Thursday, September 6, 2018

Newer cards from an old card show

In the last post you saw some vintage baseball from the card show back in July, this time the focus will be on some slightly more modern (1990-present) baseball cards -- most of which were plucked from dime boxes.

It seems like I've been seeing a lot more Broder's at the last couple of shows, most of which I have been passing on, but this one was different... it was a Bo Broder (say that five times fast)! For a dime I just couldn't resist, it's a cool image, and I really do just like the overall presentation of the card.

For a while now I've been picking up any and all of these Red Hot Foil's that I find for 25 cents or less, but I recently decided to stop doing that, and just buy the one's that I like. This decision wasn't made until after the show, of these three, I'm only keeping the Gutierrez, so the other two are available if anyone's interested.

And out of these two, I'm only keeping the Helton. I didn't notice until I loaded the pictures into the post that the scanner didn't crop some of these properly, I wasn't in the mood to go back and fix them, so you'll just have to live with it.

What I said about the red's applies to these Emerald Green's as well, from this group I'm only keeping the Perez.

Some of you might find this hard to believe, but this was my first card of both Jose Altuve and Paul Goldschmidt, I guess that's what happens when you don't buy very much of the new stuff.

Maybe someone out there who's more in the know can a question for me, that being, is Tyler Austin still supposed to be somebody that I should be paying attention to? Or did his recent trade kill all of the hype?

Came across a few Ichiro's. The one in the middle is a die-cut, which are always fun to find. The 2012 Topps Chrome refractor is my second in as many shows -- I'm not confirming it, nor denying it, but I may have bought eight more of that particular card during COMC's recent summer sale.

Found some neat Junior's too, all of which were a quarter apiece.

And one more of The Kid, I think monetarily speaking, this one was the best of the bunch.

I'm not working on the Lineage refractors anymore either, the Britton is available if anyone wants it.

Some miscellaneous sparkle...

... and some miscellaneous shiny.
The dealer that I got these from had like five copies of this 2000 Pacific Invincible Ripken insert, in retrospect I really should have bought them all :(

Here's two guys that I don't usually find inserts of.

Neither of these guys do anything for me, but I like the lenticularness of the Harper, and the shiny, sort of refractorness, of the Frazier -- so I bought 'em.

Just some odds and ends here. I really do like the Negative's, even if it is a bit gimmicky. I already have one of the serial numbered blue Greats of McCovey, but it doesn't hurt to have another one. And the Gehrig is just a card that I've wanted for a couple of years now, it's not very often that I care about a modern base card, but this card isn't/wasn't your average run of the mill base card.

And finally, what had to be one of my better deals of the day, getting the famous 1990 CMC AAA Tino Martinez on Edgar Martinez's card for just a dime. This is another card that I've long wanted, but wasn't willing to shell out the $5-10 that it usually goes for... can't complain about finding one for a dime though!

That's it for the baseball portion of the bounty, next time the focus will shift to football.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

18 comments:

  1. There's just so much green on that Emerald Jed Lowrie it makes the yellow pop even more. It's a good thing that yellow was designed to go with green in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely right about the poppiness of the yellow, it seems to bring out the emerald even more as well.

      Delete
  2. I like how the price for the Bo Jackson at the top of the post is on the card. A question.... If you were to find a PSA 10 of Griffey would it be considered a Junior Mint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the price right there on the card keeps the dealers honest! Junior Mint?... I see what you did there :)

      Delete
  3. I swear I need to hop a plane and go to these shows with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't mind the company, but it might be cheaper for you to drive.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There usually is when I recap the modern card purchases from a show.

      Delete
  5. I probably own more Broder oddballs of Bo than any other single player in my collection, but I don't (yet) have that one you found. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See and I think that this is only the second Bo Broder that I've ever seen (and bought).

      Delete
  6. Great stuff. Never knew about that Tino/Edgar card. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for that card now. As for Broders, I'll pick up ones I don't have all day/any day if I stumble across them in dime boxes. They might not have a lot of value, but they're a part of my collecting history. I can still picture dealers having 50ct. boxes filled with the same Broder lined up on their tables. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you know of it, I'm sure you'll find a reasonably priced copy in no time at all. That must've been quite a sight to see boxes full of the same card, I never saw that myself, the closest I've come to such a thing is when I'm searching on eBay and I come across a seller who has lots of 25-50 of the same Broder... but I'm sure that's no where near as impressive as seeing them all in person.

      Delete
    2. It didn't stop at Broders. Back in the late 80's and early (to mid) 90's, dealers had huge lots of rookie cards and star cards as well.

      Delete
    3. That is interesting, I would imagine that because of there being a lot less products out there at the time, that it would've been easier for dealers to have so many of the same cards. I started going to card shows in the mid 90's, and I know I never saw anything like that.

      Delete
  7. I am not really big into the colored parallels, but I love those emerald green Topps cards. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider them to be the best looking Topps baseball parallel of the 2000's.

      Delete
  8. dang, what great stuff! by far the best however, is your use of 'lenticularness'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so long since I did this one that I actually had to scroll up and see if I did in fact use such a word, apparently I did :)

      Delete