Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas cards from The Collector

[Alternate title: Chris-mas cards from The Collector]

After having not done so for the last few years, it feels a bit weird to be posting on Christmas again. I don't normally have much cause to do so anymore, so I don't. This year however, I do, so I am.

A number of bloggers go out of their way to send cards out for Christmas each year, and while I have been a recipient of some of those mailings in the past, I wasn't expecting to be included in any this year. With that in mind, I was a bit surprised a few weeks ago when an envelope showed up from the former collector of pedestrians, Chris, who most people now know as just The Collector. Inside of said envelope was an actual Christmas card, which is always appreciated, and four cards for four different player collections.

Joe Rudi's don't ever show up in the mail (unless I buy them), so this might be the most appreciated card of the four that were sent. Even though it hasn't been by design, I think I have more post-playing days of Joe than not, and here's another one! I do really like though that, despite his last game taking place the year before, all three of the card companies still gave Joe a card in their '83 sets. I never collected '83 Donruss as a kid, and have only ever owned 3-4 cards from it, at best. Because of that, the design always feels a bit foreign to me. I kind of like it, and don't like it, at the same time; if that's possible.

I can't say it with absolute certainty, but this feels like it might be the only new Stan Humphries that I got this year. With most of my attention being focused on sets for at least the last half of the year, a lot of my player collections have started collecting dust; Stan being one of the dustier. I've gotta figure out a way to balance the two a little better. As for the card, I don't remember Collector's Edge ever making any chunky cards, but this ones definitely got some chunk to it.

If I had bought this one myself, you would've never seen this scan. But, since someone sent it to me, you are. Despite the atrocious scan, I do like these old Skybox Thunder and Lightning cards. After seeing how the front turned out, I didn't even bother with the back; but the Lightning is Stevie Atwater. I'm a bit biased, but to me, this card features the sets best pairing. Since I collect both of these guys I had two copies on my want list. The Dennis Smith collection is much further along, so that's where this one will be headed.

I just mentioned a few posts back that I didn't get nearly as many new (to me) Bo's this year as I would've liked, and then as fate would have it, a new one shows up. This one is definitely new too. I'm sure I've seen a few cards from this particular set on the blogs, but my brain is telling me that I've never seen it before. It looks like there's some design element missing on the bottom part of the card. Panini doesn't usually leave so much empty white on their cards. It's another modern card with a bonkers amount of gloss as well. I'd really like to know how they do that. Nice photo though. The lack of logos aren't as noticeable here as I've seen on a lot of Panini's other products in recent years. I appreciate that.

Many thanks to Chris for thinking of me this holiday season. To everyone else that didn't, screw off Merry Christmas!😄

11 comments:

  1. Collectors Edge seems to have made a lot of unusual cards. Shiny and different shapes and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're most welcome, Jon. I'm just trying to keep the old gift giving spirit alive. I didn't receive any blogger cards this Christmas either (didn't even get anything from the TCDB Secret Santa exchange) but that's okay because it really is more fun for me to shop for others. I'm glad I was able to find a few cards for your PC, especially that Atwater/Smith.

    Merry Christmas (a day late)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're fighting a losing battle. I briefly thought about seeing if there was enough interest to revive the blogger Secret Santa, but after remembering how poorly the last attempt went/knowing that none of the bigger names will participate/seeing bloggers who never participated in ours flocking to the TCDB version, I decided not even to try. And with everyone being in their own ass these days, I don't see it ever returning. That sucks to hear that you were ghosted. If you wanted to create some waves over there, publically calling out the ghoster might produce some results.

      Delete
  4. Much much belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an even more belated Merry Christmas to you, Jerold!

      Delete