Thursday, December 14, 2023

Chilly Willie


After closing out last year with a trade that netted me nineteen new 1962 Canadian Post's, I foolishly thought that this year might be the year that I'd make some serious progress on that set. Silly me! 

Turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried. I started the year with 20 cards for the set, and I'm ending it with 21. That's right, despite my best attempts, I've managed to add all of one card to the set this year. Willie Davis here is that lone addition. 

1962 was Willie's third season in the bigs (second full-time), and he ended up setting what would be career bests in runs (103) and home runs (21) for a Dodgers team that won 102 games; but still finished one game back in the N.L.

It was a pretty disappointing year as far as this set was concerned, but thanks to Sportlots seller champion and the very reasonable price that he attached to this card, I didn't have to finish the year by laying an egg.

11 comments:

  1. Slow progress is still progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Canadian Post are toughies for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't have any myself. They don't come cheap!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they are a bit more difficult for those of us who are located south of the border.

      Delete
  3. Look on the bright side, you did get one card. Can't count the number of things I've got working that I haven't scored one more card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and I've got a few sets that I didn't add anything to this year as well.

      Delete
  4. Based on your progress on the other vintage Post sets you're building, I'm guessing you were pretty active in trying to add singles for this set. Maybe they were much more rare than the ones from the states. On a positive note, at least you landed 20 in one trade. With a little luck, hopefully you'll stumble across a few other collectors with stacks to trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped trading on the TCDB, so it's gonna be a lot more difficult to find someone with any of these for trade.

      Delete
  5. If I meet any Canadian collectors throughout 2024, I'll definitely ask if they have any of these Post cards. I'd imagine they're more plentiful up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can gather, they're considerably easier to get up there.

      Delete