Wednesday, June 26, 2019

COMC Shuffle #16

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard.

1951 Bowman #173
Hank played five seasons in the bigs, all with the Browns. Making his debut in 1948, Hank started off like a house afire, belting a triple and a home run in his debut against the Yankees. He had an average of .400 through his first 19 games, but it was pretty much all downhill after that, by 1952, his last season, he only managed to hit an anemic .143, playing 15 games before his contract was sold to the minors. The minor league team that he was sold to? None other than the Portland Beavers, which is why I was interested in this card. Hank spent his last three seasons of professional baseball in Portland, where over the course of 349 games he would bat .259, racking up 288 hits, 138 RBIs, and 29 HRs.

2014 Panini Prizm Orange Prizms #12 (x2) 
These would've looked a lot better if Panini had made a yellow Prizm parallel, but the orange is still pretty sharp, sharp enough in fact that I wouldn't mind getting a page's worth of these at some point.

1968 Topps #415
One for the "Telstar 4" collection. This might be my favorite card from that collection so far, if only because of that batting glove! Those old school trucker gloves make it look like you're ready for a fight, meanwhile todays gloves look like you're just checking to see how thorough the maid was with her dusting.

1997-98 Topps Rock Stars #RS4
One of the top five basketball insert sets from the 90's? Definitely!

1970 Topps #375
Apparently the randomizer was really feeling the Johnny Callison this week! It's funny, before I started reading the blogs, I never paid any attention to hatless cards, they just weren't a thing for me. Now five years later, I , thanks to the blogs, don't really care too much for the hatless pics. They're just too generic, I mean if you take this card for example, I could be looking at anybody, from any walk of life, is this a card of a soccer player? An actor? Who knows?

1963 Topps #144
I don't remember when it was exactly, but sometime in the not too distant past, my dude, Oscar, showed this card in one of his card show recap videos, which made me realize that I didn't have one, and that I wanted one... so I bought one! I seem to have a bit of a Roger Maris collection going, I didn't even know that I did until just recently when I started going through, and pulling keepers, from all of my abandoned vintage set builds.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Red, White, and Blue Pulsar Prizms #205
There are few things more American than a seven-foot tall hippie!

2014-15 Panini Prizm Green Prizms #206
One of my favorite player/color combinations from the 2014 set. If someone at Panini ever sees this post, do everyone (i.e. me) a favor, and add Paul Silas to more of your products, thank you!

1966 Topps #110
Last years Spring sale started five days before one of the twice a year Nashville mega card shows, as such, I found myself up at o-dark-hundred on the morning of the show with a few extra minutes to spare, so why not go peruse COMC for the thousandth time that week? Most of the stuff was of course at the same prices that it had been all week, but while doing a random search for Ernie Banks, I found this card, and it was from a seller that had just upped their percentage off sometime within the previous couple of hours. Most of this sellers offerings were of the vintage variety, and I think I bought a few other things, but Mr. Cub is the only one that I can remember at the moment. The corners aren't mint, but I still thought that the price tag of just little over $3 was a good one. This card will also probably always hold a personal record for the earliest (around 4am) in the day that I've ever gotten a card.

2013 Panini Father's Day Progressions - Black #17
This is the Lillard that I mentioned in my Progressions post awhile back. For those that didn't see it, or don't want to go back and reread it, the short version is that I got the magenta at a show last year for a quarter, and then later that night bought this black on COMC for $0.99. So I completed half the rainbow in one day, and after a year and some change, I still only have half of the rainbow. There's a yellow on COMC right now, but it's priced higher than I want to pay, and the seller apparently doesn't realize that I'm seemingly the only person who collects these!

Last week's mix wasn't much of a mix what with all of the Prizm parallels, but the shuffler seems to have done a little better this week, more variety that hopefully will have appealed to a wider audience.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

8 comments:

  1. Callison does look like an actor on his '70 card. And I couldn't find Maris on that WS card at first-because I made the mistake of assuming he was at bat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that was intentional on the part of Topps, but a lot of people do seem to make that mistake when looking at the card.

      Delete
  2. Best thing about Arft is his nickname: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Arft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that. In later years, he was also the co-owned a funeral home, which is kind of interesting, but in a post like this there's only so much space to mention such things.

      Delete
  3. A little over $3 for that Banks is a sweet bargain! There are definitely some hidden vintage treasures to be found on COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nearly as many as there used to be, but if one is willing to spend some time searching, deals can occasionally still be found.

      Delete