, if I hadn't had these scanned I probably wouldn't have even remembered getting them. They're nice enough cards, I guess, but they're not doing anything for me these days.

Speaking of cards that aren't doing anything for me. I really enjoyed watching Mike Alstott play and did start collecting him a few years ago, but it wasn't until after I started doing so that I realized that his cards appear in an awful lot of sets whose designs are unappealing to me visually (I had the same problem with Ichiro). So, while I'd love to collect him, the thought of having a binder full of ugly cards, that I'd never want to look at, forced me to stop doing so. And even though I've decided recently to take on some SLU sets, this isn't one of them, so it's expendable. Fuji recently mentioned having a couple of binders of SLU cards, so I'll give him first crack at it. If he doesn't need it though, it'll be available (for nothing in return) to whoever else might want it. 

As far as set designs go, the '62 Topps Football is arguably the most unique from that decade. The little inset photo is where it's all about for me. The photo on this card is particularly good. It's hard to tell if John got that pass off or not. It looks like he did, but who knows. I'd also be curious to know who #74 in the photo is. I only know of two players from that time that wore #74, Bob Lilly, who it most certainly isn't, and Merlin Olsen, who was just drafted in '62, so it doesn't seem like it could be him either. 

John Brodie isn't a guy that I actively collect, but if I come across any cheap cards of his I won't turn them down.

Were it still doable, I'd love to try and collect all of the 90's Dufex parallel sets, but I think I'm a couple of decades too late such an attempt though. I'll just have to continue to be content with the ones I get for player collections. I'm not sure too, but I think that that's Natrone Means that Steve is about to bring down. I haven't heard Natrone's name mentioned in years, I should probably go see what he's been up to.

Seeing as how his cards are still so cheap, I really should put more effort into completing my Papa Nerf collection. As it stands, I've only got like 4 or 5 of his cards; though one of his better one's is in my coming COMC shipment. I don't how unique it is amongst kickers, but I always thought it was kind of interesting that he never missed a single game during his 15-year career.

Looking through my old scan folders sometimes leave's me wondering what I was thinking when I scanned certain things; this one being a perfect example. I mean, aside from both being for player collections, these two cards have zero things in common (okay, I guess they're both parallels, but...) and don't even look good scanned together.

It looks like shit in the scan, but those old Collector's Choice gold parallels still look really good in person. And their one-per-box ratio means that they can still be difficult to find (depending on the player, of course) thirty years later. This is another set that I wish I would've started working on back when they were new. I don't know if it would be completed by now if I had, but I'm sure that I'd have more than the three cards from it that I currently have.

The J-Stew is kind of an ugly die-cut from his stint with the Giants, which I never saw any of, but it's still sort of color matching, and had to be very cheap for me to have bought it.

Speaking of J-Stew...

All of these are blue parallels of one kind or another too, which look a bit better with his Panthers jersey than the light blue/Giants combination up above. I can't remember what it's called, but the Prizm on the right is my favorite from group.

I think if I didn't have anything else to collect, I'd seriously consider trying to complete full runs (i.e. all of the colors) of the old McDonald's sets. I really do like them. It's just not in the "cards" right now. 

My Steve Young collection has really fallen by the wayside since I stopped going to shows. The same could be said for Eric Dickerson too. In fact, I think that these last two cards might've been the last two that I've added to their respective collections. If you blink you might miss that this is a 1st Day Issue. The stamp doesn't stand out quite as much as it does for those of the baseball and basketball varieties. Still a neat card though.

The last three cards in this post are a bit off-beat for a football card post, but I don't know where else to put them, so...

Saved by the Bell: The College Years was the shits, and as a kid I found it to be a bit depressing as well. In my opinion, this card, a Prism insert of Bob Golic as Mike Rogers, is the only good thing that ever came from this shows existence. I think I have three copies in my Bob Golic collection, and am always up for getting more.

Ted Fritsch is best know for his time with the Green Bay Packers, but he also played in the NBA during it's early days, and even spent a year playing minor league baseball. I believe that this 1977 Fritsch One Year Winners is his only baseball card. I had an idea for a mini-collection that never panned out, and therefor no longer need this card, so if anyone wants it just say the word.

American Gladiators was a huge part of my childhood/early teen years. For fans of the show, who are also card collectors, aside from Topps' 1991 Gladiators release, there aren't a whole lot of options out there. To my knowledge, only two autographs of Gladiators have appeared in sets thus far, Lee Reherman, who was Hawk, being one of them (Jim Starr in Topps' 75th Anniversary set being the other). It's a bit of a stretch, but Lee did play football at Cornell University, hence his inclusion in this post.

My recent health issue (as mentioned on my non-card blog) has made computering rather difficult as of late, so this post is showing up much later in the week than I wanted, but I'm still gonna try and get part two out before the "Big Game", which I'm assuming (based, again, on the increase of radio ads) is this Sunday.

20 comments:

  1. Voting for the McDonald's Eric Dickerson. Page and Bethea are good gets too.
    Hope you get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a life-long Vikings fan you can't go wrong with Page, Tarkenton and "Super Toe" Freddie Cox! I almost got to meet Cox as he was going to be the special speaker for Church Camp one summer. He was, just the week after I was there! Praying that your health condition will be on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all accounts, he was a great guy. It's too bad that you didn't get to meet him. And thank you, hopefully someone's listening :)

      Delete
  3. First, I hope you get some medical assistance with what you described on your other blog, that sounds super annoying! Second, you showed off some very cool stuff here, from vintage football to color matched prizms plus my favorite: Dufex! I can't say I entirely find your experience of picking up some stuff in the past few years and then not really liking it at this point relatable, but then I really only acquire stuff of my player collections and teams these days. What I DO find relatable is having tons of stuff to post and just not getting to it for a long time, so I hope the occasional scan dump helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably have to, as it doesn't seem to be getting better on it's own. I tend to lose interest in things almost as quickly as I fall in love with them, so buying things and then no longer caring about them by the time they reach me is a fairly common problem of mine.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you're in the minority of thinking all the gambling commercials are gross -- well, maybe, but that minority has a lot of people in it, including me. I find them appalling and ominous. All the sports, the NFL especially, are carrying a bundle of cash while walking a tight rope, just hoping their lawyers will catch them if something (and it will) goes wrong.

    I love Alan Page cards. I have since I was a kid. Need more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just seem very shady. And I know that it's legal in most states now, but I am of the opinion that it shouldn't be. Of course, as long as everyone keeps raking in the dough, I can't imagine things changing anytime soon.

      Delete
  5. Well I do collect Tebow (at least only in Pats uniform). So if those two cards are available I wouldn't mine trading for them. Also just the other day I picked up 3 different John Hannah cards from that McDonalds set. Pretty cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the 1962 Topps John Brodie card, the defensive player in the inset photo looks like a Chicago Bear to me. Bob Kilcullen wore number 74 for the Bears in 1961, so he would be my guess. It's hard to be sure, though, because some of the jersey numbers in the inset photos are doctored. Don Perkins's card, for example, shows J.D. Smith in the inset photo, with Smith's number changed from 24 to 42. (See https://www.footballcardgallery.com/card/62t/41/1962-topps-don-perkins/ .) Probably not surprisingly, Topps reused some of the 1962 inset photos 7 years later, on the covers of 1969 Topps Mini-Card albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for identifying the player. I never knew that some of the photos were monkeyed with, but I do think that you're right here.

      Delete
  7. If Fuji passes on the Alstott, send it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention Tebow is another guy I collect, but pretty sure I have both of those

      Delete
    2. I thought that you had completely stopped collecting all things football?

      Delete
  8. Brodie! An alumni guy for me so I pick up his cards when I come across them cheap. He's interesting in that he went pro as a golfer when he retired from the NFL.

    Also 100% agreement with the disgust about the gambling ads. Is especially tough for me as a parent since it means I have to really teach the kids about what everything means and how they need to be careful. The evilest thing though is that I've totally gotten betting site junk snail mail which includes discounts for your first bet or a voucher you can redeem for site credit which is totally "your first hit is free" drug dealer creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being a parent, I hadn't even thought of it from that perspective. But yeah, it's not like you didn't already have enough to try and protect them from.

      Delete
  9. A. I'm taking a break from listening to sports radio driving to and from work... because 90% of it involves the 49ers and the Super Bowl. Plus I have at least 10 students who are really big fans who discuss it on a daily basis. I've got zero interest in watching the game, but I'll be at my friend's house... so there's a chance it'll be on in the background.

    B. I've seen some YouTubers talk about the color-matching Prizm thing... but didn't realize it was a huge thing in the hobby. It makes sense though, because they are gorgeous.

    C. I can use the Alstott Starting Lineup card. Boomer Esiason is the only card I have from that set.

    D. When my parents moved to the Bay Area, they became 49er fans and Brodie was their QB at the time. He liked to reminisce about when he had season tickets... and they couldn't give their tickets away. Different times.

    E. If you ever take on that McDonald's challenge... good luck. I'm just trying to get all of the colors for the Packers and Seahawks... and it's been tough. Awesome cards though. I remember getting Raiders and 49ers cards when they were released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad that I'm no longer inclined to want to listen to sports radio; doubly so around this time of the year.

      I learned about it from Twitter back when I was still on there.

      Will do.

      Yeah, I don't think that there are any NFL tickets that you couldn't give away for free these days.

      It seems like it can be difficult to find certain colors, but I don't know if any particular color is actually rarer than the others.

      Delete