Thursday, November 2, 2023

#30

I have had zero luck this year in adding any more copies to my "hoard" of 1961 Topps Billy Muffett's. Online prices have gotten silly, I don't do shows anymore, and my attempts to trade for any via the TCDB have all been met with silence. Once those avenues have been eliminated, there aren't a whole lot of other options available. Cue the email from, Greg, everyone's favorite Borgophile (if that hasn't already been trademarked, I'm doing so now) over at The Collective Mind, who let me know that he found one of my coveted Billy Muffett's at a recent show. 

I'm not the sort that people usually go out of their way to find things for at shows, so that, combined with my having been shut out on any new additions thus far in 2023, makes this a greatly appreciated mailing. That being said, if someone was gonna find a copy at a show for me, Greg was probably gonna be the one to do so. Finding things on other people's want lists is kind of his thing.

I hadn't had any reason to get into the binder that this "hoard" is in as of late, so had anyone asked me prior to yesterday how many I had, I wouldn't have been able to tell them. Turns out that this was #30. That might not sound like a lot to some, but I think thirty copies of a card from 1961 is pretty impressive. 

Greg, being Greg, also sent along another fella to keep Billy company...

I didn't have time yet to look and see if I needed this card, but it doesn't look overly familiar. I feel like I'd remember an instance of Reggie defying gravity. And if I do somehow already have one, it's certainly not a bad card to have two copies of. I suspect that at some point down the road my Reggie collection is gonna have a few pages that are just dedicated to multiple copies of certain cards.

Thanks again to Greg for taking the time to find one, or possibly two, of my wants. They're greatly appreciated!

10 comments:

  1. I still need to get me one of those. I see it so often I think I have it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better hurry up, there's only like 947,000 left out there :)

      Delete
  2. There's a dealer on Beckett Marketplace that has a bunch. They're probably more than you want to spend though.

    (Burbank Sportscards)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. Also, I'm morally opposed to buying from Burbank, so...

      Delete
  3. Heading to a show in a couple weeks, so I'll keep an eye out for Muffett #31!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't meant to be one of THOSE posts, but if you happen to see any on the cheap, I'm sure I can find something to send in return.

      Delete
  4. I've always got an eye on that one, I think at least a couple of the 30 came from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that at least two came from you, as they were the last two that I had gotten prior to this one.

      Delete
  5. 30 copies of any vintage card is very impressive, and you sure picked a nice one to hoard!

    I'm surprised there are base Roby cards you still need. If you get around to checking your wantlist I will see if I can find one or two for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's couple others I'd love to get this many copies of, but at this point I'd just be content to get a page's worth.

      There's still quite a few I need, including some upgrades. I think were TCDB friends, so you could probably find my list pretty quickly.

      Delete