Sunday, December 3, 2023

A Post post (Part 1)

For someone whose generally as unfocused in all aspects of their life as I am, I've been surprisingly focused when it comes to card collecting the last few months.

I think I'm past the days of being distracted by shiny objects, and aside from a handful of guys, player collecting hasn't been doing much for me, so I'm pretty much left with just sets to focus on. And that's what I've been doing.

One of my primary focuses has been on the '61-63 Post sets. I've acquire maybe 30 across the three sets since October, and while most of them have just been commons, they've all been new to me, and even more importantly; each one of them is one card closer to completing their respective sets.

Not wanting to bombard folks with too many cards in one post (like I used to do), I thought I'd break the Post's into two posts, '61 and '62 today, and then, since there's more of them, give the 63's there own post next weekend.

Don Cardwell played on a lot of bad teams and more often than not, finished seasons with a losing record. In fact, all but three of his fourteen seasons were finished with a losing record. His first winning season would come in 1961 when he went 15-14 for a Cubs team that finished 64-90-2.

I generally strive for a bit better condition on my Post cards than this, but for less than two bucks I couldn't not get Saint Ron. Of course, one of the nicest things about Post cards is that they are one of the few types of cards that you can trim; and not be called all kinds of bad names my folks on the internet. And for the record, I did clean these edges up a bit before it went into the binder.

I've got a few more 61's sitting in my COMC account, but it'll be a while before I get those. I've done a bit better with the 62's though...

Usually overshadowed by brother Ken, Clete still had more than a respectable career; and one that most guys going into the pros would love to have. He also ended up with one more ring than his brother, though I'm sure playing for the Yankees played a bit of a part in that.

The good folks of Post wound up being a bit off with their prediction. Early finished the '62 season with a record of 7-15, which left him sitting at 299 wins. #300 would come the following season (his last). Between his gout and the mileage that he had incurred, those last two seasons sound like they were an absolute slog to get through. Of course, if he hadn't lost a few seasons to the war, he probably would've reached 300 a few years earlier, and most likely would've been retired before this set was released.

This card isn't a short print, but does tend to sell for a bit more than your average card in the set. Don't ask me why though. It's not a HOF bump, because there are a number of those from the set that sell for less. And to my knowledge, there aren't a lot of rabid Early Wynn collectors out there. I guess if anyone knows what's what, I'd love to hear about it.

After a poor start to the '62 season, Willie was traded to Cleveland after just 11 games. He put up serviceable numbers with the Indians, but still started the next season in the minors. He got called back up but struggled mightily during limited playing time, and would be done in the majors by seasons end.

1962 saw Albie set personal bests in games played (which naturally led to bests in plate appearances and at-bats), runs scored, doubles, and triples.

Harmon might just be the most common HOFer from this set, and is therefor often the cheapest. I probably could've held out for a nicer copy (I did clean this one up a bit though), but this one came in a small lot. I have no doubt a better one will probably be gotten in another lot (there's one in practically every '62 Post lot that ever shows up on eBay) at some point, and when it is, this one will be given away to whoever needs it.

Joe is one of only 18 players to hit four home runs in a single game, which he did against Brooklyn in 1954. I tend not to have a great memory when it comes to watched sporting events, but I do vividly recall watching Mike Cameron accomplish this feat back in '02. Of course, that game was also memorable because Seattle scored ten runs in the first inning, with four of those runs being a pair of back-to-back home runs by Bret Boone and Mike Cameron.

It's nice to have the both of the Boyer boys out of the way, at least for '62. I've noticed a big push in recent years for Ken to make the HOF. Admittedly, I'm terrible at figuring out who should and who shouldn't be enshrined, but with that being said, I've looked at his numbers on multiple occasions and am not seeing what the pro-Ken crowd is. I do see a really good player, just not one whose career screams HOF.

Despite my recent focus on set collecting, there are occasions where it's very difficult not to add certain cards to player collections instead. This is one of those instances. It's not terribly expensive, so I can get another one at some point, but the temptation to add it to Dick's pages was very strong.

I mentioned at the beginning of the post that I have some more Post's sitting in my COMC account, which were gotten during the recent Black Friday sales. I saw a number of a people lamenting online this year over the lack of deals during the sales, which is funny, I did quite well as far as finding things that I thought were good prices go. I'm not gonna try to bullshit anyone by saying that this years offerings were as good as they were ten years ago (those days are not coming back), but all-in-all I did pretty well. The lack of free shipping this year was kind of a letdown though. I was still gonna have my stuff shipped after the sales ended, but after thinking about it some, I figured I might as well wait until after the new year to do so. At least that way I'll be able to avoid the rush, and possibly be able to add a few more cheapies to the shipment in the meantime.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoy collecting these as I like them too (as well as their more recent counterparts from the 90s). By the way, if you put together a wantlist I may be able to get more for you at future shows--a guy a buy from has some in his 8/$20 box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lists for set stuff are up to date on the TCDB. And depending on condition, and who the cards are of (commons can still be had for a buck or less), that may or may not be a good deal.

      Delete
  2. I'm slowly working the Giants run of these. Have to remember to search for Jell-O some years because of price variances. Is always weird to find that certain common-worthy players (like Willie Kirkland or Joe Amalfitano) command higher prices than Willie Mays. I always conclude that they must've appeared only on something unpopular like Grape Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and that more Willie Mays boxes were purchased, and saved in card form, than those of a Willie Kirkland.

      Delete
  3. Oh and I'm looking forward to when you get the 1962 Wally Post so you can write your Post Post post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked, I still don't have Wally, so I might just take you up on that (challenge) whenever I get one.

      Delete
  4. Nice Posts! The Don Cardwell bothers me because Post listed him with 100 too few career innings so his career ERA is listed as 5.33 instead of the correct 4.44.

    Like you I did just fine over Black Friday - in my case the key to getting good deals is to buy obscure stuff no one else wants, like German soccer cards from 1957 and Venezuelan Winter League cards of nobodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get a little older you'll find that there are a lot worse things to worry about than incorrect stats on a 60+ year-old piece of cardboard.

      Yeah, I don't see a lot of modern soccer fans caring too much about players from that far back. And as far as your nobodies go, just remember, they once were somebody to someone :)

      Delete
  5. I find that the write-ups on the '61s and '62s are fun to read. They're pretty colorful sometimes. Less so the '63s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed any difference in the write-ups. I'll look next time I get the binder out though.

      Delete
  6. Makes me wish that I had some Honey Combs right now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been finding more cheap Posts at shows recently for some reason. They're not on the same level as Hostess/Kellogg's for me, but I can never resist picking them up here and there. I've also never seen that Wynn before - gonna have to keep an eye out for a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking that I might actually have to try and finally go to a show again, just so I can see if there are any deals to be had on some of the sets that I've been working on; especially the Posts. And knowing you, you'll probably be the one person to find a copy of the Wynn for a buck or less.

      Delete
  8. Lol... I tend to be pretty focused when it comes to work and family... but the one area that's taken a hit the past six to eight months has been card collecting. But ever since the Thanksgiving break I've been trying to turn things around and get back into the hobby swing of things.

    30 new cards for any vintage set build is impressive in my book. Love the determination!
    Rooting for you on these set builds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the year that you've had, it isn't that surprising to hear that something as unimportant as cards would've taken a hit. Hopefully next year will be better for you in all regards :)

      Thanks. These two may actually be completable for me, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up though.

      Delete
  9. These are such cool cards! I have been craving a vintage set build and I have thought long and hard about these Posts. These look like so much fun. I am probably going to go after the Red Man Tobacco cards, but your last two posts are making me reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Man cards are really nice, and I too have contemplated trying to chase one of (or all of) those sets. Which reminds me, I think I still have one sitting in a scan folder that's been waiting to be blogged about for at least a year now.

      Delete