Sunday, October 14, 2018

COMC Sunday's: 1966 Topps Batman (Red Bat)

It's been a few months since the last time I did one of these Sunday posts, you can be chalk that up to me being stupid and thinking that I can wait until Saturday night to write them, which never works. But I'm actually thinking ahead for once, and writing this on a Thursday!

So today I've got a few cards from the second of the five Batman sets that Topps released in 1966, which was due in large part to the success of the Adam West television series.

The second series -- also known as the Red Bat set -- was a lot more over the top than the first series, which I'm assuming, made it very appealing to kids at the time.

Thanks to the sensationalized nature of it's subject matter, this is by far my favorite of the three Norman Saunders Batman sets.

Young me is screaming from the past "Why didn't we have this card 25+ years ago?", to which I have no answer, other than maybe it's because it was more expensive in the pre-internet era... and a little more difficult to find.

A back, just in case anyone cares.

Batman looks like he's in the process of filling up his tights, not that I blame him though... I'd probably do the exact same thing if I was out on a burning rope that high above the city.

 Where do I sign up to get a portable bat signal of my own?

Sometimes giant snakes need hugs too!

"Dang it, Joker! I've told you a thousand times, leave the room before you do that!".

Some might disagree with me, but imagewise, I think that this is the most iconic/memorable card from the set, so much so, that I'm of the opinion that it should've been card #1 (or rather, card #1a).

If I can duplicate the success that I had with writing this one earlier in the week, come next Sunday, I might just have a few cards to show from what is possibly the most famous 1960's non-sport set.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

11 comments:

  1. Those are sweet. Was watching Batman last night on MeTV. Have you ever read the Batbook? That as well as a Portable Bat Signal are both available on Amazon. Not that I'm promoting the website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Batbook, didn't even know such a book existed. I don't see any Portable bat signal on Amazon, all I see is another overpriced copy of the same card, and a Lego flashlight.

      Delete
    2. How about the bay? https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DC-Comics-Batman-5-Metal-Die-Cast-Bat-Signal-w-Rotating-Super-Bright-LED/362456960893?hash=item54641e4f7d:g:2kIAAOSwu5ZbceV2

      Delete
    3. I should have added the Batbook covers in depth every 1960's Batman television episode that aired. If you liked the show, you'll like the book.

      Delete
    4. That one on eBay, while interesting, isn't quite like the flashlightesque bat signals on the card, it seems like the only option would be to try and make one.

      Delete
  2. Love this set. I only have one card from any of the three 1966 sets...I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only set I have any cards from, and I too need to fix that!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. There were five series? Holy-crap Batman. That's a lot of vintage to collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, three of the Norman Saunders painted sets, and two different sets of photo cards from the television series.

      Delete
  4. Holy pasteboard Picasso Batman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost used a more crass "Holy [insert funny thing her] Batman" line in this post, but thought better of it.

      Delete