Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Deerfield

For that last couple of months now, my mom has been a fairly regular attendee of a weekly auction that is held at a antique/consignment store, and while she has won a few things for me, said things haven't, at least until today's item, been anything that I thought anyone would care about seeing here on the blog.

Your looking at a 1922 yearbook from the Deerfield-Shields high school (now Highland Park high school) in Highland Park, IL., which according to the interwebs, is located roughly 25 north miles north of downtown Chicago.

I don't know how much she paid for it, but I know it to be fairly cheap, as she knows I don't like the thought of people spending a lot of money on me.

I haven't had the time do any research yet, other than to read that the school opened in 1886, and has been in it's present location since 1900. With that being said, I thought a few people might be interested in seeing a few hastily taken pictures, so...

The spine is still really tight, so it was a little difficult trying to take pictures without damaging the 90+ year old book. There are plenty of signatures in the book, which is always fun, especially if one of them turns out to be from someone of some note.

I haven't had a lot of time to read it yet either, but from I can gather, football was, at the time, the school's primary sport.

The best of the best got a couple of pages devoted to them. I really like the layout of those couple of pages.

I believe that this page is referring to the sprint football player's, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I included this photo primarily because of the birthdates, as young Joe Proctor's exact year of birth seems to be missing, and the "05" portion of Wallace Mitchell's birthdate was printed after the name of his attended grammar school. Oh, and the nicknames are pretty great too.

It isn't mentioned why, but the last baseball team that the school had had prior to these kids, was in 1918.

According the page opposite of the one, the lightweight's are shown in the top picture, and the heavyweight's in the lower.

The young ladies had a quite a few options when it came to sports as well.

Of all the clubs, this one is my favorite.

All the club sections are divided by a title page, this is probably my favorite of those.

With this most recent addition, I now have around a dozen old yearbooks, this being the third oldest. At some point, I would love to do a series of yearbook posts, especially since two of the books I own, are among my most prized possessions. I would only want to include the books that I have completely researched in that series, and as of right now, that number is limited to just three, as such research is very time consuming. I guess if anyone would be interested in reading such a series, maybe you could let me know in the comments section, that way I'd if anyone would actually be viewing those posts or not.

Since the back of the yearbook advertisements are always fun, I thought I'd end the post by taking a look at a few:






Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. Neat stuff. My family's originally from the Chicago area, giving me a little extra interest in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking a look then, as not a lot of other people did.

      Delete
  2. Fun to read through. "Up a stump for a quarterback." That's a turn of phrase I've never heard before. Also, I like how nicknames of the players were included.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think you'd find too many kids these days being called "butts" or "boob".

      Delete
  3. Love the ads. Ended up looking up the Zion candy company, but it looks like they closed their doors years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we can now say that, as far as the ads go, you have done more research than I :)

      Delete
  4. i love the old sports unis and advertising. I'm sucker for items such as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, if it's old and paper, there's a good chance that I will be interested in it.

      Delete