Wednesday, February 13, 2019

These colors don't run

Today's post is going to be a perfect example of three things when it comes to me and my collecting habits: a) I'll apparently buy just about anything at a card show if the price is right, even though I'd be much better off just saving my money. b) My recent interest in collecting duplicates of things has really taken hold. c) Try as I might, I just can't do "best of" posts, especially when it comes to card show spoils.

As far as the "best of" posts go, I tried to do a few for the last couple of card show recaps, but I'm just not feelin' those, so it's back to anything and everything for me (unless it doesn't photograph or scan well, then it's out), my apologies to everyone who told me, because I asked, that they prefer the "best of" approach when it comes to show recaps.

If you saw my last post, you might recall that I mentioned that because I arrived so early to the show back in November, there weren't too many dealers set up yet, so I didn't have a lot of options right off the bat. Thankfully there was a guy who I hadn't seen before, who just so happened to have a pretty impressive spread, most of which was of the football variety - in fact, he had so much, that you'll see spread across two posts.

The first thing that caught my eye was a box of Prizm parallels, mostly from 2014, oh, and by the by, this is probably a good time to mention that all of this post is going to be Prizm football parallels, with the red, white, and blue's being the dominant color (hence the title).

Anyway, the stuff in the box wasn't priced, and when I asked about them, the guy gave me the old "just pick out what you want and we'll work on a price", which is normally a big no no for me, but again, I didn't have a lot of other options yet, so I took a chance.

There will be a few non-RWB's below, but the bulk of this shoe box was those, I started taking so many out that I had to remind myself that I was interested in working on the set, and to just try and focus on the guy's (duplicates and all) that I actually wanted.

Noticing the duplication yet?

Even though both Panini and Topps have used this Frank Gifford photo on more than enough cards, I still really like it, especially in this format.

Lance Alworth rainbow alert! I can't help but wonder if anybody else would have bought these that day if I hadn't, I sort of suspect that the answer is no, but that's okay, I don't mind buying stuff that nobody else wants... I do it all the time.
 
All of these guys were chosen because I either didn't have any cards of them, or because I only had 1 or 2 cards of them, but wanted more.

Retired star power.

Mostly still playing star power.

These were for the newly started Eric Dickerson collection.

These were my two favorite Prizm pick ups, purple prizmed Vikings just look so damn cool! It's funny too that their the same purple backgrounds, yet when scanned next to each other they came out as two different shades (the actual color is closer to Fran's background).

As mentioned, I found a few non-2014's that were of interest too, including this pair of blue 2013's. Quizz is probably my favorite Beaver of all-time, he was just so fun to watch, it's just too bad he wasn't able to do more in the NFL.

And finally, rounding out the post with a nifty 2015 blue Gronk, and a much less attractive 2016 green Steve Young. I really don't like the 2016 Prizm set, but it's hard for me to turn away a cheap Steve Young parallel.

When it came time to figure out a price for all of these, I was quoted a semi-decent, but not great, price - which was countered by me, and accepted after a few seconds of thought by the dealer. I think the only reason that he did accept it was because I was purchasing so much other stuff from his ten, and 25 cent boxes, some of which was shown in the last post, and the rest of the non-Prizm football will be seen in the next card show post.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Great looking cards. The colors really pop. The nice assortment of retired greats are great inclusions. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The retired players are who I'm primarily interested in, thankfully the 2014 set had a whole bunch of them in there.

      Delete
  2. You can add one of Art & Riggo to my pile. I'm up for your last email....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't planned on getting rid of any of these. And I know, I've been a bad emailer, I'll send off a reply this weekend.

      Delete
  3. I would love to trade for one of the Jerome Bettis'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned above, these were all for keeping, collecting duplicates has sort of become my thing as of late. But if you ever do any more COMC orders, Jerome can be had for next to nothing, especially during the big sales (Spring Cleaning, Black Friday, etc.).

      Delete
  4. Can't stand the Vikings... but those purple Prizms of Tarkenton and Carter are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your dislike stem from the Favre thing?

      Delete
    2. Nah. Just a Packers rival thing. Favre dropped a few notches after playing for them though.

      Delete
  5. So much shiny! I have to admit the purple Vikings cards are appealing (not because they're Vikings so much as the color match) I would have picked up a bunch of these if i saw them at a card show, so I don't blame you for hoarding dupes. In fact I think you're the reason why I'm even aware of Prizm. Just picked up a couple fat packs of 2015 at Blowout Cards and pulled the Gronk you have in blue (but mine came in a different color...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you've inadvertently influenced some of my collecting habits, I now find myself drawn to the color matching cards, which is something that I never even paid attention to until you started showing them on your blog - I consider this a good thing btw :)

      Delete
  6. If these had been the baseball RW&B Mojo variety, I would've taken every single one, dupe after dupe. I can't get enough of these cards. Most trade pals enjoy finding them in their package too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have even noticed them if they had been of the baseball variety, but if there's that much interest in them, I will be sure to keep an eye out for them from now on.

      Delete