Thursday, October 25, 2018

Baseball from the budget boxes

In case you haven't heard, there's a World Series going on, with that in mind, I thought it would be an appropriate time to show off some of the baseball cards that I got at the big show a couple of weeks back.

I did pretty good at this show as far as not spending too much on a single item goes (well, other than the Bob Woodward autograph), in fact everything in this post (and the coming basketball/football posts) came from either a dime box, 5/$1 box, or a 6/$1 box. It was definitely a good show for the budget collectors (they always are, but this one was better than usual), I know this because a) I found a boatload of cheap things, and b) I encountered quite a few other people who were doing quite well for themselves just by sticking to the budget boxes.

I was a big fan of Jose's as a kid, this '86 Topps Traded was still a $20+ card during my peak baseball card collecting years, I never owned a copy back then because of it's hefty price tag, now thanks to a 6/$1 box... I own three!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this Bo is still up there when it comes to one of the more popular cards from the overproduction era.

Here's a couple of lower end, but still very fun, inserts.

The previous couple of shows had been pretty good Ichirowise, this one not so much, although it's entirely possible that I just wasn't looking at the right tables. I also broke my streak of finding/getting copies of his 2012 Topps Chrome refractors, but I still managed to find at least one shiny, and one not so shiny (unless you count gloss as shine), Ichiro.

Cheap Junior inserts are always a good thing, especially now that I'm sort of collecting him again.

I'm not entirely sure as to whether or not I want to collect the 2013 Cooperstown Lumberjacks anymore, but either way, I was gonna be passing these up at 15 cents apiece. I actually found ten of them, with the four shown being the best (see, I'm trying).

Double the sexy!

I showed great restraint by not buying every single one of the 2013 Emerald Green's that I came across, the same thing could be said about the Platinum Diamond Anniversary's above, because there was plenty of each to be had... another sign that my set collecting days are coming to an end.

There's always plenty of cheap shiny cards to be had at pretty much every show, everywhere! This is a small sampling of the bright stuff that I brought home with me.

I thought I'd do something a little different to finish off this post, something that's sort of Fuji-esque, and count down my top three favorite baseball cards from this show:

3. 1997 Topps Stadium Club Rey Ordonez Patent Leather: This is just a really cool insert, and it was the first time that I had seen one in person... it didn't disappoint!

2. 1995 Score Bo Jackson Gold Rush: What's not to like about this card, it's a Bo sunset card, and it's gold (it also had a bunch of dust on it that I didn't see until I added the image to the post).

1. 1987 Topps Jackie Gutierrez: Now I know some of you are probably going "Whaaaaaaa???????????", before any heads start exploding, let me just turn this bad boy over and show why it's #1...

... now do you get it? If you've been coming around here for awhile, than you already know of my affinity for blank backs -- if you're new to these parts, well, I have quite the affinity for blank backs! Finding a true blank back in the wild has become pretty uncommon for me, so this was very unexpected, and pretty much worth the trip alone (and yes, I know it's not really worth anything, but that's not the point).

For anybody who's waiting to see the basketball and football portion of things, I have no idea when I'll be getting to those, I don't plan on going to another show for a couple of months, so I'm not in much of a hurry to get those two posts done.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

12 comments:

  1. Kudos on the great cards. I would not have been able to show the same restraint on the emerald greens - just so shiny and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are pretty, but I've been trying to cutback on buying so many shiny parallels from sets that I'm not collecting.

      Delete
  2. That Rey Ordonez is fantastic! I've never seen those before. Congrats on snagging a blank back, too.

    I'll patiently await your posts about the football/basketball finds. I'm going to try and make it to a card show in December if the budget allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping that you're able to make it to the show. After not being able to go to one for so long, two in one year would be quite the coup for you. Same show as last time?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it would be the same show. They host one every month, usually the last Sunday of the month but in December it will be the 23rd. Since I'll be there visiting my mom for Xmas anyway I'll at least be in town.

      Delete
  3. Can't say I've ever seen one of those Patent Leathers before, very cool! Ultra was always good for some quirky insert designs (even if many of them are nearly impossible to find these days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I don't remember Ultra having a lot of "different" inserts, when it comes to quirky, all I remember is Pacific.

      Delete
  4. Damn. Those 3 Cansecos for 50¢? That's an awesome deal. Love the countdown too ;) Like Nick... haven't seen that Patent Leather insert. But I'm headed over to COMC to see if I can snag a copy for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't keep track of a lot of card prices, but even with all of his troubles, I still thought that his rookie went for a little more... guess I was wrong!

      Delete
  5. The Bo Jackson card is my favorite card ever. :-) So yeah, I think it should be pretty popular!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you're not biased at all, right? :)

      Delete
    2. I am biased to the extent that I appreciate greatness. :-)

      Delete