Thursday, November 30, 2023

My first BAG

I removed all of my TCDB trade bait sometime around the beginning of January (and then gave away most of the newer stuff in a series of free stuff posts a few months later), so I was temporarily perplexed by an email I received a few weeks ago saying that someone had proposed a trade transaction. And of course those emails don't tell you what's what; you have to go login to the site to get the skinny.

Turns out that said proposed transaction came from our very own, Tom, he of the resurgent, The Angels, In Order. And what's more, it wasn't a trade proposal in the traditional sense, it was a blog appreciation gift, or BAG, as the kids might be calling it.

I'm familiar with the RAK (random act of kindness), as I've been fortunate enough to receive a few over the years, but a blog appreciation gift is a new one to me. Are BAG's the new RAK's? If so, I'm all for it. 'Blog appreciation gift' sounds much more meaningful, or at least it does if you're a blogger on the receiving end of one. I suppose it wouldn't have the same effect if you weren't a blogger. See what you're missing non-bloggers. If BAG's are gonna become a thing, that'll be just another reason for everyone to ditch those lesser mediums (Twitter, YouTube, etc.) and start a blog :)

Anyway, this BAG consisted of three cards, including the Bo Extra Bases, which is a card I just saw for the first time in one of Tom's recent posts. I'm mostly only interested in stuff from Bo's playing days, but I never bought any packs of Extra Bases, and I still haven't looked through all of his cards that I might want; so that's how I've apparently been able to go almost 30 years without seeing this particular card. Any other time, this card would be the star of the envelope, but the second card stole the show for me...

John Anderson is one of my all-time favorite character actors. If you have a favorite television series from the 50's-80's, he probably appeared on an episode. He certainly appeared on a number of my favorite shows: The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Project U.F.O., Night Gallery, and MacGyver, to name a few. He also had bit parts in two of my favorite films, Psycho and The Satan Bug. The only two cards he ever got where he's this visible are both in Pacific's Eight Men Out set. I think I have both of them on my want list, as I need a couple for various themed pages/collections, the two primary of those being the Perry Mason and Twilight Zone collections. Which one will this particular card go in, I do not know yet.

And I mentioned that this mailing consisted of three cards, but the third one is for my Portland Beavers collection, and since I don't like to double-dip, I'm gonna hold back on showing that one here and instead use it to dust off my Portland Beavers blog (and start a new series) sometime within the next few weeks.

Many thanks to Tom for the BAG. It was greatly appreciated!

13 comments:

  1. You're welcome, and again, I appreciate your blog. I hope to get some more BAGs out to bloggers before the end of the year, so ya'll keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't familiar with Anderson so I looked him up. He played Judge Landis in both Eight Men Out and the Babe Ruth movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with me not being interested in sports films, I've not seen either.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear the Portland Beavers blog is up for a revival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then you have yourself to thank for that :)

      Delete
  4. Those Extra Bases cards are tremendous! As a Minor League blogger, I would love to see the Portland Beavers blog getting rolling again. That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the posts on that blog require so much time and effort on my part, and I just haven't had the energy for them since around the start of summer. Of course, it would probably be a lot easier if research and writing came more natural to me, but they don't, so it isn't.

      Delete
  5. Secure the BAG, lol. Nice little blogger gift from Tom. It's great to see some Christmastime cards distributed among the bloggers. I've apparently made his 'nice' list as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looked up John Anderson on Google (images) and didn't recognize him. But after glancing at all of the shows he made appearances on... I'm sure I've seen him before (just don't remember it).

    Extra Bases is a cool product. I think it's cool that Fleer produced Tall Boy cards for all 4 major sports that year. Maybe one day I'll get around to purchasing all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hurts my heart to hear someone say that.

      I liked the Jam Session sets, but never bought any until much later.

      Delete