Tuesday, September 11, 2018

In case you haven't heard, football's back!

This second to last recap from July's card show haul was delayed by a couple of days, the reason... sheer laziness!

It was supposed to be finished on Saturday, but I started reading a new book -- a book that I found to be quite engrossing -- so other than doing about five hours of work outside, I spent the entire weekend reading... which was really nice. So nice in fact, that I think I'm going to try and replicate the experience this upcoming weekend as well.

As exciting as hearing about me reading a book must be, I do have some cards to show off, so without anymore dilly-dallying, here's a rare all football edition for your viewing pleasure:

I was pretty excited to find my first card (Dan Fouts) from this All Time Great Quarterbacks set at the show in June, and then at the July show...

... I ended up finding eight more!

I didn't show the back of the Fouts last time, so here's a back for anyone who might care about such things.

Considering they're are just base cards, these Pacific Prism's have all kinds of shine. Not rare by any stretch of the imagination, but still, I never see these at shows -- in fact, before finding this quartet, I only owned one card from the set -- so this really was quite the treat!

Anybody familiar with 1994 Pro Tags? I certainly wasn't! I found all of these in a new seller's quarter boxes, and I couldn't resist taking them home with me. At first I just thought that they were some sort of novelty item, but upon further research, I saw that while they are a bit of a novelty item, they were part of an actual set that came in regular boxes -- with packs and everything. Their were even randomly inserted autographs in said packs, the signatures were on the back of the cards, ala Pro Line.

From the same seller that I got the Pro Tags, came another first, in the form of a Joe Montana card that was apparently given away as a freebie by Mervyn's back in 1995. By the time this card was released in 1995, Joe Montana was in his second season with Kansas City, so I thought it was kind of interesting to see that Mervyn's chose to use a photo of Joe from his San Francisco days (as evidenced by his wearing #16).

The back of this card is kind of funny too, what with it's mention of being limited, I mean mine's #233,684, so just how limited is it? Also, you can't get too much more 90's than to refer to something with such a high print run as a "prized collectible".

Here's some randomness from the dime boxes, two shiny, and two not so shiny.

And some 25 cent box randomness, all being of the shiny variety!

Normally I'm able to bring out more of the Archives Reserve rainbow via a cellular phone camera, but I failed pretty hard this time, since people these days always like to shift the blame, I will too... the sun really dropped (fumbled) the ball on this one! Bad photo aside, these are two very cool cards featuring two really great players.

With the football done, there's just the obligatory basketball post left, which will of course be comprised of mostly inserts from the 90's -- so if that's you're thing, I guess you know where you need to be in a few days.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. So much to say about these cards. First, I've never even heard of that QBs set, but it looks awesome! Second, the way to make that Montana more 90s is to add some shiny to it, like those Pacific Prisms. And last, these are some great cards, but that Fault Prizm caught my eye immediately. I have a few of those Red, White, and Blue Prizms, but none look as good as that one. I'm not even sure what it is about it, but it pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The QB's set is pretty neat, I just don't know how it is that I was able to go so long without knowing about it.

      You're completely right about the Montana.

      The pop is what drew me to the card, I think it might be because the pants match the blue, the jersey matches the white, but the helmet contrasts the red... which really makes it stand out more.

      Delete
  2. I don’t have that Strahan! Loved the leather cards as well. We don’t get good stuff like that today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one can't even imagine a company doing a leather card these days, of course if they did, I don't think it would go over too well with modern collectors.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! My mom and I were just talking about Mervyn's the other day. She asked me when was the last time I bought jeans and I told her it's been awhile since I'm pretty sure it was from Mervyn's. Never seen that Montana, but I've stumbled across those Pro Tags before at local card shows and flea markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that would mean that you haven't bought any jeans in like twenty years! It's been about fifteen for me, and since I don't find jeans to be all that comfortable -- I can't imagine that I'd ever buy another pair again.

      Delete
  4. Like that QB set that lead off the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really neat set, I just wish I knew why it was produced in the UK, what with them not being particularly interested in American football and all.

      Delete
  5. Want some more of those '83 stickers like Joe T?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would, but I don't have anything else for you right now, so you'd have to set them aside until I do.

      Delete