Friday, August 9, 2019

COMC Shuffle #22

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard.

1933 Goudey #62

I couldn't find it for this post, but I'm pretty sure that I read a book about the '31 World Series when I was young, although it doesn't appear that ever was such a book, so maybe it was an article in Reader's Digest or something, and I'm just completely misremembering it? Oh well, the point is though that because of his heroics in that particular series, Pepper Martin was featured quite prominently in whatever it is that I was reading. Because of this past association with his name, it kind of felt like a big deal being able to get this card. Also, full disclosure, I was under the false impression that he was a HOFer, I was wrong -- he did win a pair of championships, was a multiple time All-Star, and led the N.L. in steals a couple of times... but he's not in the HOF!

2012 Topps Update Series Golden Moments #US272
I will never get used to seeing Ichiro with anybody other than Seattle.

1933 Goudey #115

Normally I try to avoid paper loss, but in this instance it didn't obscure too much of the back, so it didn't prevent me from picking it up, well that, and it was under $5!?!?

It's kind of amazing how many guys in this set had played their last game in '32, but were still included when it was released the following year. There isn't a lot of interesting information out there about Cliff, but this little factoid from Wikipedia seemed worth mentioning:

"On May 30, 1922, the Cardinals were playing a Memorial Day doubleheader at Cubs Park. Between games, Heathcote was traded for Max Flack. Both men appeared in both games that day".

He also passed away fairly young, age 40... pulmonary embolism :(

1997 Score Board NFL Experience World Champions #WC3
This card is much shinier in person. These were new to me, kind of an interesting concept, off of the top of my head I can't recall another insert set quite like this.

1972-73 Topps #243
"McGinnis blocks Johnny Baum's jumper".

1964 Topps #95
One for the "Telstar four" collection.

2013 Panini Black Friday Panini Collection Progressions - yellow #12
The yellow Progressions tend to be a little difficult to see when viewing online, so I've "borrowed" an image of the base card from COMC to help give some context.

1974 Topps #130
I mentioned a few months ago that I bought a small port last year (for those that don't know, a port iseither part or all of, a sellers inventory) I kept a handful of cards for myself, O.J. being one of those, and sold the rest (which is the point of buying a port). I ended up making a small profit, and getting a couple of neat cards out of it, so I guess I can say that I was successful in my endeavor -- but don't be expecting to hear about any more future port purchases from me, as it was a little too much work for my liking.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Blue and Green Mosaic Prizms #157
For someone who has ten rings (second most for a player), you sure don't ever hear much about Sam Jones. Often overshadowed by Bill Russell's greatness, Sam was an integral part of the Celtics dynasty, even leading the team in scoring during three of their championship seasons.

2015-16 Panini Prizm Ruby Wave Prizm #274
It was just a couple of weeks ago that I had the light blue version of this card in a Shuffle post. In that post I said that this card looks good in all colors, but the light blue and red versions are the two most attractive of the bunch (IMO). I'm starting to lean towards red being the better of the two, but I'd be curious to know what everyone else thinks:

After looking at the blue again, I'm sort of leaning back that way, but I don't know... what say you?


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

9 comments:

  1. I think I like the red Dawkins, but I'm only looking at scans.

    I feel like I knew this before, but what is your "Telstar Four" collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny Callison, Calvin Koonce, Tony Taylor, and George Altman are the four players that are shown during the brief Cubs/Phillies look-in that was part of the very first public transatlantic broadcast by the Telstar satellite in 1962.

      If you're interested in reading more about it: https://www.history.com/news/the-birth-of-satellite-tv-50-years-ago

      And if you're interested in seeing that first broadcast (the game clip starts about nineteen minutes in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IX7vC4Ts_A&t=1258s

      Delete
  2. I've grown used to seeing Ichiro in a Marlins uniform, but it's never quite registered that he was a member of the New York Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are weird to me, very unnatural if I might say so as well!

      Delete
  3. That same Pepper Martin has been a cornerstone of my collection for a long time now. It was the first "really old" (basically pre-Topps) card I owned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pretty good first "really old" card to get... and just think how far you've come since then!

      Delete
  4. Digging that Steve YOung big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am absolutely shocked to hear this!!!! :)

      Delete
  5. good goudey! mister, you are rocking these cards.

    ReplyDelete