Friday, September 14, 2018

Cagers from a card show

After unintentionally dragging them out for the last two weeks, I am finally on the last of the haul from July's card show -- and for any of the "baseball or bust" readers, it's all basketball, so I won't be insulted if you go ahead and hit that back button.

I don't come across Star cards very often, so I always kind of feel like I have to buy 'em when I do... especially when they're found in a dime box.

Anybody notice what's wrong with this card? If your answer had something to do with the border being the wrong color, you'd be correct (for those who might not know, the border is supposed to be a brownish gold). This card stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb, and I still haven't figured out what's what yet.

My first thought was that it was a printing error, but if it is, I find it hard to believe that I've never seen another one like it -- and I've been around '90-91 Skybox for literally my whole life, or rather, the set's whole life. If it isn't an error, than I have no idea what it is (Google was of no use). If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be most curious to hear them.

These were the first phone cards that I had seen in person for quite a while.

Since my scanner decided to wash out all of the colors, I had to go back and redo the next couple of groups of 90's inserts with the trusty cell phone camera.

I seem to be having some pretty good luck with finding old Topps Draft Redemptions at the last couple of shows that I've attended.

At a quarter a piece, the 'Nique Super Star, and the Kemp Behind he Glass, were the only two cards in this post that didn't come from a dime box. Also, am I the only one who gets a kick out of seeing Otis Thorpe included in an insert set?

Not a huge MJ fan, but I couldn't pass these up -- and please ignore my bad crop job on the top of the photo.

One should not be able to find a 1994-95 UD Collector's Choice Gold Signature in a dime box, even if it is Benoit Benjamin.

You can never go wrong with 10-cent refractors!

Up until a couple of months ago I had been collecting all of the Prizm parallels from 2013-15, but due to multiple reasons that will take too long to explain here, I've decided to focus on just the guys that I like from each set -- not surprisingly, most of those players are of the retired variety.

I thought I already had a copy of the blue Hakeem from the 2013-14 set, which would've been fine because I'm collecting duplicates too, but it turned out that I didn't.

I found a little over 80 different Prizm parallels in the same dime box that I found the stack of 1980-81 Topps basketball from a couple of posts back.

Of those 80 or so parallels, I'm only keeping eight for myself. If I could ever figure out how to use the TCDB, I'd list the rest of them on there, along with all of the others that I had been collecting for the last couple of years.

This was my second orange Batum, as well as my second green Manu. It's hard to tell from the scan, but the Hakeem is a refractor Silver Prizm, it's also a card that I didn't already have one of.

And finally, some 2014-15 Donruss Swirlorama's. Even though I'm not particularly fond of any of these players, it's hard for me to not buy them when they're only 10 cents.

As far as future card show stuff goes, I think I'm going to stop doing my usual 4-5 post recap, and instead just do a two-post best of. These just take too long to get to, and they always tend to push everything else that I want to cover here on the blog to an already overcrowded back burner -- I also can't imagine that anybody actually likes seeing literally everything that was purchased, so...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. That's an awesome haul! I love seeing all the basketball cards I missed out on when I wasn't collecting - and refreshing my memory on those awesome 90s inserts. Otis Thorpe on an insert card is very cool, I remember chasing down Power In The Key cards back then..never had Otis, though.

    The Flair Hot Numbers Penny, Swen Nater Prizm, and Hakeems caught my eye here-as well as the off-color Admiral. Could it be that the borders were lighter because it was a test/promo set of some kind? Or an international version? (probably not, there would be bilingual text on the back)

    BTW, I got the care package you sent-thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like whatever era you stopped collecting will always produce new to you cards (mine is all things 2000-10).

      There are prototype 1990-91 cards, but they have a red banner on the front that says Prototype -- a test set is a possibility though.

      You're welcome :)

      Delete
  2. Dominique in a Celts unit never quite looked right. Loved Otis Thorpe dating back to his college days at Providence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, seeing him in a Celtics jersey looked weird at the time, and it still looks strange over twenty years later.

      Delete
  3. Shoot me your tcdb questions and I'll see if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be quite the dolt, because I literally can't figure out anything, so...

      Delete
  4. I'm planning to write up a detailed walkthrough on how to use the Database, but I haven't had time yet. It's going to take me several hours to create due to all the screenshots I'm planning to create for it. It will be similar to my walkthrough on how to get better scans and eliminate the washout all scanners have.

    My first thought on the Robinson was that it was sunfaded...that's how the borders look when they are left in the sun...but the image of him and the team logo do not appear to be faded. I'm not sure on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll have to wait until your post, because I am completely lost.

      There's definitely no signs of fading. It probably was a printing error, but I wish I could find out for sure.

      Delete
  5. I'm super curious about that Robinson. I don't collect basketball anymore, but I busted a ton of 90/91 Skybox basketbal back in the dayl and have never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what it's deal is, but I'm thinking that there probably never will be a definitive answer... just guesses and conjecture.

      Delete
  6. Love seeing the San Diego clippers in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I always enjoy being able to get cards featuring the San Diego Clippers!

      Delete
    2. It’s nicr to see some sem old basketball love. A it of cool cards! Nice job! I know that 89 Hoops had a yellow border boxe set parallel to the regular issue. Maybe Skybox had something similar?

      Delete
    3. If you have an appreciation for older basketball cards, than you might be glad to hear that I already have a few more similar posts in the works. And your talking about the Hoops Superstars Sears sets (with the yellow borders), I thought about the possibility of the Robinson being part of something like that too, but if it is, then it's from some sort of Skybox set that I've never seen or heard of.

      Delete