Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Mick and The Stilt

Let me start off by saying that isn't going to be a post about some new buddy cop movie, despite a title giving that impression. Rather it will be to show my two splurge purchases from this past weekend's card show.

There were plenty of other cards gotten at the show, but those will have to wait for future posts. More money was spent than planned as well. But I have learned the hard way that if a good deal (or deals)presents itself, it is usually a good idea to jump on it, because you might not ever get a chance to get the item for that price again. I have had a number of instances in which I didn't take advantage of that "deal of a lifetime", and most of those instances are still haunting me.

First up is a card of a fellow you normally wouldn't expect to find for anywhere near a reasonable to good price at a show.


1968 Topps Mickey Mantle #280:
This came from my favorite seller who unfortunately has moved out of state and won't be setting up at the shows nearly as often anymore. He is the one who always has about a dozen dime boxes that attract attendees (myself included) like flies to you know what. He usually doesn't have a lot of vintage, so I was somewhat surprised to see that he had brought quite a bit for sale. Another thing I really like about this seller (Jim) is the fact that he will negotiate back and forth until a price that both parties find satisfactory is reached, which can be pretty interesting to see (or hear, if you are looking through his boxes while it's occurring). The price on this would be about the same as ebay on a good day, make that a very good day.

On to the second splurge card.

1972-73 Topps Wilt Chamberlain #1:
This one came from a seller I hadn't seen before who didn't have prices on anything, which is usually a bad sign for me as it means the price will have to be looked up in an ever present beckett. But I figured it was worth a shot since this card has been alluding me for a while now. So after a mobile version of the beckett was consulted by the seller a price was quoted and then countered by me which was accepted instantly, I was able to knock another big name out of this set. I paid about the same price on this one as you could get on ebay, but at least I didn't have to worry about some slight crease/wrinkle that seller either missed or failed to mention and the go through all the trouble of sending it back.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

15 comments:

  1. Two great cards. I've had the Wilt for years. Don't have the Mick from 68. Had too recently purchase a 67 for my set build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you were able to get a good deal on your '67 Mantle. Was your Wilt another of your original pack pulls?

      Delete
  2. Awesome cards. That Mick is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tony. I won't disagree as to it's excellence, although I'm still not used to making these kind of purchases. But no regrets.

      Delete
  3. That Mantle is the shite. Nice catch.
    It looks like the Wilt is in even better condition than the Mick. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The wilt is definitely the better of the two, condition wise. But other than one corner the Mantle is in pretty darn good shape.

      Delete
  4. Very nice pickups. Those look to be in great shape too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider both to be an amazing condition. Don't ask me though, where "amazing" fits in the traditional condition/grading scale.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! It has taken me a long time to get that card, much longer than I would have liked. I'm glad too, that I can mark another big name off a checklist.

      Delete
    2. The 1972-73 set has always been the hardest one of the 70s for me to find. Has the same been true for you? Percentage wise I think I have less of that one than even the 1970-71 set. Of course, I have not really chased it since I got an internet connection/ebay account, but I'm going on when we used to have shows around here, the last one of which was held in 2002.

      Delete
    3. I think I have had more difficulty with the 1971-72 set. The biggest problem for me with the '72-73 set is that I keep encountering the same 30-40 cards, which makes for a much slower set build. And if I was relying solely on card shows, I'm fairly certain that these sets would never be completed. You really should check ebay or COMC if you are wanting to complete your set. I have noticed a significant price increase on pre 1973 basketball in the last year or two, so I have been trying to work on these sets as much as I can.

      Delete