Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A blog/card show question

It's been almost two weeks since my last post, and what an almost two weeks it's been! Well, not really, but making it seem like I've been busy sure sounds nice. Truth be told, I just haven't felt very bloggy (posty?) as of late.

Only two things of note have happened during my mini vacation away from the blog -- I broke a toe, and I went to card show -- the card show being the more fun of the two.

I'm not gonna try to explain how I broke my toe (index toe on my left foot), but I will say that it happened while I was trying to do something that I should be old enough to know that I shouldn't be trying to do anymore. I've broke a few toes in my time, so while painful, I am pretty adept at making toe splints (I used the bottom of an old plastic Gladware container this time), which means that there was no need for a trip to the doctor. Although this one was a little different from the previous times in that, judging by the bruising and sore spots, I'm pretty sure that there are two small fractures (both the knuckles), so I am having to wrap it a little more carefully than I normally would -- but all in all, I'm grateful that it was only a toe (I sprained the middle toe too), because it could've been much worse.

As for the card show, it was one of the now twice yearly 180-table extravaganza's, and not surprisingly, it was pretty awesome (save for walking around with a broken toe). Lot's of cheap stuff was found, for me, and for a lot of you as well:

With all that was bought, I can't help but wonder if people reading the blog actually enjoy seeing everything, especially when it's spread out across 6 or 7 posts? Or would a two-post "best of" be more preferable?

In the past I've shown everything, but after the last series of card show posts I mentioned that I was leaning more towards going the "best of" route for future recaps, however, I am quite prone to changing my mind... and I did say that before acquiring this awesome haul.

Normally I don't really care what people do or don't want to see anymore (hence all the VHS posts), but this is something that I've wondered about for a couple of years now, so I figured I'd finally ask for some input, especially before I start scanning/photographing everything. All opinions and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

25 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of the best-of-the-best approach...sucks about your toe. Was this the Nashville show you were at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I always try to narrow my card show recaps to a single post (sometimes two if it's a bigger show), but I certainly don't mind reading a handful of different posts about other people's hauls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "it happened while I was trying to do something that I should be old enough to know that I shouldn't be trying to do anymore"
    That's how I tore my shoulder. I think we all need these "teaching moments" as we get older.

    As to the posts, it's your blog, do whatever makes you happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your probably right about those teaching moments, the trick is of course remembering them the next time you're about to do something stupid.

      And as far as doing dumb things goes, a broken toe seems a little more desirable when compared to a tear in one's shoulder.

      Delete
  4. Post card haul photos if you must but i wanted to see pictures of your bruised and broken toe. If card pickups are for trading, I think 'best of the best' is fun. Folks can then wonder if they'll be the lucky recipient(s). Be happy you broke only a toe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you really see want to see such pictures? Are you secretly (or not so secretly) one of those people who likes to see photos of gross things?

      Delete
  5. I do an overall shot of the haul like you put up here, and then break it down by sport, or sets and player collections. If it's a whole stack of singles from the same set, I'll just fan 'em out or show the stack. Sometimes you can just show the notable names and leave the rest off to the side. Any more than six or eight pictures gets a bit long for one post, so if it's a lot I'll split into multiples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the flip side though, there has plenty of times that I would've liked to have seen more pictures of your show/card shop hauls, especially with some of great deals that you have found on vintage stuff.

      Delete
  6. Post what you want...and, yeah, that broken toe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the broken toe. I'm a fan of the 'best of' route. Awesome Kurt angle relic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're interested, all of the wrestling relics will be shown sometime in the upcoming week.

      Delete
  8. You should have called a toe truck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm open to either way as for the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ll read it no matter how you post it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will read whatever you post. I prefer all of of rather than highlight but I understand why you don't want to. When I posted everything from a COMC order it got kind of boring. By the end I was struggling to not just post "here's a card, here's another"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all too well of that struggle in which you speak, heck, I have that problem with just regular posts sometimes.

      Delete
  12. It depends. All lot of times I'll show all the cards I got unless it was a bunch of singles from one set. Then I'll just post one card and say how many I got from that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to go that route with a few things.

      Delete
  13. I am a fan of the best of type posts. Bummer on the broken toe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear about your toe... but pretty darned impressed that you ended up making a homemade splint out of household items. That totally awesome. As for card show hauls... I say do what makes you feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not that impressive, all you really need is something fairly rigid, and in my case, something that can be cut. Then just slide it under the broken toe and whichever one you're going to tape it to, draw an outline, cut the shape out, and then tape the toes to the splint.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for all suggestions guys (and Julie), not surprisingly there were quite a few different opinions. I think I will try to go the best of route from now on, but it'll probably take a few shows to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete