Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Tales from the Thrift Store vol. 11

This past Saturday was the monthly 50% off everything sale at Goodwill, and even though I wasn't really feeling it on this particular day, I went ahead and made the trip anyway.

I found a whole four things of interest, probably not enough to warrant a post, but I need a break from the card posts, so here's my four exciting finds for your viewing pleasure:


Back when I was around nine or ten years old, I remember hearing dudes going on and on about their infatuation with Sean Young. These were guys that were usually 10-15 years older than me, and not only would I hear it from guys that lived around me, I 'd hear about from guys on the radio too. I hadn't yet seen things like Blade runner or Dune, so I never really understood what all the fuss over her was about, and honestly, even after I saw her in a couple of things... I still didn't get it?

I mean don't get me wrong, she didn't need to go around wearing a paper bag over her head or anything, but if all of these crushes were based solely on looks alone, I didn't see it. There were certainly many more physically attractive actresses around during her prime years, most of whom, dare I say, were far better actresses too. I guess this can be chalked up to that old saying "to each his own".

As for this film, I had never even heard of it, sounded interesting though, and as usual, for a quarter I don't mind taking the chance.


I just finished watching the first season of Stargate Universe, which wasn't too bad, I think I like the first half of the season more than the second half, but overall it was still pretty enjoyable -- now I just need to find a cheap copy of the second season on DVD. Even though the show is done, I'm still feeling a bit Stargatey, so I might as well go back to the beginning. This movie used to be on television all the time, but it's been about a decade since the last time I watched it, and now that I'm thinking about the movie, it's a bit of a mystery as to why I haven't bought it before now?


I just recently mentioned how much I enjoy television movies from the 70's and 80's, so finding another one - which is still sealed - that I haven't seen before was a nice surprise. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that this was supposed to be a pilot as well, one that never got picked up by any of the networks.


I seem to be having some decent luck in finding Xbox and PS2 games during the last couple of sales, and here's another one! I don't care enough to look it up, but I'm fairly certain that this MGS2 Substance is some sort of expansion edition, what with all of the talk about extra missions and such. I never played the Substance-free MGS2, so I don't how much better this one will be over the original.

This was one of those times when I'm not entirely sure that the trip was worth it:

Leave at 7:45 on a Saturday morning.
35 minutes to get there.
More people than usual at the store (how was that even possible?), many of whom were quite rude.
10 minutes of actual shopping.
4 items found
15 minutes spent in line.
$4 spent.
And 35 minutes to get back home.

So, was it worth it...?


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. Bummer that it wasn't more of a rewarding trip for you.

    Gotta say I watched Stripes a couple weeks ago, and wow, Sean Young is gorgeous in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably just isn't my type, because I just never got it, Stripes included.

      Delete
  2. Anytime I can find original Xbox games in the wild (for cheap) I would call it a win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely different than what I've been buying at thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but you have a plan! I actually tried to look for some of the stuff we were talking about, there was just too many people though... maybe next time?

      Delete
  4. I think if I were to factor in the time, 85% of my trips to the flea market would be considered busts. Lol... so I just focus on the goodies I pick up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I should be trying to think positive, but it's not always as easy as it sounds.

      Delete
  5. The post entertained me so it is much appreciated! Too bad you couldn’t find more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the original Stargate when it was in theaters but I dont think I watched it again, and I didn't see any of the TV series. Not sure why. Maybe I should watch it again.. if I can find my VHS copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stargate Universe was the first of the series' that I have watched, it's the only one that has ever looked good to me... of course being able to get the first season on Blu-ray for $4 didn't hurt either.

      Delete
  7. Platinum Medallions are so cool. I bought a box of Ultra that year as a kid and was upset I didn't pull one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one post early with this comment, but that's okay, since I did know where it was supposed to be left. Getting a box of that year's Ultra would have been pretty cool. I don't know what the odds were, but it's not surprising to hear that you didn't get a Platinum, as they had to of been seeded at something like one in every couple of boxes (at best).

      Delete
  8. Looks like some solid pickups!

    ReplyDelete