Monday, April 15, 2019

One Random Pack: 2018-19 Panini Donruss Optic rack pack

My mom just recently gifted me with this pack of Optic, which, don't get me wrong, was very nice of her, and thought behind it is certainly appreciated -- but in all honesty, this is a product that I don't really care about, and would've never bought any of for myself.

Again, I'm always grateful to someone when they give me something, but this is one of those instances where the money could have been saved, and even though I of course said thank you and all of that, I did try to gently get across the fact that this isn't something that was made with someone like me in mind, and that the money could've been better spent elsewhere.

I thought about asking her to take it back, but as a card collector you know how it goes, the old "what if there is actually something good in there?" thoughts got the better of me, so now I'm here today to see if there was actually anything good in there!

Seems to be the usual configuration here, three packs of four cards, and the bonus three card Blue Velocity pack. I thought it was kind of interesting to see that the BV pack is somewhat translucent, enough so that you can see who's on the front, and which rookie is in the back.

Pack #1
Not a good start!

Jeremy Lin: How is he still around? I hope that team's aren't still banking on the ten good games that he had 7 or 8 years ago. Plus there's the whole "always injured" thing.

Ben Simmons Express Lane insert: I've heard a lot about him, but I haven't ever seen him play. Supposedly he's put up some decent numbers during his first couple of seasons, but that doesn't do much for me, a lot of guys have done that, call me after he's consistently put up those same numbers for over a decade, and then we'll talk.

Spencer Dinwiddie: I know of him only from the two years of fantasy basketball that I tried, that's it.

Collin Sexton: No clue, but playing in Cleveland certainly doesn't bode well for him.

Keepers: None.

Pack #2
Better than the first pack.

Pau Gasol: Future HOFer. His parents should also be in a hall of fame somewhere for all of the good work that they've done over the years.

Kris Dunn: Interesting image on his card, sort of 90's-esque.

Marvin Bagley III: I remember hearing some hype about him a couple of years ago, but haven't read or heard anything else since.

Paul George Lock It Up insert: I'm starting to think that there's an insert in every pack, if so, it kind of devalues the specialness of getting an insert.

Keepers: Pau.

Pack #3
Looks like the second pack was the best.

Nikola Jokic: Another guy that's wowed those who tend to be easily impressed over his first couple of seasons, I'm a little more difficult to please.

Lauri Markkanen Franchise Futures insert: Yep, there's an insert in every pack, and apparently they all kind of look the same.

D'Angelo Russell: Tell me that he's not glad to be out of L.A.!

Kostas Antetokounmpo: Obviously he's one of Giannis' brothers, other than that I don't anything about him. Wasn't there another brother who already came and went from the NBA? I would have to imagine that all of these teams who are drafting Giannis' brothers are hoping that they turn out to be like him, and I suspect that none of them will.

Keepers: Giannis' brother, at least for a year or two... just in case!

Blue Velocity pack
These are really pretty cards, much more attractive than I thought they'd be.

Mikal Bridges: ???????

JJ Redick: He's stuck around a lot longer than I think most people thought he would.

Kevin Durant: Kevin looks like he's standing on the court and just reaching up to place the ball in the basket.

Keepers: Mikal (just in case he does something of note) and KD (I only have like three cards of his).

Overall, I'm not too impressed with the base cards, or the one per pack inserts. I'm not overly crazy about getting a rookie in each pack either, but I know that that's done for the modern collector/flipper... not for an old guy like me.

As usual, if anyone sees anything that they think they can't live without, don't be shy about saying so.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see Lin is still playing in the league. The KD is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be time for him to take a powder, there's probably plenty of more talented guys waiting for his spot in the league, guys that'll be able to play more than 5 games in a row without getting injured.

      Delete
  2. Not the greatest break but I do like the blue parallels. So hard to capture them if you haven't seen them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd tell you how good Dinwiddie is as long as it doesn't diminish my chances of finding that card in my mailbox 😁 he's worked hard to become a good player. Great personality off court too. Probably my favorite current Net.

    Jokic is the real deal. The Nuggets went from out of the playoffs last year to challenging the "unbeatable" Warriors for the #1 spot in the west. Almost solely because of his play. Think of him like Dirk but bulkier.

    Simmons is good but can't shoot. If he can ever develop a jump shot, he is perennial mvp candidate skill level. He has all the rest already. Holds several records already and is only in his second season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the information is appreciated, but it's still going to take a few more years of solid play before I'm willing to praise guys like Jokic and Simmons.

      Obviously the Spencer yours if you want it, and since there doesn't seem to be any interest in the rest of the cards, you could have all of those if you want them too?

      Delete
    2. Naturally, yes! I don't expect to open any of these actually.

      Delete
    3. Alright, I have a few stacks of stuff that I've been putting off going through, some of said stacks will undoubtedly be of interest to you, so if I can will myself to look through them I might (with these cards) have enough to warrant the sending of a bubble mailer.

      Delete
  4. I'm from Chicago. Markkanen does seem to have a lot of upside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Hackenbush! I haven't seen your name show up in the comments section for a while, hopefully all is well :)

      Delete
  5. I don't care for basketball but those electric blue velocities are sharp! I have a weakness for shiny blue baseball dime box cards. They come home with me every time.

    ReplyDelete