Monday, February 4, 2019

Coming up short

Back in December, or was it November? Hmm, I guess I don't remember exactly when it was, but at some point in the not too distant past, Jared, the seemingly tireless trader from CMMDTO, had a post of nothing but trade bait that been acquired from a recent card show - and despite my disinterest in formal trading, I saw two cards that I really liked, so I went ahead and staked my claim on said cards.

My fears of any sort of formal trading were quickly dashed as the cards arrived in my mailbox less than a week after Jared's initial post, apparently this was going to be an informal trade, I can do that... at least most of the time!

A small problem ended up occurring on my part, in that after much searching, I only ended up finding one card that Jared needed (he has a much larger collection than I had realized) - this is what happens when you don't open any current products, and you've never had any reason look for cards of Diamondbacks at shows (I do now of course).

To Jared's credit, he wasn't bothered in the least by my unexpected lack of trading material (I really did think that I'd have multiple things for him), and didn't seem to mind waiting until I hit up the show at the end of February. It's going to be one of twice yearly giant shows, so thankfully I will have absolutely no difficulty in finding some stuff for him, as well as the other two people that I owe a return package (I've really been falling down on the job).

1997 Fleer Ultra Hitting Machines #18
 1710 hits over 15 seasons... I think that qualifies you as a Hitting Machine.

1998 Topps Tek #29 Pattern #27
I had stopped collecting baseball cards by 1998, so I never got to experience the original Tek brand. In fact I didn't even know that Topps had done any Tek sets during the 90's until just a couple of months ago when The Snorting Bull did a post about them. These cards are really nifty, and given the opportunity, I can definitely see myself picking up a few more somewhere down the line.

1995 Leaf Limited Bat Patrol #5
As mentioned already, the first two cards were from that initial trade post, this Junior came from Jared's TCDB trade bait, which I was encouraged to take a look at. Since I'm still not entirely sure as to how to use that site, trying to look at people's pages on there is a bit of chore, so I didn't end up looking at everything (that was probably a good thing in retrospect), but this particular card jumped out at me almost immediately... much like the foilized Bat Patrol does when looking at the card in person. A very nice addition to my recently restarted Griffey collection.

Thanks again for the cards, Jared! I really appreciate you not giving me the business for not having anything to send you right away, but I will, and hopefully it'll be good enough to have warranted the wait :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

9 comments:

  1. Hitting Machines are such a great looking card. I think this is why I tend to be so down on current inserts. These felt fun and unique. The current inserts just feel so generic (e.g. Stars of the Game) and look like an extended base card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took the words right off of my keyboard.

      Delete
    2. Modern inserts are very generic, probably because the "big two" don't even need to try anymore, as it's not like there's any other options out there.

      Delete
  2. Love the Hitting Machines card. I miss these types of die-cut insert sets, so much more craftsmanship and attention to detail in these older sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! This kind of creativity is long gone, and probably will never be coming back.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful Cam! I agree as above...die cut creativity lacks greatly in today's hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was one of those cards that I didn't know I wanted until I saw it!

      Delete
  4. That hitting machines card is pretty sweet. They had some great die cuts back in the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did, certainly much better that the die-cuts that are being produced today.

      Delete