Monday, October 16, 2017

The most important meal of the day

Time for another group of cards culled from my recently cleaned up photo/scan folders. Post cards are today's theme, with four from '61, and two form '62.

If I were able to focus on just a couple of sets at a time, the offerings from Post, and Hostess, would probably be the sets that I would put the most effort in to trying to complete. Besides just being fun, they also offer collector's the ability to pick up some of the bigger names from the 60's and 70's for a lot less than their Topps counterparts, which is certainly very appealing to a set collector who doesn't have an infinite amount of money to build said sets.

Will there ever be another World Series MVP selected from the losing team? I wouldn't put money on it.

First card: Yankee. Second card : Yankee killer!

I didn't recall ever hearing of a major leaguer who had graduated from Princeton before, which mad me think Dave might have been one of a select few, turns out there have been 29 Princeton graduates that have played in the bigs. Bonus fun fact: Apparently the matchup between Princeton University and Columbia University on May 17, 1938 was the first ever televised baseball game. Princeton ended up winning 2-1.

It seems strange to see Billy Martin with the Reds.

Thanks to a broken finger that never healed properly, his slugging potential would never fully mature.

Don has a little bit of water damage on the right side, which is something I normally try to avoid, but the just over a $1 price tag was just too cheap to pass up.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. Very underrated set. Nice pickups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There does seem to be a decent amount of collectors who don't like the Post cards, why, I'll never know!

      Delete
    2. There lots of mis cuts which turns some guys away

      Delete
    3. I guess it's there loss then.

      Delete
  2. Agree with Mr. Hoyle... these are awesome... but sometimes fly under the radar. I love the Martin. He looks so young. I'll always remember him from the early 80's during the Billy Ball era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything I've heard/read, I kind of wish I could have seen some of that Billy Ball era.

      Delete