Friday, August 24, 2018

The smallest prize

I'm assuming that a lot of the people reading this are familiar with Chris' (The Collector) recently wrapped up Sports Card Tour series, aka the unofficial card blog series of the year.

And of course, those who do already know of it, know that there was a contest involved as well -- which was a points earned for comments type of deal, one's accrued points then determined their position in a two-round prize draft.

By the by, if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, you should go and check out the series. It's obviously too late to get in on the contest, but you'll still probably get some enjoyment out of reading the 2 1/2 year-long (insert smiley face emoji) series.

So anyway, back to the draft, which I somehow ended up having a fairly high position in. There were a lot of fabulous prizes to be had, just not a lot for me, although there was one particular thing that I very much wanted.

I can't remember when this 1950 Bowman Ray Coleman RC was added to the prize pool, but I had been eyeing it ever since it had been. My interest in older Bowman seems to be growing as of late, which is kind of funny since my interest in so many other card related things has been diminishing pretty rapidly.

Ray's journey was an interesting one, the SABR folks did a really nice article about it, one that I would definitely recommend reading if you have a few extra minutes.

I still feel a little weird about getting something just for reading, and commenting, on a series of posts that I would've done so even if their wasn't a contest attached to them -- but I do have some stuff set aside for Chris (stuff that I've been meaning to send for forever and a day now), so to make it feel less strange, I'll just consider it a blind trade of sorts.

I ended up passing on my second round pick (there was no need to get greedy), but Chris still ended up sending a little something extra with the Coleman:



Normally I'm not a fan of reprints, that being said, these are kind of neat. Not only are they really well made (weight and texture wise), but after doing some Googling, I found that the history behind these particular cards is pretty interesting too (so is the blog that the link takes you to).

Chris, hopefully your SCT series will continue to get praise heaped upon it, more so than it already has. And thank you for the card(s), as mentioned, I do have some stuff for you, which I will seriously try to get mailed out sometime in the next week or so.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of the comments and compliments! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the series and that you were able to find one prize that fit your collection. The Diamond Stars reprints were included mainly to protect the Coleman, but I'm glad that you enjoyed those as well. I will give those linked articles a read once I'm able to get back online. Thanks for doing the research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, since you scanned the back of that Goose Goslin it reminded me of something my father in law found in his research on NJ cemeteries (for his Civil War books) ...Goslin is the only baseball HOFer buried in the Garden State.

      Delete
    2. Technically speaking, I didn't do any research, I merely added links to the research that other's have done.

      Civil War books?

      Delete
  2. The backstory on those Den's Collectors cards was indeed great reading. Never seen those before and they look extremely well made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they might be the best quality reprint-esque cards that I've ever encountered.

      Delete