Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Almost like it was meant to be

I recently pulled this ad out of water-damaged free comic book that I picked up. 

Normally I wouldn't have even bothered picking up a comic, even if it was free, in such a state, but after flipping through it and finding this ad, undamaged (save for a bit of toning), I decided to take the book so that I could pull the ad out. I have quite a few books with this ad in them, and have always liked it, but wasn't going to be destroying a whole book just to get a copy of the ad. 

It's been a few years now since I moved away from set building, but as was the case last year with the old Post sets, I've really been wanting to start working on the Hostess sets again. Thankfully I never sold, or gave away, any of what I had, so at least I won't be starting from scratch if I do give in to the urge. 

I haven't gone so far as to make any checklists or anything yet, but I do know that I've got at least 60% of the '76 set, and maybe 10-15 cards for each of the other sets. Obviously 10-15 cards isn't very far along, so I'd probably just start with 1976 and see how much joy I get out of trying to complete it before making any decisions about going after the other sets. I tend to believe that things happen for a reason, so finding this ad, at this particular time, almost makes me think that the universe is telling me that, yes, I should start working on the set again. Why the universe would care about me of all people, doing something as trivial as this though... well, that's a whole 'nother matter; and one that is most certainly above my pay grade.

I knew that I didn't have Steve Garvey, but figured that I could at least recreate the right side of the page. Turns out I don't Have Joe Morgan either! The recreation doesn't look very good with only one card, especially when said card is overlapping the card that's supposed to be overlapping it. If nothing else, I have to at least get Joe and Steve so that I can properly reproduce the ad. 


On an unrelated note: I sent out 1/3 of the envelopes/packages from my recent giveaway last Wednesday, and am dropping off an even bigger batch at the post office later this morning. That leaves me with five packages (Matt K., Nick V., Dan, Al, and Merlin) and two PWE's (our resident teenage bloggers seem to be unable to respond to messages... kids!) left to do. And if all goes well, those last five packages should be done by the end of the week.

20 comments:

  1. I have some Star Wars comics from the late 1970s with Hostess baseball card ads. I should show them when I get to those years in Cake vs. Gum. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool ad and set. No rush on mine. If the non-responders are TCDB members, I may have their addresses. Email me and I'll see if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer, but I feel a little weird getting a minor's address from anyone other than them or their parents.

      Delete
  3. I say go for it! Complete that set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Hostess sets and '76 is complete for me. It was a lot of work, which is why I've been slow on the other pursuits. I grew up with those cards (tho mom never bought the junk) and I'm sure I saw that ad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and Bo are responsible for my resurging interest in them.

      Delete
  5. Very cool ad. I keep any related ads I find with those sets I'm collecting. Nice additions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ad and a good plan for a set build, it seems. Got the cards from your giveaway today. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for being a problem child teenage blogger lol. I haven't been on TCDB much recently so I didn't see your message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what you're supposed to be doing at that age :)

      Delete
  8. That is a really cool ad. I'd have done the same thing. Just too cool to to waste away in that damaged comic book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice ad. What was the comic book it came from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i remember seeing the ad in comics back then and taking note that garvey was one of the players featured. the line of my garvey collection is drawn, however, such that i don't include this ad in my collection even though there are some similar types of ephemera represented. you cutting the ad out is making me give some thought to doing the same at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought about you, because of the Garvey, and then NO, because of the set, when I saw it in there. I briefly thought too about seeing if either of you wanted it, but then I figured if there's any chance that I do start building the set again, that this ad would look really good in the binder's front slipcover.

      Delete
  11. This is my favorite Hostess set... and probably the only one I'd ever attempt to build. I guess if I ever do build the set, I'll have to track down one of these cool ads too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Design-wise, it is by far the best looking of the Hostess sets.

      Delete