Friday, April 5, 2019

COMC Shuffle #5

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1955 Red Man Tobacco All-Star Series #14
My first Red Man! It's a little rough, but it does still have the tab, plus it was really cheap (under $2). Solid player too. Having never seen one of these in person before, I was a bit surprised at how big they are. I always thought that they were Play Ball sized, nope, they are considerably larger.

2014 Topps Red Hot Foil #580 (x3)
It's a red out! I'm gonna go on record and say that this might be the best looking individual parallel of the 2010's. Am I wrong about this? If so, Prove me wrong.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red, White, and Blue Wave Prizms #22
I've said it many (many) times before, but there will never be another player like Tim Duncan! Countdown to the hall of fame in...

1994 Pacific Crown Collection Knights of the Gridiron #3
Drew Bledsoe used to receive a lot of hobby love, now he gets next to none, (cue Fred Willard) Wha' Happened?

2013 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #LP
Laffit Pincay is one of the signers who has an autograph in both the 2013 and 2014 sets, which I now have both of. I know nothing of horse racing, but with a signature as nice as this, I have no problem with him being in two out of the three Golden Age sets.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red, White, and Blue Mosaic Prizms #230
This was my sixth R,W, &B Dave DeBusschere. I really want a full page (or more) of this card!
1973 Kellogg's #54
This is yet another purchase that I can blame on Chris' bad influence! Sorry for the lousy picture, I have a lot to learn when it comes to taking photos of graded cards. After buying this card last year, I, just for a split second mind you, had the brief notion that I would try to collect the entire set in PSA 9 form... thankfully that idea didn't stick around for too long.

1909-11 T206
I got my first three T206's last year, all from the same seller, and all within a couple of days of each other. Condition wise, Danny Moeller here would probably receive the lowest grade, he's obviously got a bit of a crease, but the colors are still really crisp.

There isn't a great deal of info on the interwebz about Danny Moeller. He spent the part of seven seasons in the bigs, playing for Pittsburgh, Washington, and Cleveland. In 1912, while in his first season with Washington, he finished 21st in the AL MVP voting -- and in 1913 (still with the Senators), he racked up 62 stolen bases, which were second in the majors only to teammate Clyde Milan's 75.

Obligatory shot of the back.

1998-99 Upper Deck Ionix Reciprocal #R55
The '98-99 Reciprocal's is are one of my favorite 90's basketball parallels, easily in the top ten, maybe even in the top five... I might have to do a personal top ten 90's basketball parallels list one of these days (that'll really bring in the views)?

1971-72 Topps #172
Although drafted by the Detroit Pistons in 1967, Ron decided to instead join the newly created ABA, playing for five teams during his six seasons. In 1975, he traveled to Europe to play in the European Professional Basketball League, a league that only lasted for one season.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed another week's worth of picks. The shuffle button will now get a much deserved week off, after all... being asked to choose ten random cards isn't as easy as it sounds :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

18 comments:

  1. Love the Red Man cards. Getting a great deal on one that still has it's tab is excellent. I only have 4 or 5 Red Man cards all but one have their tab. That one was part of a small lot of cards I had gotten from a Sportlots auction. From my blog post about it the main cards from the lot were some 1970 Kellog's Football cards I wanted. My Red Man goal is to get all the Washington Senators from those sets to have the complete team sets, preferably with tabs. The minimal goal is to have a complete Senators team set from each Red Man set, eventually have the full team sets with tab (even if there are some tabless douplicates) and ulitimately the complete team sets with and without the tabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off the top of my head I can't think of anybody from the Senators in '54 or '55 who's cards would carry any sort of premium, so this is one goal that you should definitely be able to complete at some point.

      Delete
  2. The Erskine is great, as is the Santo, but the T206 sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If interested, I will have two more T206's showing up some time later in this series.

      Delete
  3. Love the Redman. Great seal. That’s a beauty of a Santo Card. . 71-72 Topps basketball love that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you'd go for the '71-72 basketball.

      Delete
  4. I went on a little Red Man shopping spree last year. One of my all-time favorite oddball issues... but storage is sort of an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can refrain from such a spree... sounds expensive!

      Delete
  5. Soo much Red! The Erskine and Moeller are fantastic, and I like that Frazier card, bought a base single for myself mostly for the photo (it has a dinged corner though :/) Drew Bledsoe was a big deal back in the day, wasn't he? Growing up in New England I saw firsthand how much hobby buzz he had, from the time he was drafted to their Super Bowl (losing!) season.

    I know I'm one of the few who like and collect graded singles but I'm sure everyone reading this can appreciate that Santo Kellog's card.


    Also, Florida Floridians...lol. That will always sound funny to me. (Well, maybe not if they'd lasted a few decades like the Philadelphia Phillies..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Bledsoe very popular at one time, and I was even New England. Like I said, I don't really know why he's no longer collected. The only thing that I can think of, is that it might have something to do with the rise of Tom Brady?

      I don't know of any Ron Santo haters amongst the bloggers, so you're probably right.

      I know that they've been around for a bit now, but the Philadelphia Phillies has always sounded silly to me.

      Delete
  6. I'm so in on the red parallel. I like him as a player and that looks too cool. Nice Duncan pick up as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems like good people, so it's nice that he was able to get such a cool card!

      Delete
  7. Love the red parallels and the T206!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought that you'd be all over the Bledsoe and T-Mac!

      Delete
  8. That Frazier is great. Reminds me of when I wrote a football columnist who made crazy nicknames for every team. He called the Seahawks the Blue Man Group. I said it would be wild if they played in the Boise State Stadium (with the blue field) - you couldn't see them!
    Cincy could play in Eastern Washington State's red field and disappear the same way. Would look just like that card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting concept, and one that I would have never thought of on my own :)

      Delete
  9. Red foils are neato but seriously hot when paired with the red uniforms! Frazier looks cool and so close to invisible on this card. I like the way his pants appear to float.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I now might start referring to this card as the floaty pants parallel :)

      Delete