Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Two years of existence

I knew it was getting close, but I didn't realize until I actually looked this morning that, as of today, this humble little creation of mine, is 2 years old.

I thought for sure that I was gonna lose interest in this whole "blogging" thing within the first month or two, but I'm certainly glad I stuck around though, as I have been extremely fortunate to have had contact with some really great people over these last couple of years.

I had a few hiccups this year, and came very close to stopping altogether, but I feel like I'm back on track now. In fact, it has really only been in the last month or so that I have finally started to enjoy the actual act of blogging itself, so with this new found appreciation for the whole process, I can see myself easily sticking around for at least a few more years to come.

And finally, I know I will never be a "writer" in any traditional sense of the word, so I really want to thank everyone who has ever taken the time to stop by and read any of my disjointed, grammatically flawed, and often rambling posts.

Originally this was going to be a pictureless post, but I know some folks don't particularly care for those, so here's three random cards that have been plucked from a folder of miscellany for everyone's viewing pleasure:
Hardly the most exciting card from the '71 Topps set, I know. But this particular Larry Gura isn't just any old Topps card...
... nope, as you can see, it's a blank back! And thanks to, probably the kid who originally pulled the card, future generations won't have to speculate as to what the card number is/was.

I absolutely love the design on the 1966 Topps football set, so much so, that I will probably try to work on it someday. Well, at least if I'm ever able to finish a couple of other vintage sets first. This Cotton Davidson, who was the MVP of the first AFL all-star game, was my first card from the set, and is to date... still my only card from the set.
Even the backs are cool, especially with that ginormous space left for the cartoons.

One of my favorite sets ever were these 1998-99 Skybox Molten Metal Xplosion parallels. In my mind, they are just as unique now as they were almost twenty years ago. A 150 card set printed on metal plates, the last 50 were, if I remember right, unintentionally short-printed due to production starting too late on them. Because of that, it makes for a very difficult set to complete. It also doesn't help that most of the bigger names happen to be located in those last 50 cards of the set, which has always made me wonder if the short-printing wasn't actually unintentional after all. Oh, and I apparently forgot to take picture of the back, so if anyone cares, Sir Charles here is #113.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching the two-year mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on two years of blogging! I enjoy reading your posts and I haven't noticed any grammar flaws (not that I'm an expert). Glad to hear you plan to keep at this blogging thing for the foreseeable future; I know there was a time earlier this year when I didn't think I'd come back to it, either. But here we are :)

    You picked three very interesting cards here. Each one with a neat story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! The real question is, if you did notice any, would you say anything? I suspect most people wouldn't, and you're certainly more knowledgeable than I, when it comes to grammar do's and don'ts. And I'm certainly glad that you decided to come back too, as I always enjoy reading both your blogs.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the two years. Always enjoy reading. There's not many blogs that feature vintage hoop. Love the variety

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on making it to the two-year mark; here's to several more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on two years, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your 2-year blogiversary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Here's to another two years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats Jon! i do read but dont always comment. wondering why we've not traded before. hope we can rectify this one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I'm always kind of hesitant when it comes to contacting anyone about trading, so that's probably one of the main reasons why we haven't exchanged anything yet. But yes, it would be nice to have this rectified some time soon.

      Delete