Sunday, September 24, 2017

Estate sale finds #2

After attending the single largest card show ever to be held in the state of Tennessee yesterday, I'm feeling a bit tuckered out . So with that in mind, I'm gonna go with the only finished post in my draft folder, which just happens to be another estate sale recap.

I have been getting some really great stuff from the sales lately, and while this particular sale didn't have much to offer (at least for me), I was still able to pick up a couple fun things.

I had never heard of the "Happy Crickets" before, but upon seeing this album cover, I knew I had to have it.

I figured this was going to some sort of inspired by/blatant rip-off, of Alvin and the Chipmunks, and as it turns out, I was right...

                
It appears that they only ever did the Christmas album, so I'm guessing it didn't go over to well. I can't imagine that I will be listening to it all that much, but it was still worth the $2 price tag.

If you read my previous estate sale post, then you already know of my affinity for Southwestern Bell's freedom phone's, and their AT&T clones (of which this is). This one happens to be in a color that I have never seen before. In person, it's kind of a brick red with some orange mixed in, and thankfully it came with it's original cord (not shown), which is the same color. It's amazing how much nostalgia induced joy that a $3 phone can bring.

And here we have another telephone from the 80's, which also happens to be one that I had never seen before. I'm not quite sure at to who the maker of this "Sound Design" is yet, as it's not marked anywhere, but I think it might be from Lennox.

How about a trio of micro-cassette recorders? From left to right there's a: Sony M-200MC ($5), Panasonic RN-302 ($3), and Olympus Pearlcorder S910 ($3). Since a decent profit can be made from the Sony and the Panasonic, I will most likely end up selling those two. I'll just keep the Olympus for my own personal use, it just needs a good cleaning.

Even though I really like the Sony, I suspect that I would just end up breaking it, were I too keep it. How/why would I break it, you ask? Well, I'll show you:

As you can see, it has an extending microphone, which is very fun to pop out. I find the sound it makes when you pop it out, to be quite enjoyable. It seems like it would only be a matter of time before it breaks, as I really (really) enjoy that noise it makes. Part of me wants to keep it too, simply because, when the mic is extended -- it reminds me of a Talkboy...

Image pilfered from eBay.
See the similarities? I sure hope at least one person reading this, actually remembers the Talkboy, especially since they were kind of popular for about five minutes after Home Alone 2 came out. I remember getting one on clearance, only to have it crap out in just a little over a year. And not surprisingly, it never quite worked as well as it did in the movie, go figure!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

2 comments:

  1. Listening to the Crickets took me back to my childhood. I drove my family crazy listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching Chipmunks cartoon (the one from the 80's) as a kid, but I don't think I was ever in to any of the musical recordings.

      Delete